How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
jimlews

How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Post by jimlews »

The guidance for posting photos is something that crops up from time to time when the techie folk explain it to dunces such as me.

Can we have this procedure explained under its own heading ??

Preferably prominently at the start of any/all sections where it is likely to be required.

I'm prompted by a new contributor who has asked the same question.
Last edited by jimlews on 11 Feb 2023, 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: How to post photos on the forum

Post by gaz »

My memory is a dangerous place to go in search of facts but the last guide to posting pics that I can recall is here.

My recollection is that it was unpinned following an upgrade to the forum software, which (at the time) removed the need to resize pics.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

1. Create a free account at Photobucket: https://secure-beta.photobucket.com/register
(or flikr)

2. Upload a photo to your Photobucket or flickr account.

3. View your photo at Photobucket.

4. Find and copy the IMG code link.

5. Paste the link here.

(It doesn't have to be a Photobucket or flikr account).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jimlews wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 5:39pm The guidance for posting photos is something that crops up from time to time when the techie folk explain it to dunces such as me.

Can we have this procedure explained under its own heading ??

Preferably prominently at the start of any/all sections where it is likely to be required.

I'm prompted by a new contributor who has asked the same question.
I think the best place to post a query like this is in the Using the forum - request help section towards the bottom of the Index page. That should attract the attention of forum Admin who both know the answer and have the facility to post a permanent notice - to the extent that anything is pointless. If any of therest of us explain this, it will gradually slip to obscurity

(On reflection, that bold heading looks more abrasive than I intended, but I'm too lazy to go back and edit it)
=========================================================
While I've been posting I've been beaten to it, by De Sisti, but my comment still applies, imo
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Thank you all.

As above:

Unfortunately, this vital information will soon become lost as it moves down the the current pages and becomes lost somewhere south of post No. n+1000 etc.

Now I know that there are only about a couple of dozen active posters on this Forum, so it may be argued that they all know how to post pictures by now. But what about users new to it's delights

What I am suggesting is that the Forum needs a permanent guide that doesn't get lost as newer posts displace it.

There is a scam alert that is always prominent.

Can it be too complicated for there to be something like that as guidance for posting pics ?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jimlews wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 6:56pm Thank you all.

As above:

Unfortunately, this vital information will soon become lost as it moves down the the current pages and becomes lost somewhere south of post No. n+1000 etc.

Now I know that there are only about a couple of dozen active posters on this Forum, so it may be argued that they all know how to post pictures by now. But what about users new to it's delights

What I am suggesting is that the Forum needs a permanent guide that doesn't get lost as newer posts displace it.

There is a scam alert that is always prominent.

Can it be too complicated for there to be something like that as guidance for posting pics ?
What I was describing was the best way to achieve your laudable aims.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

This is a guide based on an Android phone:

First take your photos with your phone camera app.

Start writing your post, click on attachments tab below the main window you're typing in:
IMG_20230211_120818.jpg
Click on add files:
IMG_20230211_120847.jpg
this will open a browser on your phone where you can navigate through your photos to pick up to I think 5 photos. When you've picked, click whichever button prompt to confirm your choice (ok, or done, or whatever your device throws at you).

Your photos will upload and the file name will show in the attachments window below the text window. For each file, clicking on 'place inline' will insert the picture wherever the cursor is currently located within the main text window.
IMG_20230211_120925.jpg
At any time you can press preview to see how your post with photos looks. When you're happy with it press submit to finalize and post.
IMG_20230211_121017.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-11-12-05-17-768_com.android.chrome.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

this will open a browser on your phone where you can navigate through your photos to pick up to I think 5 photos.
This is an example of what I had in mind with my post above

I only discovered by accident that the limit was five when I didn't notice that each new attached image caused the oldest to drop off without warning. Once bitten, twice shy, but when I included it on a later post giving this type of advice, it emerged that the limit of five no longer applied, but AFAIK, no new limit has been announced.

==================================================

I've reported this

viewtopic.php?p=1754294#p1754294
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

De Sisti wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 6:29pm 1. Create a free account at Photobucket: https://secure-beta.photobucket.com/register
(or flikr)

2. Upload a photo to your Photobucket or flickr account.

3. View your photo at Photobucket.

4. Find and copy the IMG code link.

5. Paste the link here.

(It doesn't have to be a Photobucket or flikr account).
That seems a bit long winded, I just click on Attachments, then Add Files, then browse in the window that opens.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm with Axel on this.
Use the attachments button at the bottom of the page, add files, then browse your photos on your phone, tablet, pc and click the ones you want. Wait for them to upload and the forum software does all the resizing for you, then click Place Inline. easy peasy.

is it because people are trying to post photos stored in places like photobollox which is causing the issues and problems some have mentioned. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rjb wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 3:10pm I'm with Axel on this.
Use the attachments button at the bottom of the page, add files, then browse your photos on your phone, tablet, pc and click the ones you want. Wait for them to upload and the forum software does all the resizing for you, then click Place Inline. easy peasy.

is it because people are trying to post photos stored in places like photobollox which is causing the issues and problems some have mentioned. :lol:
I've sought official advice and, in short, Admin seems to be with Axel as well

viewtopic.php?p=1754310#p1754310

Re the maximum number of attachments possible on one post, I'm none the wiser.

As I've noted above, last time I tried, once I had attached five pictures, it dropped one every time I posted another and there was no obvious warning what was happening. More recently, MickF posted that he had attached more than five but I couldn't tempt him to explore the limit.

I've just tried, When I had attached five successfully it just seemed to stop taking any more but I was flummoxed about what was happening (Not hard to do.) If I deleted one I'd attached I was able to replace it with another. When I deleted my test, I found a series of test posts I had inadvertently created.

On the rare occasions I want to post several images these days I'll observe a personal limit of five per post till I discover eg what MickF did differently
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Limit?
Dunno.
I'll see if I can get these up from St Michael's School Wigan when I was there 1957 to 1964.
Plus a few others.
Mesnes Park Summer 1957.jpeg
JS 1960.jpg
JS 1960.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
1958.jpeg
1957.jpeg
16s6ob2g.jpg
Mick1957.jpg
Gunnislake Weir.jpg
Gunnislake School Portraits.jpeg
Lollipop2.jpg
Attachments
Kitty and Dottie.png
16s6ob2g.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Re: How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

I had no doubt you had attached more than five images. I'm still stumped how to do it and a step-by-step guide for numpties would be fascinating. I see the phpBB user rguide contains the following, which is lost on me
Attachments may also be uploaded by dragging and dropping a file onto the message area of the posting screen.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

OK - here's what works for me. Click Post Reply. Add text then click the Attachments tab. Click Add files & browse to the image file. Click Place inline and Submit. B'sYU.
ps the size of image file will affect what happens next, but that's a separate issue...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 7:57pm I see the phpBB user rguide contains the following, which is lost on me
Attachments may also be uploaded by dragging and dropping a file onto the message area of the posting screen.
Not lost on me, although I was previously unaware of it. A quick unpublished play on the test board shows that it works, a very useful feature if I can remember it is there.

I've no idea how to attach more than five images in a single post but I don't anticipate ever having any need to do so.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade