An Illegal Bill to Stop Immigrants becoming Slaves

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: An Illegal Bill to Stop Immigrants becoming Slaves

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 8:13am In 2018 a BBC statement
A spokesman for the BBC said: "Gary is not involved in any news or political output for the BBC and as such any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44957901

Wonder what has happened since then changes at the top perhaps :wink:
Funny innit?
Though not in a happy way......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 7:59am
ossie wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 10:46pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 10:38pm
Re underlined, France or Germany will not take them back, and you cannot make them. And why should they; both countries already take far more than we do.

The last sentence obviously shouldn't be dignified with any response.
Take them back? Most of the refugees travel through a place of safety before reaching the channel. So I ask again what is the matter with France, Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium before putting themselves in mortal danger?
They're here. Germany won't take them back. Deal with reality.
More is the need to stop them getting here in the first place, make it easy and the flood gates will open, millions every year. Unsustainable numbers of economic migrants, society will collapse, we will become like the countries they claim to be fleeing.

--------------

As to the lineiken nonsnse - best match of the day ever, just the football, no screaming commentary, no tedious presenters waffling on about very little to fill the programme up. 20 minutes football in a one and 1½ programme! I normally video it so I can save an hour of my life.
And just think of the money the beeb could save by waving goodbye to liniker sheerar and the likes. they could probably afford 40 minutes football rather than the messily 20 minutes. win win situation.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 8:13am In 2018 a BBC statement
A spokesman for the BBC said: "Gary is not involved in any news or political output for the BBC and as such any expression of his personal political views does not affect the BBC's impartiality."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44957901

Wonder what has happened since then changes at the top perhaps :wink:
Richard Sharp appointed as BBC chairman. A man who has donated £400,000 to the Conservative party, helped facilitate an £800,000 loan for then PM Johnson - during the chairmanship selection process, and was formerly director of the right wing think tank Centre for Policy Studies. In other word someone you'd regard as politically impartial, as long as your name is Nigel Farage.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 8:50am More is the need to stop them getting here in the first place, make it easy and the flood gates will open, millions every year. Unsustainable numbers of economic migrants, society will collapse, we will become like the countries they claim to be fleeing. ......
That statement is hyperbole nonsense,you are Suella Braverman and I claim the £5!
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

^^ very good!
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 9:27am
Pebble wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 8:50am More is the need to stop them getting here in the first place, make it easy and the flood gates will open, millions every year. Unsustainable numbers of economic migrants, society will collapse, we will become like the countries they claim to be fleeing. ......
That statement is hyperbole nonsense,you are Suella Braverman and I claim the £5!
If they were allowed to use the ferries to get across the channel, and we quickly with little questioning gave them full citizenship. Do you think the numbers would go up, stay the same or go down. ?

To my mind the numbers are only doubling every year as we make it dangerous, expensive and when they finally make it they have to go through long tedious process. Take away those barriers and it would be 10 fold or more year upon year. Heck many other european countries who also don't want them would be giving free train travel to Callais! And with that number arriving there would soon be a call for a duty-of-care to ensure they wern't endangered crossing the mediteranian, then that will be another 10 fold. Would we make it to 2050 without widespread social and economic collapse - I doubt it.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be letting anyone in, or even the present numbers are too high (although I do believe in the long term even the present numbers are too high). But make passage easy and it will soon spiral into something very different.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 10:01am
reohn2 wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 9:27am
If they were allowed to use the ferries to get across the channel, and we quickly with little questioning gave them full citizenship. Do you think the numbers would go up, stay the same or go down. ?

To my mind the numbers are only doubling every year as we make it dangerous, expensive and when they finally make it they have to go through long tedious process. Take away those barriers and it would be 10 fold or more year upon year. Heck many other european countries who also don't want them would be giving free train travel to Callais! And with that number arriving there would soon be a call for a duty-of-care to ensure they wern't endangered crossing the mediteranian, then that will be another 10 fold. Would we make it to 2050 without widespread social and economic collapse - I doubt it.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be letting anyone in, or even the present numbers are too high (although I do believe in the long term even the present numbers are too high). But make passage easy and it will soon spiral into something very different.
I'm gonna get rich quick at this rate.....
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently Match of the Day viewing figures were up by 1/2 a million yesterday.

So much for the pundits! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 7:58pm
pwa wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 6:24pm
reohn2 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 6:13pm

Obviously it would be different people who'd support a different opinion from whoever.
Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see your point.
I suppose the point is, are Lineker's supporters backing him simply because they think it is right that he is able to express any opinion freely, or are they only backing him because his opinion agrees with theirs. And would they back him if he was saying something they disagree with?
I'm guessing from that you disagree with Lineker's views. Would those who don't like what he said be criticising him if he'd said something they agreed with.
His twitter statement was extremely brief, so most of what I think his views are is a bit broad brush. But if he thinks as I imagine he does, no, I don't disagree with him on the substance of it. I do think that much as we need to get a grip on the small boats thing, we have to remember that we are dealing with poor and vulnerable people, many of whom might well qualify as "refugees". And although he doesn't say so, I imagine that, like me, he would like to see these people processed on French soil. I think his dragging up of Nazi Germany is unwise, but that is a minor point of presentation.

But what he has done is to turn his TV persona from an affable footy presenter, able to get on with anyone, into a political activist who despises those on one side of a contentious issue. A good chunk of his audience won't like him in his day job anymore, and that means he can't do it as well as he once did. He is now divisive. He has become too complicated for the TV Footy presenter role.

So I don't dislike him, I do think I probably agree with him in part at least, and I believe he would have been wiser to have kept his online persona anonymous, as you and I do.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Topic has been locked and overt bigotry removed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The topic is now unlocked. Please argue nicely.

Thanks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 10:01am ...If they were allowed to use the ferries to get across the channel, and we quickly with little questioning gave them full citizenship. Do you think the numbers would go up, stay the same or go down. ?
Who is the "they" and the "them", please?

Thanks

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think someone has had the difference between the 700k migrants we accept each year and the sub10k who used to arrive by small boats deliberately muddied by an increasingly right wing media.

As other arrival methods have become more difficult the number arriving by boat has "soared" - to under 30k, or less than 5% of immigration.
Yes, in percentage terms it's a large increase in boat arrivals, but only because the absolute number is very small (and many of these would have been displaced from other transport modes).

In the UK 75% of asylum claims are granted, and 49% of those which are initially denied are then granted on appeal.
Statistically fewer than four thousand of the people arriving by boat last year would not fall under the protection of the convention, but we are failing to process them, and failing to provide routes which are less dangerous than the boats, so boats it is.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Stay precisely the same, given that everyone who can show a document giving a prior right of entry can use the ferries already, and it seems pretty unlikely that anyone with such document would elect to risk their life in an open boat (cross channel swimmers and hobby anglers excepted).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 12:01pm I think someone has had the difference between the 700k migrants we accept each year and the sub10k who used to arrive by small boats deliberately muddied by an increasingly right wing media.

As other arrival methods have become more difficult the number arriving by boat has "soared" - to under 30k, or less than 5% of immigration.
Yes, in percentage terms it's a large increase in boat arrivals, but only because the absolute number is very small (and many of these would have been displaced from other transport modes).

In the UK 75% of asylum claims are granted, and 49% of those which are initially denied are then granted on appeal.
Statistically fewer than four thousand of the people arriving by boat last year would not fall under the protection of the convention, but we are failing to process them, and failing to provide routes which are less dangerous than the boats, so boats it is.
High profile and hugely emotive so representing the Immigration squirrel, I think.

Still, keeps everyone fixated on relatively peripheral matters, eh?!