From Shropshire Hills to Peak District

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
schneewehe

From Shropshire Hills to Peak District

Post by schneewehe »

Hello,
does anyone have a good track for a low traffic route between Shropshire Hills to Peak District? I want to include both regions in this year LEJOG but didn't find a nice route to connect them.
Andrea
cycleruk

Re: From Shropshire Hills to Peak District

Post by cycleruk »

Do you have a start and and destination in mind?
Where are you heading for after ?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42077438
Followed possibly by NC 68 ?
No idea about road surfaces etc but may give you an idea for a route.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Cycle Travel usually comes up with good routes e.g. https://cycle.travel/map?from=Bishop%27 ... -1.6758613
Richard M
Cardiff
PH

Post by PH »

It's a bit vague!
As already said you'd need to be a bit more specific for a detailed route and then you'd still better off plotting your own to take into account your preferences. If I was heading from Craven Arms to Bakewell I'd go over Cannock Chase, so a route plotted Penkridge > Uttoxeter and then either NCN 549 to stay on road with plenty of hills or across to Ashbourne and the Tissington Trail (NCN 68) for the same climb at a railway gradient. Both would then take you via Parsley Hay for an easy, mostly downhill, finish.
Pretty much all of that could be done on low traffic roads without adding much to the most direct route.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

I live in the Peak District and can help with that bit, but need to know where in the Peak District you want to get to. Tissington would need a very different route than Holme Moss
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

What about the Shroppie canal -- there's a thought -- could an end to end be done via the canal network in the mainland?
I am here. Where are you?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cowsham wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 7:24pm What about the Shroppie canal -- there's a thought -- could an end to end be done via the canal network in the mainland?
Some canals just have grassy muddy towpaths but they do tend to be flat from lock to lock.
Some are hardpack or tarmac surfaces but are hard to know which.
Personally not my preferred choice even though some on my suggested route above.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Cowsham wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 7:24pm What about the Shroppie canal -- there's a thought -- could an end to end be done via the canal network in the mainland?
Lots of the Shropshire Union towpath is a quagmire sadly - basically the water runs down the sides of the cuttings and pools on the towpath.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PH

Post by PH »

How far would you get? Bristol to York?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 8:11pm
Lots of the Shropshire Union towpath is a quagmire sadly - basically the water runs down the sides of the cuttings and pools on the towpath.

Is it the same in summer?
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Very much - the cuttings don’t really dry out. Generally when I’ve been that way it’s been on a narrowboat in summer!

The embankments and contour sections aren’t as bad, but they’re generally unimproved towpath best suited to an MTB.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 11:35pm Very much - the cuttings don’t really dry out. Generally when I’ve been that way it’s been on a narrowboat in summer!

The embankments and contour sections aren’t as bad, but they’re generally unimproved towpath best suited to an MTB.

Thanks I'll find out this summer cos we'll be near Market Drayton with mtb's.
schneewehe

Post by schneewehe »

Hi,

You're right, I slready startet planning in detail:
I planned this route as a first draft.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/114215277

Plan for the following day is this:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/114215654

It should be everything on tarmac surface. I don't mind to go offroad for some hundred meters if it make sense, but no long canal gravel sections, please.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

I can comment on the second day as I know all the roads from about mile 20 to mile 85 and you almost go past my front door. The route is OK inasmuch that it goes from Ashbourne to Skipton in a reasonably straight line and takes in some of the spectacular bits like The Snake and Holme Moss

However that would be much too hard a day in the saddle to be enjoyable for me. We are all different but at 100ft climbing/mile that is genuinely hard cycling. If it was me riding from Haye on Wye to Skipton I would ride through Cheshire to Sandbach/Poynton and go into the Peak District via Marple and Glossop and pick up your route via Holme Moss from there
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Good advice -- breaking it up over 3 or 4 days would be more enjoyable even if you're super fit. I think I'd be knackered after the first days over 100 mile ride.