exercise good for you - large study

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

exercise good for you - large study

Post by simonineaston »

Brisk walking, dancing, riding a bike, playing tennis or hiking can all substantially cut the risks of early death, cardiovascular disease, and certain cancers, including those of the head and neck and myeloid leukaemia, Cambridge University experts have found.
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2023 ... 022-105669
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Re: exercise good for you - large study

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m not sure why anyone needs a huge collation f scientific studies to make this point, given that The Wombles issued definitive guidance decades ago.

https://youtu.be/TepNfvJ8ysk
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The revalation here is not just the exercise its how little you actually need to produce a beneficial result. Most regular cyclists will be getting far more, I wonder what that does?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It says that the rate of risk reduction is steep up to 8.75 mMET hours/Week, then gradually levels out up to 17.5 mMEThours/week, beyond which any improvement is “small and uncertain”.

I always find the MET a confusing unit, and the mMET doubly so, so am unsure how to turn this all into something meaningful in terms of cycling hours ….. when doing the calculations should I be subtracting “subsistence power” from the average power output during cycling, which yields depressing results, or should I simply use the average power during cycling, which gives quite heartening(!) results?
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:36am The revalation here is not just the exercise its how little you actually need to produce a beneficial result. Most regular cyclists will be getting far more, I wonder what that does?

Al
Makes us virtually immortal, I guess.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:36am The revalation here is not just the exercise its how little you actually need to produce a beneficial result.
Yes. It's a pretty consistent finding. And a very important message both for individuals and public health policy.

Jonathan
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 9:51am
al_yrpal wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:36am The revalation here is not just the exercise its how little you actually need to produce a beneficial result.
Yes. It's a pretty consistent finding. And a very important message both for individuals and public health policy.

Jonathan
I wonder whether public health guidelines on exercise are that helpful, when so many find the concept of exercise daunting, and would benefit simply from a 15 minute walk every day.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:03am
Brisk walking, dancing, riding a bike, playing tennis or hiking can all substantially cut the risks of early death, cardiovascular disease, and certain cancers, including those of the head and neck and myeloid leukaemia, Cambridge University experts have found.
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2023 ... 022-105669
Thanks for posting.

See also two recent studies on memory decline and dementia:

"Association between healthy lifestyle and memory decline in older adults: 10 year, population based, prospective cohort study":
https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj-2022-072691
and linked editorial:
https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p117

"Life’s Simple 7 and the Risk of Dementia among Women":
https://aanfiles.blob.core.windows.net/ ... 0Women.pdf

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 1 Mar 2023, 10:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Boring_Username wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 9:58am
I wonder whether public health guidelines on exercise are that helpful, when so many find the concept of exercise daunting, and would benefit simply from a 15 minute walk every day.
That seems to imply that the current guidelines for individuals are different from what has been found in these studies...

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Getting back to Al’s point and attacking it another way, it seems that cycling involves working at about 6-12 METS for varying speeds/intensities of ride short of racing, so we might get to the point where any further improvement in our physical health resulting from it is “small and uncertain” after as little as two or three hours of it each week. I reckon that the mental benefits rack-up far beyond that though.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Trouble with cycling is its to efficient one has to do loads.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

I'd also assume that too much exercise is bad for you (to some extent at least) - just from a wear and tear point of view.
Probably outweighed for the vast majority of people by the positive benefits though.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:36am The revalation here is not just the exercise its how little you actually need to produce a beneficial result. Most regular cyclists will be getting far more, I wonder what that does?

Al
It improves the thrusting muscles and sinews to a fantastical degree. Also, it reveals the full danger of the vast and evil motoring addiction.

When taken too far it can do queer things to the brain, as can be seen in this forum! :-)

Cugel, butch as a fitter's cat.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jonathan
Yes - and we would never have known if there hadn't been this exciting study, eh? :-)

Cugel, recalling how consultants justify their role by borrowing your watch to inform you of the time as they give you a large bill for "the service provision".
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Nearholmer wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 11:20am Getting back to Al’s point and attacking it another way, it seems that cycling involves working at about 6-12 METS for varying speeds/intensities of ride short of racing, so we might get to the point where any further improvement in our physical health resulting from it is “small and uncertain” after as little as two or three hours of it each week. I reckon that the mental benefits rack-up far beyond that though.
DANGER! DANGER! Possibility of spurious data and analysis overloads, distractions and self-defeating confusions when arbitrary metrics are not achieved. :-)

Cugel, too clever (natural/sceptical mode) too be too clever (study/data mode).
John Maynard Keynes