Trikes blocked by barriers on permitted routes

pete75

Re: Trikes blocked by barriers on permitted routes

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 8 Apr 2023, 3:47pm
pete75 wrote: 8 Apr 2023, 3:19pm
pwa wrote: 6 Apr 2023, 8:30pm
It has been a bit quicker around here, possibly helped by the motorcycle menace being less prominent than it once was. See the example i gave above. Fairly typical locally.

My suggestion to the OP to seek out an Ice trike that fits is pragmatic, given that they intend getting an Ice trike and some of them do fit A frames. And they may not see themselves as a have-a-go angle grinder warrior. Pressuring the local council is also an option, but likely to be slow to yield results.
Motorcycle menace? The biggest selling motorbikes in the UK are large adventure type bikes, headed up by the BMW R1250GS and high performance sports bikes like the Ducati Panigale. I can't see the owners of such machines wanting to use cycle paths. Just who are these motorcyclists councils and Sustrans think are itching to ride on cycleways? As a long time motorcyclist I imagine it's a myth. Most motorcyclists are getting on a bit, motorcyclists like myself who've kept it since their youth and new riders who've taken it up later in life , didn't start out properly, riding an old, knackered British 250 on L plates and haven't taken the proper motorbike test.
I'm not talking about most motorcyclists. I'm talking about a sub culture in certain working class areas, who use unregistered, uninsured off-road motorbikes in public areas that include rugby fields (several damaged this last winter in this region), streets, footpaths and shared use paths. Nothing to do with a 50-something year old bloke riding his shiny motorbike on the roads on Sundays. If you read what I said as criticism of motorcyclists in general, my wording was at fault.

But the problem is a real one. Police action can help, but the police can't be there all the time. And they can't protect members of the community who supply them with names. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49960337 There are lots of stories like this one. But as I say, I think this menace has declined a bit in this area recently. Fingers crossed.
Well, like most motorcyclists, I'm working class and don't do it. So it's all the fault of the "working class" and, horror of horrors, they're spoiling the nice middle class rugby pitches, I take it you mean union not league. It would probably be a painful mistake to damage the latter though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 8 Apr 2023, 7:42pm Well, like most motorcyclists, I'm working class and don't do it. So it's all the fault of the "working class" and, horror of horrors, they're spoiling the nice middle class rugby pitches, I take it you mean union not league. It would probably be a painful mistake to damage the latter though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is Wales! Rugby Union is the working class game here. The clubs are community run groups in working class neighbourhoods, running activities for adults and children alike. Pitches have been trashed by groups of off-road motorcyclists and quad riders organised on social media. The victims are mostly working class. If that makes a difference. Nobody is blaming legal road motorcyclists, so you don't need to get defensive about it.

One recent example https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-02- ... by-vandals

I'm surprised you didn't realise RU isn't middle class dominated in Wales. You need to travel more!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 8 Apr 2023, 8:50pm
pete75 wrote: 8 Apr 2023, 7:42pm Well, like most motorcyclists, I'm working class and don't do it. So it's all the fault of the "working class" and, horror of horrors, they're spoiling the nice middle class rugby pitches, I take it you mean union not league. It would probably be a painful mistake to damage the latter though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is Wales! Rugby Union is the working class game here. The clubs are community run groups in working class neighbourhoods, running activities for adults and children alike. Pitches have been trashed by groups of off-road motorcyclists and quad riders organised on social media. The victims are mostly working class. If that makes a difference. Nobody is blaming legal road motorcyclists, so you don't need to get defensive about it.

I'm surprised you didn't realise RU isn't middle class dominated in Wales. You need to travel more!
I've travelled quite a bit but never had the slightest interest or inclination to visit Wales.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 2:39pm

I've travelled quite a bit but never had the slightest interest or inclination to visit Wales.
Your loss. :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I live in the Fens, but I used to live in Gwynedd, and I much preferred cycling there. The sailing, and of course the climbing, are much better there too.
I will vote here, but have no hope that my preferred candidate will win, which did happen there.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 6:11pm

I suspect not. Takes a s long to get to Cardiff as it does to Paris. No comparison between the two.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 6:35pm
I live in the Fens, but I used to live in Gwynedd, and I much preferred cycling there. The sailing, and of course the climbing, are much better there too.
I will vote here, but have no hope that my preferred candidate will win, which did happen there.
Don't give a damn about climbing and enjoy sailing on the east coast.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 7:20pm

I suspect not. Takes a s long to get to Cardiff as it does to Paris. No comparison between the two.
You are right there. I rarely compare Cardiff with Paris. But nor do I talk about Paris as a nice place to visit. Can't you think of somewhere better? I wouldn't suggest anyone visiting Wales focus on Cardiff either. It isn't the best of Wales, just as Paris isn't the best of France.

If I remember rightly, you live in a part of England that is surprisingly awkward and time consuming to get to from South Wales. We can be in London in a couple of hours, with a direct train line to Padddington and the M4 if we prefer. But getting to your area is less direct. Transport networks just weren't made to facilitate that journey.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 7:23pm

Don't give a damn about climbing and enjoy sailing on the east coast.
I found the intricacies of tides and tide races coursing round the rocks and islands fascinating and always added beauty and interest. My present mooring is five miles down a ditch from the sea, and once there the land is a distant rim of mud with occasionally a remote tower. I find more a bit more interest some days sailing away, but reaching the Humber takes a long dull day, with little interest when you get there. In the Afon Menai I could be shooting the Swellies in half an hour, and threading my way to Ynys Llanddwyn for a day trip.
I originally went to Eryri for the climbing, which is a stimulating sport, and takes you into sublime situations.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 7:31pm
You are right there. I rarely compare Cardiff with Paris. But nor do I talk about Paris as a nice place to visit. Can't you think of somewhere better? I wouldn't suggest anyone visiting Wales focus on Cardiff either. It isn't the best of Wales, just as Paris isn't the best of France.

If I remember rightly, you live in a part of England that is surprisingly awkward and time consuming to get to from South Wales. We can be in London in a couple of hours, with a direct train line to Padddington and the M4 if we prefer. But getting to your area is less direct. Transport networks just weren't made to facilitate that journey.
I like Paris and have good friends there. I enjoy dining at places like La Tour D'Argent and Les Deux Magots.
I can get a train to London which takes about an hour if I go to Grantham, which isn't very far.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 8:12pm
pwa wrote: 9 Apr 2023, 7:31pm

I like Paris and have good friends there. I enjoy dining at places like La Tour D'Argent and Les Deux Magots.
I can get a train to London which takes about an hour if I go to Grantham, which isn't very far.
Yes, north-south journeys are easy from where you are. From here, in South Wales, east-west journeys are easy. London is easy to get to from here, north Wales isn't. People from our area often go to Bath for the day in the run-up to Christmas, it is so easy to get to.

But I dislike Paris. Been there half a dozen times, and find the people rude. Especially the waiters. I believe that is how many French people feel about the place too. I love much of France, but avoid lingering in Paris.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote: 5 Apr 2023, 6:20pm
Or, get a tape measure against the barriers and buy an Ice trike that fits, which some probably do if the barriers are A frames installed according to spec.
There are some Ice trikes that fit through A frame barriers, but not all barriers are A frames. Some are chicanes or kissing gates that are too narrow for a trike. It's actually impossible to buy something that 'fits'. It's only possible to buy something that fits some barriers. This is true for many non-standard pedal cycles and mobility aids.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 8:43am
Or, get a tape measure against the barriers and buy an Ice trike that fits, which some probably do if the barriers are A frames installed according to spec.
There are some Ice trikes that fit through A frame barriers, but not all barriers are A frames. Some are chicanes or kissing gates that are too narrow for a trike. It's actually impossible to buy something that 'fits'. It's only possible to buy something that fits some barriers. This is true for many non-standard pedal cycles and mobility aids.
Yes, I did say this all depends on what the OP faces locally. And it wouldn't guarantee anything when venturing into unknown areas. Maybe my area is exceptional in this, but we have seen a lot of barriers removed completely, and others replaced with A frames, which makes things more predictable. I now know I'd have no problem with a loaded tandem, for example.

There is also the fact that the OP seems more or less decided on an Ice, so to me it makes sense to look at the models in detail and favour one that looks most likely to work with A frames.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 8:43am
It's even true for some standard pedal cycles with bulky panniers!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 9:24am
Vorpal wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 8:43am [...] It's actually impossible to buy something that 'fits'. It's only possible to buy something that fits some barriers. This is true for many non-standard pedal cycles and mobility aids.
It's even true for some standard pedal cycles with bulky panniers!
Yes, I've repaired panniers on tour at least twice after they've met with barriers on so-called cycle routes. I've also seen a frame damaged by having a rack mounting bolt ripped out, which we couldn't fix: I think the panniers in that case were old ones with hooks which turned out to be stronger than a modern frame's mounting bolt threads.

Anyone ordering such barriers to be installed should have to use an example of them daily. We'd see far fewer injurious or damaging designs of barrier, used a lot more conservatively, instead of whenever some bike-hater claims there will be problems based on no evidence where the barriers will solve neither the complaints, nor any real future instance of the problems.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.