Solo tours any strategies for the evenings ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tenbikes

Re: Solo tours any strategies for the evenings ?

Post by tenbikes »

Soo many options open to a cycle tourist!

I've done a lot of solo ski tours using snow holes for accommodation. It takes an hour or so to get properly dug in, and cooking a meal takes longer than normal, but once that's done there isn't really anything to do at all, except sleep. Ski touring needs a sack as light as possible so no books, Kindled etc. And of course no screens......

You need to be at peace with whatever is in your own mind......and learn to relax!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

That’s interesting- I’ve tried travelling without books before and hated it. So for me a kindle is in the essential category.

I try to finish by 4pm so I have time to read my book, have a look around town and generally chill. I enjoy my own company but have a busy and potentially very stressful work and family life so cycle, often solo, to decompress. I guess I recharge by having me time- I get very drained by too much people time. So finding things to do by myself in the evenings isn’t a “problem”, it’s a pleasure. I spread my wings by heading off in a cycle trip, I prove I can problem solve by myself, I assert me and my independence.

It isn’t the same for everyone though and getting to know what works for you is pretty important. If you need time with other people to pick you up maybe using hostels might work better than solo camping?
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

A 5month solo camping tour in 1972 ,Arctic circle to Italy threw up precisely the issues mentioned.Reading(books expensive,not many 2nd hand shops then),deliberately knocking on doors in out of the way places,requesting permission to camp in the hope of a bit of human contact.I even had a mouth organ to entertain myself. Got to me in the end in mid France,turned round and legged it home tout suit before I went crazy.Memorable,set the tone for the restof my life.Do it before life gets in the way.P.S.,cheap( 20 pounds),Hercules all steel ,3speed bike.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Books, bars and maps.
A Kindle is a whole library and readable without a seperate light source. Good battery life, too. Makes it highly suitable for camping. Trouble is, reading can send the message 'Please Do Not Disturb.'. A map somehow is different. If you're in a bar with a map spread out, it invites comment, like 'Where have you been / where are you going?'.
Another thing to pass the time is keep a journal, either on paper, or if you think the outside world might be interested, online. The fomer has less energy implications than the latter.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

When solo I actually find the daytime harder than the evenings. A day's riding comes with a lot of microdecisions: go left or right? should I pick up lunch here? Do you think that town's worth a detour? b&b or camping tonight? etc etc. Most of the time the outcome is unimportant and I'm often not that fussed either way, so I appreciate having someone alongside who I can outsource the decision making to. Left alone I tend to dwell on the options for too long

If the day's cycling has gone to plan then after the kindle/journal/beer I mentioned earlier I'm usually exhausted and fall asleep!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What a constructive thread.

A couple of points on devices:

I use a soft Bluetooth headband for listening to things.

It's possible to make your own books etc to read on Kindles. I make guide books with the history, geography and wildlife for wherever we're going. (They also carry the travel documents, as do the 'phones and the 'net.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And on saying hello:
simonineaston wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 8:41am Books, bars and maps.
A Kindle is a whole library and readable without a seperate light source. Good battery life, too. Makes it highly suitable for camping. Trouble is, reading can send the message 'Please Do Not Disturb.'. A map somehow is different. If you're in a bar with a map spread out, it invites comment, like 'Where have you been / where are you going?'.
That sounds plausible to me. : - )

It also just seems right to talk to other people who are riding bikes or trekking. And to people in small tents.

Offering a drink works well.

And the remoteness rule comes into play: everyone's a friend when you're away from civilisation.

Jonathan
scragend

Post by scragend »

I know the feeling. Not just cycle touring but travelling in general. Most of my travelling is solo; it started off being by necessity - I had no one to go with, so it was either go alone or don't go at all - but I think now I'd do it by choice as well, although most of the time I still don't have anyone to go with! But I do like being able to do what I want and not have to discuss/agree/argue about/compromise on what to do.

But yes, the evenings are the hardest part. I can easily keep busy during the day either by riding or if I'm not on the bike then just exploring a place. As it comes to the evening and I see all the couples/families/groups going out for a meal or for a night out and I don't have any of that, it is difficult. The first few times I travelled solo I really struggled with it. But you find a way to cope in the end. I always make sure I know where I'm staying that night before the evening starts to set in; it was always the worst feeling seeing the sun going down and not knowing where I was going to sleep that night.

I don't do much camping so can't really offer anything on that score. I generally stay in hostels because you're more likely to find other solo travellers there than in hotels. If I stayed in a hotel I could easily end up not speaking to another person between checking in and checking out. I'm not good at striking up conversations with strangers so I have to admit my tactic is to hang around looking a bit lost and lonely, and eventually someone will adopt me! More often than not it works and I've met some great people over the years to pass the evenings with for a day or two.

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for hostelling these days so I have to choose them carefully so that I don't end up in a place with a bunch of twentysomething party animals. I was never a party animal even when I was a twentysomething! But I don't make many bad choices on that front, generally it works out well.

I agree with other posters about not getting buried in your phone. It's the easy option to sit there and scroll through your screen all night, but nobody is going to engage with you if you do that, because it does give the impression that you don't want to be disturbed (same with reading). Have those things as a fall back if you do end up without any company, but don't let them be the first port of call.

Travelling solo isn't all s***s and giggles and yes it can be lonely, but equally it gives you lots of opportunities and it can be whatever you make it.
paul_n

Post by paul_n »

Hi all

Thanks for taking the time to reply , to many now for me to thanks you personally.

So taking away from this:-

It hits most people when touring at some time.
A couple of books maybe useful when say on the campsite [ if no one nearby ] or sat on a bench , probably gives the wrong message if you are sat drinking.
A radio may also help
My phone is dumber than my dog , so 2 minutes tops looking at it :)
Route planning is never wasted and as someone said maybe after evening meal and a drink , reconnoitre say the first 30min to 60mins of tomorrows route [ never wasted time , may find something interesting/eating place to stop at ] can always have another drink before bed while out :D .
Arriving late is good for covering the miles per day , however in the Netherlands a lot of the campsites have electronic entry systems to toilets and showers so you really need to roll up whilst reception is open.

all the best Paul
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Hi Paul,
I came to this thread a bit late but I have cycle camped alone a few times and I have found camping at Yha’s was the answer, if you are in the uk. I met some great people and there are usually a few who are also on their own and are happy to have company. Most tend to be active people and are happy to meet other like minded souls. I’ve had some great fun, the next day most go their own separate ways but others take their place. Yha’s are best out of school holidays and can get quite noisy but if you are camping you can just zip yourself in your tent and open a book! All the best.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I enjoy my own company but have a busy and potentially very stressful work and family life so cycle, often solo, to decompress. I guess I recharge by having me time- I get very drained by too much people time. So finding things to do by myself in the evenings isn’t a “problem”, it’s a pleasure. I spread my wings by heading off in a cycle trip, I prove I can problem solve by myself, I assert me and my independence.
You have described pretty much what I need from a cycle tour too! Quite difficult to explain to relatives that phoning home every night or two isn't on my list of needs...
Back on topic, I do usually have a small book, but now rely more on podcasts on an MP3 player. I write a diary, plan the next day's ride but save the phone battery so no Facebook,
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yesterday evening. Live football in a bar. Easy to strike up a bit of a conversation if you want.

Time difference helped.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Firstly, weather or maybe darkness permitting, why stop so early? A UK summer would see me wanting to have a tent up and cooking done by dark. Sitting around in daylight is a waste of a holiday. Showers tend to be quieter later so one of those and bed.
Maybe go for a few hours walk.
paul_n

Post by paul_n »

mattsccm wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 6:03am Firstly, weather or maybe darkness permitting, why stop so early? A UK summer would see me wanting to have a tent up and cooking done by dark. Sitting around in daylight is a waste of a holiday. Showers tend to be quieter later so one of those and bed.
To answer some of your points.

a) because I am not talking about the UK ?
b) Arriving late is good for covering the miles per day , however in the Netherlands a lot of the campsites have electronic entry systems to toilets and showers so you really need to roll up whilst reception is open.
c) compared with a tent youth hostels have VERY limited numbers/locations [ if they even exist in the Netherlands ]?

Paul
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mattsccm wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 6:03am Firstly, weather or maybe darkness permitting, why stop so early? A UK summer would see me wanting to have a tent up and cooking done by dark. Sitting around in daylight is a waste of a holiday. Showers tend to be quieter later so one of those and bed.
Not for me , we are all different. I am an early riser and tend to be on the road by 7 a.m. and usually (terrain dependant) will have covered my 100km +/- by noon or shortly afterwards. This works well in my usual trips in France because 7 a.m. is when boulangeries open and noonish is ideal if I choose to take a "workers lunch" in a bar/restaurant. The rest of the afternoon I might spend wandering around town.