An Illegal Bill to Stop Immigrants becoming Slaves

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: An Illegal Bill to Stop Immigrants becoming Slaves

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 12:01pm I think someone has had the difference between the 700k migrants we accept each year and the sub10k who used to arrive by small boats deliberately muddied by an increasingly right wing media.

As other arrival methods have become more difficult the number arriving by boat has "soared" - to under 30k, or less than 5% of immigration.
Yes, in percentage terms it's a large increase in boat arrivals, but only because the absolute number is very small (and many of these would have been displaced from other transport modes).

In the UK 75% of asylum claims are granted, and 49% of those which are initially denied are then granted on appeal.
Statistically fewer than four thousand of the people arriving by boat last year would not fall under the protection of the convention, but we are failing to process them, and failing to provide routes which are less dangerous than the boats, so boats it is.
Yes, the conversation is enormously improved by clarifying which category of migrant is being discussed, and by including the numbers.

Jonathan
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

More is the need to stop them getting here in the first place, make it easy and the flood gates will open, millions every year. Unsustainable numbers of economic migrants, society will collapse, we will become like the countries they claim to be fleeing.
Perhaps this will put the number of people coming to this country in context.
20230314_194954.jpg
Question time!
In how many of these countries has society collapsed?
Germany admitted over 1,000,000 people a few years ago. Their population is ageing, just like the UK and most European countries. One estimate is that they need 250,000 economic migrants per year to maintain economic output. How many does the UK need?
Which is the only continent with a growing number of young people? That is, the future labour supply.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Ah, the old something never happened there...yet... so won't happen here...ever...routine. That kind of extrapolation is dicey at best, particularly in countries like Germany where the first cracks in the dam of societal tolerance are starting to show.

It's not that I disagree with you, but the assertion you use to support it is a trifle shaky.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 8:07pm
More is the need to stop them getting here in the first place, make it easy and the flood gates will open, millions every year. Unsustainable numbers of economic migrants, society will collapse, we will become like the countries they claim to be fleeing.

20230314_194954.jpg

Question time!
Germany admitted over 1,000,000 people a few years ago. Their population is ageing, just like the UK and most European countries. One estimate is that they need 250,000 economic migrants per year to maintain economic output. How many does the UK need?
Which is the only continent with a growing number of young people? That is, the future labour supply.
There is an unrecognised question with the assertion that we need migrants to deal with an ageing population. What happens when those migrants themselves get old and need support? More migrants. Endlessly more migrants to plug an endless gap? As a short term fix, yes, I can see that. But as a long term "normal" it seems to me to be an unsustainable dependency that will see our population growing, our roads getting busier, our housing shortage never reducing, and our inter-urban countryside disappearing. Okay, by the time my own bit of the UK has become a giant urban sprawl I'll be long gone, thankfully, but it would be nicer to steer our nation in a better direction where a bit of migration happens but there isn't a dependency on large scale migration to fill essential posts.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 8:07pm ...

20230314_194954.jpg
It does. Thanks for adding those facts.

Jonathan

PS: Three recent "mis-speakings" by Ministers about migration:
https://fullfact.org/immigration/suella ... ion-claim/
https://fullfact.org/immigration/rishi- ... m-backlog/
https://fullfact.org/immigration/suella ... og-labour/

and another set of lies in current circulation:
https://fullfact.org/online/pensioners- ... -benefits/
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 7:11am

20230314_194954.jpg

Question time!
There is an unrecognised question with the assertion that we need migrants to deal with an ageing population. What happens when those migrants themselves get old and need support? More migrants. Endlessly more migrants to plug an endless gap? As a short term fix, yes, I can see that. But as a long term "normal" it seems to me to be an unsustainable dependency that will see our population growing, our roads getting busier, our housing shortage never reducing, and our inter-urban countryside disappearing. Okay, by the time my own bit of the UK has become a giant urban sprawl I'll be long gone, thankfully, but it would be nicer to steer our nation in a better direction where a bit of migration happens but there isn't a dependency on large scale migration to fill essential posts.
A low density population is my personal preference, which is one reason we now abide in Ceredigion, which has a population of a mere 72,000, most of whom are concentrated in half a dozen small towns. It's pleasant being far from the madding crowd.

However, this is just a personal preference. Many humans love living cheek by jowl. Many also get used to and greatly enjoy multicultural environments such as that of London. I think they're mad but the thought is probably mutual. (I am thinking of my daughter's opinion, she who lives in Richmond upon The Thames). :-)

Now, if overpopulation is an actual problem in Blighty, it's difficult to avoid talking about it and possible actions to deal with it. A major question would be: what kind of folk should be encouraged (and, by implication, which discouraged) to live in Blighty?

It's difficult to avoid the practical answer that those who are vigorous and productive (generally the younger folk most motivated to improve their lot) would be more likely to produce a vibrant and sustainable nation than are the likes of me, an auld pensioner making nothing much more than a few bits of furniture a year. And taking up money and other resources that might be better spent on improving facilities - especially the basics of education, housing, health and food - for those young vigourites.

So, how about a programme of voluntary euthanasia, inclusive of a transfer of the euthanised one's' wealth to new schemes producing education, housing and grub for those who are the future of Blighty!? If it seems successful, we could move on to involuntary euthanasia. A scheme by which the incoming new nation-fodder, coming off the boats, can nominate the type of old dodderers to be dispensed with first could be arranged. Categories such as "useless reactionary bigots" might be high on such a list. That's most of The House of Lords gone in an instant, relieving The Starmer of the job. :-)

Cugel, probably just anxious to avoid that perch in a gimmery with Brutus the male "nurse" in attendance.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 8:39am
pwa wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 7:11am

20230314_194954.jpg

Question time!
A low density population is my personal preference, which is one reason we now abide in Ceredigion, which has a population of a mere 72,000, most of whom are concentrated in half a dozen small towns. It's pleasant being far from the madding crowd.

However, this is just a personal preference. Many humans love living cheek by jowl. Many also get used to and greatly enjoy multicultural environments such as that of London. I think they're mad but the thought is probably mutual. (I am thinking of my daughter's opinion, she who lives in Richmond upon The Thames). :-)

Now, if overpopulation is an actual problem in Blighty, it's difficult to avoid talking about it and possible actions to deal with it. A major question would be: what kind of folk should be encouraged (and, by implication, which discouraged) to live in Blighty?

It's difficult to avoid the practical answer that those who are vigorous and productive (generally the younger folk most motivated to improve their lot) would be more likely to produce a vibrant and sustainable nation than are the likes of me, an auld pensioner making nothing much more than a few bits of furniture a year. And taking up money and other resources that might be better spent on improving facilities - especially the basics of education, housing, health and food - for those young vigourites.

So, how about a programme of voluntary euthanasia, inclusive of a transfer of the euthanised one's' wealth to new schemes producing education, housing and grub for those who are the future of Blighty!? If it seems successful, we could move on to involuntary euthanasia. A scheme by which the incoming new nation-fodder, coming off the boats, can nominate the type of old dodderers to be dispensed with first could be arranged. Categories such as "useless reactionary bigots" might be high on such a list. That's most of The House of Lords gone in an instant, relieving The Starmer of the job. :-)

Cugel, probably just anxious to avoid that perch in a gimmery with Brutus the male "nurse" in attendance.
We could have a programme of exporting our older folk (you and me excepted, of course) in shipping containers, to countries with lots of spare labour, where they can be tended to. Not serious, by the way :lol: No, I just think we need to be working on this puzzle, of how to plug gaps in the labour market without being like a junkie nation constantly dependent on other nations' young people. I don't have any problem at all with us absorbing various ethnicities and cultures and adding them to the mix, something that happens even where you live. For godness sake, you even have English people living there! Whatever next?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cugel wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 8:39am Now, if overpopulation is an actual problem in Blighty, it's difficult to avoid talking about it and possible actions to deal with it. A major question would be: what kind of folk should be encouraged (and, by implication, which discouraged) to live in Blighty?
Good question! And I assume you will be applying it to those arriving in Maternity units via British birth canals?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mattheus wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 9:52am
Cugel wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 8:39am Now, if overpopulation is an actual problem in Blighty, it's difficult to avoid talking about it and possible actions to deal with it. A major question would be: what kind of folk should be encouraged (and, by implication, which discouraged) to live in Blighty?
Good question! And I assume you will be applying it to those arriving in Maternity units via British birth canals?
Narrowboat arrivals we should call them
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 9:24am
We could have a programme of exporting our older folk (you and me excepted, of course) in shipping containers, to countries with lots of spare labour, where they can be tended to. Not serious, by the way :lol: No, I just think we need to be working on this puzzle, of how to plug gaps in the labour market without being like a junkie nation constantly dependent on other nations' young people. I don't have any problem at all with us absorbing various ethnicities and cultures and adding them to the mix, something that happens even where you live. For godness sake, you even have English people living there! Whatever next?
Well, there is an olde British tradition of capturing various denizens of the lower orders who commit minor crimes and shipping them orf to Australia. So how about a scheme whereby all those breaking the speed limit, close-passing cyclists and otherwise trying to murder & maim passers-by are put in them shipping containers you mention and sent orf to the other side of the world? The Ozzers may employ them to, for example, round up the crocs swarming in the many flooded spots that various cyclones are deluging.

This would give the criminal motorists the experience of what it's like to be an immigrant sent, in a demeaning fashion, to an unpleasant fate amongst a probably hostile ("bluddy whingeing poms") foreign underclass, which they could write articles about for The Daily Hate Mail and The Toryliar. (Readers of these rags enjoy hearing of how the not-themselves are vilified and punished).

Now, about we English immigrants to the semi-utopia of West Wales ...... . We are good for the money we bring and also as the butts of a gentle Welsh mockery concerning our queer ways and inability to pronounce the place-names, let alone ask for the right kind of sausages or soup at the siop. Any of y saeson who fail to bring sufficient dosh and/or who get all pompous when teased will be good for the Special Stuff sold in some of the Welsh butcher shops up in that Hinterland.

Me, I try very hard to fit right in!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Ah, the old something never happened there...yet... so won't happen here...ever...routine.
Ah, the old avoid answering the question routine. I haven't claimed it wouldn't happen here ever. But I would like someone to cite examples of societies that have collapsed, as was claimed. Without evidence that is just an unsupported assertion.
That kind of extrapolation is dicey at best, particularly in countries like Germany where the first cracks in the dam of societal tolerance are starting to show.
'First cracks'? What cracks? Evidence?
I happened to be in Baden Wurtemburg when the predominantly Middle Eastern refugees were arriving there. Lots of support being provided, as well as places to live. Nor any 'cracks' apparent on more recent visits.
but there isn't a dependency on large scale migration to fill essential posts.
Could you have a look at the age structure of the UK population please. Where might we find the people to fill the currently reported 1M vacancies?

Different countries take different approaches to the challenge of an ageing population. I'll offer another illustration from Germany as I know quite a few people there. Large landowners have found it very difficult to find tenant farmers, so quite a few farms are now let to Romanian and Albanian farmers so the businesses are still operating. Societal breakdown? China doesn't have significant inward migration and the population is predicted to drop very rapidly. A brief account here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

And the answer to the third question I asked is Africa. All other continents have ageing populations.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:24pm
That kind of extrapolation is dicey at best, particularly in countries like Germany where the first cracks in the dam of societal tolerance are starting to show.
'First cracks'? What cracks? Evidence?
I happened to be in Baden Wurtemburg when the predominantly Middle Eastern refugees were arriving there. Lots of support being provided, as well as places to live. Nor any 'cracks' apparent on more recent visits.
I think one could say that 'the first cracks in the dam of societal tolerance' in Germany began from 2015 onwards and when the AfD started to win major numbers of seats in the Bundestag - currently 78 - though that's down from the 2017 election. However the AfD gets many votes in the East both nationally and in the Länder. I don't think that typifies Germany, but it's a sign that immigration is an issue.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My knowledge of immigration issues in Germany is limited to conversations with long standing friends in Bavaria. They are sore about unification and very sore about immigration largely because both have contributed to noticeable falls in pensions. And, from visits long ago I am aware to be of colour there puts you in a much worse situation than it does here. Lots of discrimination.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

2019 opinions on unification:

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 08.35.25.png
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019 ... es-01-010/

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There's evidence that
1) Germans have generally more positive attitudes toward immigration than British people
2) Attitudes in Germany have become more positive recently

Recent information here:
https://www.dw.com/en/germans-less-skep ... a-60801783

information form 2014 here:
https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/fil ... ermany.pdf
https://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/do ... ration.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom