Child on tandem for 40 miles

RickH

Re: Child on tandem for 40 miles

Post by RickH »

I've had a Circe Helios tandem since 2010 & found it to be very adaptable - the rear will fit children from about 4 (with crank shorteners) up to full adult. The added bonus is that you can quickly convert it into a long tail cargo bike (& back) in a few minutes. It rolls pretty well too, not a lot different to the 700C tandem I ride regularly. With 2 adults aboard we've done Cardiff to Chester in 2 days on it (91 miles 1st day, moving average 12mph, & 81 miles the 2nd day, moving average 12.6mph).

A tandem is definitely a lot more stable that a solo plus tag-along for the same size of child, especially once they get bigger.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
seraphina

Post by seraphina »

We graduated from a Followme to a Circe Helios, and it’s fabulous. Every one in our family can ride it, and it extends our range no end. Our eldest child is a born cyclist but the younger not so much, but he’s happy as Larry chatting away on the back of the tandem. He’s now a competent cyclist (at 8 yrs) but I don’t trust him on the roads solo without constant coaching (watch out for that, now we’re going to move out a bit etc…) which makes for a tiring ride and it’s not sustainable for more than a few miles. None of those issues on the tandem.

There are lots of Helios bikes near me (Cambridge) so there’s a good second hand market and we’ll easily get our money back if we decide to sell it. It’s a genuinely nice bike to ride - if you can, go for the hub gears and the disc brakes are a must if you’re heavily laden. Stokers do have a habit of picking the Jelly babies out of the back pocket of your jersey, though.
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

Have you thought about a tow rope like this

Bike Towing Strap,Bicycle Tow Rope Parent-Child Pull Traction Bungee Cord Bike Towing Strap Compatible with All Mountain Bikes MTB Tow Rope with Safety Hook Storage Bag for Adult Kids(Blue) https://amzn.eu/d/56jqOoa

I use them for my 3 year old with his bike you don't get the weight shift side to side, there quick I install just loop over your saddle and around the kids handled bar stem and it will give the kid the help they need to peddle, it take practice for the starts just for balance side but I haven't got to that just yet as we still have training wheels on my sons bike but it's comfortable for me with towing him 20kg plus his bike plus I have a 15kg 18month old in a child seat on my bike on a 5 mile trail ride