Introduction and request for info

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SammycLingo

Introduction and request for info

Post by SammycLingo »

I’m Sam Lingo from San Antonio Texas. I have several good quality British bicycles but I also have a couple that I’m at a complete lose to explain it I. D. I was advised to ask here. It’s an old frame 1920 or30s with limiter bolts in the rear drop outs. These are not chain tugs or banjo bolts as on most old bikes
thirdcrank

Re: Introduction and request for info

Post by thirdcrank »

SammycLingo wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 8:30pm I’m Sam Lingo from San Antonio Texas. I have several good quality British bicycles but I also have a couple that I’m at a complete lose to explain it I. D. I was advised to ask here. It’s an old frame 1920 or30s with limiter bolts in the rear drop outs. These are not chain tugs or banjo bolts as on most old bikes
The bit I've highlighted is my excuse for not being able to understand your question. If you post some pictures that may help the membership more generally
hamster

Post by hamster »

You could try www.retrobike.co.uk where there is some very lively discussion of very old bikes, and also with a substantial North American membership.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Those adjusters were common in the 1970s and 1980s, and are most identified with the long Campagnolo 1010 road ends. They were invented before the B-tension screw on rear mechs came in. Before the B-tension screw, you adjusted the distance from the top jockey wheel to the rear sprockets - important for snappy shifting - by positioning the whole rear wheel. The dropout adjusters allowed you to fix the optimum position so you didn't need to find it again after replacing a wheel (e.g. to fix a puncture).

The B-tension screw made these, and horizontal dropouts on derailleur bikes, obsolete.
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

Picture would be good but could be for ensuring when wheel is taken out and put back it went to the same position which was important if using Sturmeys or a single speed . Some companies eg Chater Lea , Allin , Evans has special rear drop outs to enable quicker swapping of double fixed rear wheels . But they certainly weren’t quick !
Of course Campag then invented the modern quick release and made all that obsolete overnight
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

You could also try the Veteran-Cycle Club

https://v-cc.org.uk/
SammycLingo

Post by SammycLingo »

Trying to understand how to post a photo on this board. Any help would be appreciated
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

1. Create a free account at Photobucket: https://secure-beta.photobucket.com/register
(or flikr)

2. Upload a photo to your Photobucket or flickr account.

3. View your photo at Photobucket.

4. Find and copy the IMG code link.

5. Paste the link here.

(It doesn't have to be a Photobucket or flikr account).

Not my wisdom above, but I hope it helps.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

to post a picture from your own files you need to scroll down on the screen to attachments , add file and locate where the picture is saved on your device .
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
irc

Post by irc »

Nothing to add on your query. I passed through San Antonio 10 years ago on a coast to coast ride. Nice town.
alamo.jpg
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

SammycLingo wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 4:25pm Trying to understand how to post a photo on this board. Any help would be appreciated
First take your photos with your phone, or if using a pc take your photos and transfer them to your pc.

Start writing your post, click on attachments tab below the main window you're typing in:
IMG_20230211_120818.jpg
Click on add files:
IMG_20230211_120847.jpg
this will open a browser on your phone or PC where you can navigate through your photos to pick up to I think 5 photos. When you've picked, click whichever button prompt to confirm your choice (ok, or done, or whatever your device throws at you).

Your photos will upload and the file name will show in the attachments window below the text window. For each file, clicking on 'place inline' will insert the picture wherever the cursor is currently located within the main text window.
IMG_20230211_120925.jpg
At any time you can press preview to see how your post with photos looks. When you're happy with it press submit to finalize and post.
IMG_20230211_121017.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-11-12-05-17-768_com.android.chrome.jpg