How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
rjb

Re: How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Post by rjb »

You can always post 2 consecutive posts with 5 pics attached in each. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rjb wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 10:23pm You can always post 2 consecutive posts with 5 pics attached in each. :wink:
That's what I was doing and would have continued to do had not MickF shown that it was possible to attach more. Even then, it was only this request for a set of instructions that had me posting.

It has occurred to me that the forum rules ban multiple small ads by an individual member. While five images should be plenty for eg one bike, that might not be enough several items.
De Sisti

Re: How to post photos on the forum

Post by De Sisti »

axel_knutt wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 2:58pm That seems a bit long winded, I just click on Attachments, then Add Files, then browse in the window that opens.
Good call. I learnt how to upload pictures on a different forum, so naturally used the same method on this site. The other forum hasn't got this 'quick-upload' facility.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

It should only take a few seconds, simply open the folder a picture is in alongside the forum page, click "POST A REPLY" button then click and drag the image into the reply box. It's as easy as that. If it doesn't work, perhaps the picture is too large a file or the wrong type. I'm not sure what this forum's parameters are, they've always worked for me.

Here's a GIF of me doing exactly that... (click to play)
how to post a pic ez.gif

For a larger screen, smoother play and sharper view, the actual vid can be downloaded here, https://app.box.com/s/37z2izdfh0euq31jhcvygu62o2lurjiq
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's as easy as that.
I'd love to agree, however, there is more to it than that... what happens next will depend on the properties of the image file and then, how it appears in the post may not be to the liking of either reader or poster. For example, some images nudge images already uploaded off the post (as already pointed out), or else will appear in the post rotated, often not showing as the poster intended.
The forum software adapts native camera image files on upload to use as a thumbnail in the post, in order to cope with them often being too big to comfortably display eg itro 4k x 3k pixels or larger. So ideally the poster should resize them before uploading to say 1024 x 1024 - a size that will be plenty big enough to examine detail, once the thumbnail has been clicked to launch the display of the original file.
Thus we've quickly gone from simple to complicated in a matter of a few seconds!
resize to common preset
resize to common preset
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 5:33pm
It's as easy as that.
I'd love to agree, however...
Thus we've quickly gone from simple to complicated in a matter of a few seconds!Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 17.27.44.png

Doubtless an entire dissertation could be written on the posting of images to an internet forum, but several of the posts on the first page suggest this isn't what's needed for some who struggle with the basics or use time-consuming, round-about ways of achieving the same thing. Hence my post demonstrating how straightforwards and easy it should be, with caveats about file types and sizes should it not.

"So ideally the poster should resize them before uploading" - for sure, explanation and demonstration ought to be offered in a clear way for many different possibilities, but the most easy and simple way of posting an image should given at or near the top of a help page.

There is still a degree of fear for some in navigating their computer and posting online, the best way to help people into something beyond the basics is to make sure they can first work the basics easily and without a struggle.
Last edited by Biospace on 13 Feb 2023, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, the huge improvement with the change to what we have was that the forum software handled the re-sizing. A huge leap forward for numpties like me
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Biospace wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 2:04pm It should only take a few seconds, simply open the folder a picture is in alongside the forum page, click "POST A REPLY" button then click and drag the image into the reply box. It's as easy as that. If it doesn't work, perhaps the picture is too large a file or the wrong type. I'm not sure what this forum's parameters are, they've always worked for me.

Here's a GIF of me doing exactly that... (click to play)
how to post a pic ez.gif

For a larger screen, smoother play and sharper view, the actual vid can be downloaded here, https://app.box.com/s/37z2izdfh0euq31jhcvygu62o2lurjiq
Something I would draw attention to is that dragging an image into the POST A REPLY box doesn't introduce the picture into the reply box, or even a line of text referencing it. It appears that nothing has happened, when it has. I think this is worth drawing attention to, my initial reaction was that it hadn't worked. Submitting the reply will see it appear, as will clicking the Attachments tab below and to the left of the reply box.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 18.16.27.png

As others have described, this is the alternative way of adding files - clicking the "Add Files" button accesses your folders, from which to choose the image.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Simple.

Just drag and drop.
If on a phone, select the photo and use the "Attachments" tab below this window and "Place Inline" where you want it.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 19.04.33.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, Just drag and drop, but you still have to use the "Place Inline" thing.
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 19.09.28.png
IMG_1657.jpeg
IMG_0033.JPG
Baby Sailor.jpg
IMG_0401.JPG
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 19.04.33.png
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Drag and drop works very nicely, still a limit of five pics per post for us mortals.
Five.png
5a.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:18pm Drag and drop works very nicely, still a limit of five pics per post for us mortals.
How odd? :shock:

Why do I as a mere Spambuster, have the ability to post as many photos as I want?
I don't have full mod privileges at all .............. not that I want them either.
Mick F. Cornwall
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Maybe the seeming 5 limit is something to do with max attached file size allowance? All of my photos are as they got taken, so maybe they get reduced to the maximum permitted size, which gives you 5 before you run out of allowance per post?
gaz

Post by gaz »

gregoryoftours wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 8:02pm Maybe the seeming 5 limit is something to do with max attached file size allowance?
Seemingly not.

One of the images I uploaded above is 4kb, I can't put it into a post more than five times. If I stop at five copies and take one out, the forum will happily accept a 5.6mb file in its place.

Rules is rules :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

5 is the limit for me, no matter what I try. No need whatsoever to click "Place inline" unless you wish to arrange the pics in an order other than the one you dragged them into the box, or arrange them around text. When you don't, the heading ATTACHMENTS appears above them.
Attachments
2022-01-16 20.47.jpg
2022-01-11 17.00.jpg
hogwarts railway ticket.jpg
Hippocratic Oath.jpg
lunardis-ascent.jpg