One last bike? Time for a treat?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brianjeff50

One last bike? Time for a treat?

Post by Brianjeff50 »

I recently turned 75 and reflected on the fact that I’ve never owned a new bike. As a lad we all built up our own, buying and swapping and cadging bits. Then I spent nearly fifty years away from riding and since coming back I’ve had three used bikes, never spending more than a few hundred pounds.
My present Kinesis 4S is a stalwart all-year, all-rounder. It tackles the lanes, the odd towpath and did an end-to-end. It’s a bit lacking in charisma though.
I’m pathetically slow now but enjoy the buzz of riding and pushing myself still. How long for, who knows.
I think I should treat myself: I’ve never ridden a carbon bike, owned a titanium one or a modern steel one. Should I?
It’s got to be a year rounder, be tough enough to tackle Suffolk’s rubbish roads and able to do a gentlemanly tour (not wild camping!) I’m impressed by disc brakes (got them on my folder) but otherwise I like old-school looks. Ideally it should make me feel quicker than I am too. And not come with a two year waiting list!
Anyone got any opinions?
ed.lazda

Re: One last bike? Time for a treat?

Post by ed.lazda »

I've been wondering about treating myself, although I'm only a youngster (68). I've always been slow. :D

My two thoughts so far are: a bike based on a nice custom-built Mercian steel frame; or a Sturdy bike -- handbuilt titanium frame with 3D printed titanium lugs, handlebars, chainset etc.

I'd probably like to have a go at a modern carbon-framed, aero, super light, burn up on re-entry bike, but don't really have any urge to own one.

Other things that have crossed my mind: Moulton; ICE recumbent trike.

Happy thinking!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

How about a gravel bike? I haven't got one but I would have had a year ago if new bikes in my size hadn't been rare as hen's teeth. The one I was looking at was Decathlon's offering, which had all the attachment points for racks, bags, mudguards etc. and had 135mm rear dropout spacing, which would have been perfect for the motor I'd just bought. And even if you aren't thinking electric right now you might be a year from now. I was still riding my carbon butterfly when I turned 75 and had no thought of going electric, but 2 months later I'd taken the plunge.

The Decathlon effort was so cheap that even if it hadn't suited me it wouldn't have mattered.

Hum... I see it's out of stock again. :(

ETA caveat: motorizing a bike will likely invalidate the guarantee if it's new, and might invalidate your insurance at any time.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

ed.lazda wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 9:56am I've been wondering about treating myself, although I'm only a youngster (68). I've always been slow. :D

My two thoughts so far are: a bike based on a nice custom-built Mercian steel frame; or a Sturdy bike -- handbuilt titanium frame with 3D printed titanium lugs, handlebars, chainset etc.

I'd probably like to have a go at a modern carbon-framed, aero, super light, burn up on re-entry bike, but don't really have any urge to own one.

Other things that have crossed my mind: Moulton; ICE recumbent trike.

Happy thinking!
I’ve got a sturdy bike now - upping it to a Sturdy bike would be a BIG treat. Bit out of my league until the Premium Bonds come in.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I recently turned 75 and reflected on the fact that I’ve never owned a new bike.
Totally relate to that! I'd say go for it, but only if you fancy something special or different - don't just get a new bike for the sake of it... that's a bit like setting fire to a pile of fivers! ;-)
No sooner had I retired when the boss rang me and asked if I fancied doing some casual work which soon racked up enough sauce for me to get the chuffa over to Moulton's place and order a brand new jobbie - something I'd never have contemplated during my working life. It was all Great Fun! Steven, the marketing chappie was very helpful & entertaining and I'm thoroughly enjoying the cycle I bought, albeit at a much slower pace than ever before...
me at The Hall, pocket stuffed full of wonga
me at The Hall, pocket stuffed full of wonga
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 9:50am I recently turned 75 and reflected on the fact that I’ve never owned a new bike. As a lad we all built up our own, buying and swapping and cadging bits. Then I spent nearly fifty years away from riding and since coming back I’ve had three used bikes, never spending more than a few hundred pounds.
My present Kinesis 4S is a stalwart all-year, all-rounder. It tackles the lanes, the odd towpath and did an end-to-end. It’s a bit lacking in charisma though.
I’m pathetically slow now but enjoy the buzz of riding and pushing myself still. How long for, who knows.
I think I should treat myself: I’ve never ridden a carbon bike, owned a titanium one or a modern steel one. Should I?
It’s got to be a year rounder, be tough enough to tackle Suffolk’s rubbish roads and able to do a gentlemanly tour (not wild camping!) I’m impressed by disc brakes (got them on my folder) but otherwise I like old-school looks. Ideally it should make me feel quicker than I am too. And not come with a two year waiting list!
Anyone got any opinions?
I own a 4S too, excellent frameset.

But why does the new one have to be a "year rounder"? Keep the Kinesis and get a lovely fast day ride bike would be my inclination. Any all rounder will probably not be significantly better than a 4S at anything.

As to what? I have a 953 now but previously a carbon road bike. Both were excellent. Standard road bikes tend to come with discs now, which adds cost. Personally I'd look for one with rim brakes.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Clearly if you’re looking to maximise the years you can keep cycling then some sort of ebike should at least be considered. Have a look at those with Ebikemotion/Fazua/FSA systems if you’re not after a ‘motor bike’.

As someone who has also always put his own bikes together I know where you’re coming from there. The one time I did buy a complete bike it was a disappointment in so many ways - so I’d recommend going to a shop or builder that allows you to spec exactly what parts you want. Unfortunately I’m not aware of any ebikes that allow you to do that. Ribble might be the closest but your options are still very limited.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Get the Spa Cycles Elan (I recommend the titanium version) viewtopic.php?t=154970 .
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 9:50am I’m impressed by disc brakes (got them on my folder) but otherwise I like old-school looks. Ideally it should make me feel quicker than I am too. And not come with a two year waiting list!
I've been looking at the new Mercian High Peak Frame. Traditional Mercian style (as far as I can tell) but with discs, thru axles and decent clearance... I'm going to keep looking as It's out of my price bracket for now.
pq

Post by pq »

You don't say how much you're willing to spend, but in your shoes I'd be looking at a racy Ti road bike, but with clearance for larger tyres and mudguard eyes so that you can use it year round and carry luggage. That used to be impossible, but with disc brakes it is very doable. Others have suggested a gravel bike. It depends how fussy you are but to me, my racy Ti gravel bike is a lumbering beast on road....
One link to your website is enough. G
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Brianjeff50 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 9:50am I recently turned 75 and reflected on the fact that I’ve never owned a new bike. As a lad we all built up our own, buying and swapping and cadging bits. Then I spent nearly fifty years away from riding and since coming back I’ve had three used bikes, never spending more than a few hundred pounds.
Anyone got any opinions?
Although in one sense you'd be "treating" yourself with a new and better bike, perhaps you might consider a different perspective. You aren't buying a box of chocolates or a new frock, you're buying a highly functional tool to perform a very complex task so rather than buying a treat, buy a really good tool.

Buying a good tool means getting one that's not just high quality but performant in all the ways you want it to be, with minimum chance of glitch, lack of ability or any other drawback. With a good tool, the colour and the style don't matter. Ergonomics and high functions of the exact sort you want it to perform are what matters.

So ..... why not put aside stuff about liking old school and consider more modern features that will really work for you, experienced in many cycling modes and wanting to continue with them .... but also aged 75?

I'm 74 and have swapped bike types twice now in the last couple of decades. First, the nose-to-the-wheel racing bikes went in favour of a cross-bike having also a "transformer" ability in that it could be a fast road bike , audax bike or full-on touring bike too, with just a few swaps and additions of parts like mudguards, gear ratios, panniers, wheel&tyre types and so forth.

Some years later I graduated to carbon fibre frames, tubeless tyres, disc brakes and other features that greatly improved comfort (on me aging carcase) as well as being noticeably more efficient at using my diminishing pedalling energy to go along smartly.

Just lately, I've graduated to e-bikes of the road and gravel types - lightweight (for e-bikes) and rideable with or without the motor/battery installed. One of these e-bikes is also like that cross bike of old in that it can be a fast road bike, a tourer, a winter bike and a gravel bike.

I'm suggesting, then, that you consider what functions you really want for your cycling not just now but in a future when you, like all of us olegits, gradually lose physical power. An e-bike that looks like an ordinary bike (and can also actually be one, if you take the motor and battery out) will serve you well, especially if it's versatile in the roles it can be employed in. Here's the one I bought:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-e-substa ... e-bike-105

They have others that are similar at different price points, currently with some big discounts:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=e-substance

Mine is currently set up as a winter bike (fat tubeless tyres, wide mudguards and panniers) but it'll be a gravel bike come Spring, for use on the forest tracks. It's also good for shopping. Fast, comfortable and a joy to ride in any and all circumstances.
winter e-bike-3.JPG
winter e-bike-1.JPG
Lezyne pump position.jpg
Brechfa gravel ride C (5 of 7).JPG
Brechfa gravel ride C (1 of 7).JPG
Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

I’ll second the e-bike suggestion. A friend describes his as ‘like my legs were 30 years ago’. If you want a particular manufacturer that might not do e-bikes, consider the Swytch solution of a front hub motor.
Good luck!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Anyone got any opinions?
I don’t welcome the idea of using e-bikes but the practicality of the matter is that they do allow some of the older and / or less fit to continue riding … maybe even myself some day. Better to ride an e-bike than not ride at all and better to ride an e-bike a little ahead of when you might otherwise have to hang up your cycle clips. Perhaps e-drive is the best answer to the treat you seek …

Brand new or second hand? I really don’t favour new because a good enough second hand item is greener, so my suggestion would be to see what good bikes are about second hand that can be converted to an e-bike (if they are not already e-bikes). Indeed consider building something up to your ideal specifications … if you want then even have a used frame checked out and resprayed in the colour(s) of your choice. From what little I know mid-drive appears to be the better of the e-bike options - that drive (placement) would be my own first preference.

Fit is so important to happy use and to that I’d add the question, for now or later, of diamond or open frame too. Perhaps a bike fit / fitting might be a good idea and to that, and particularly with older age / impaired abilities in mind, I’d suggest considering an open or semi open frame. The main bike that I use has a Mixte frame and its ease of mounting has proven a big plus without much noticeable downside - whilst OK now I’ve been able to ride my Mixte when reduced mobility would have otherwise stopped me from cycling.

Good luck and enjoy.
Last edited by Carlton green on 14 Mar 2023, 8:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Plan B, fly your 4s to somewhere where you won't be worrying about the bike and make some happy memories. Me and my 4S.

If that doesn't appeal, Titanium is jolly nice :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had that same itchy feet experience looking for something new a few years ago after I retired. I treated myself to a Focus Variado, 10 speed, Shimano 105, aluminium frame with carbon forks, compact gearing and all the latest bells and whistles to replace my 7 speed Pergeot 531 Pro with d/t shifters and Shimano 105. I was expecting a big change in performance which it wasn't. After the excitement of a new bike died down I realised I preferred my trusty steel Pergeot 531 pro, and my new bike got hung up in the garage until I sold it.
Subsequently my Pergeot has an 8 speed Shimergo set up with a stronglight 28/42 chainset to give me lower gearing, carbon forks and Mavic wheels. One can customise ones bike to meet your individual requirements.

And when I need help I can fit a mid drive unit to the steel Pergeot frame to assist me. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D