BEVs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

I appreciate the BEV mostly because they...

cost less to run than an equivalent petrol or diesel car
12%
are reducing the harm done to our planet and its lifeforms
14%
are quiet and smooth
10%
can be refuelled with my own renewable energy production
14%
can supply energy to the home and Grid
5%
No! I am concerned they are just another way of making the car seem acceptable
45%

Total votes: 73

Jules59

Re: BEVs

Post by Jules59 »

I'll be sorry to see the demise of the ICE. If I look towards the west with Birmingham in the distance I can observe the most beautiful sunsets courtesy of the city's air pollution.
Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1949 (Large).jpg
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Jules59 wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 5:08pm I'll be sorry to see the demise of the ICE. If I look towards the west with Birmingham in the distance I can observe the most beautiful sunsets courtesy of the city's air pollution.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1949 (Large).jpg
If it wasn't so warm I'd be thinking wood stoves... :mrgreen:
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

But the smell of car exhausts is a thing from the past, unless an engine has been started from cold
This is so obviously false, I'd suggest you are either an air pollution denier or have a defective sense of smell!
As the scientists remind us, it's pollution from tyres which is much more of a concern.
Also a highly dubious claim.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mark R wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 5:44pm
But the smell of car exhausts is a thing from the past, unless an engine has been started from cold
This is so obviously false, I'd suggest you are either an air pollution denier or have a defective sense of smell!
As the scientists remind us, it's pollution from tyres which is much more of a concern.
Also a highly dubious claim.
You might find it dubious, but others would disagree with you -

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tyre ... study-says
https://www.science.org/content/article ... isk-salmon
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/news/major-s ... -and-ocean

Yes, I can smell the exhaust pollution of cars with cold engines, of cars with faults, of some older cars, but in general I find modern car exhausts are extraordinarily clean.

An air pollution denier? Well, that's a new one.
sjs

Post by sjs »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:02pm The suspension failure could have occurred on any vehicle, but it's both more likely, and importantly is an unexpected expense, on a vehicle which isn't covered by warranty. The comparison there was between a ten year old car and a brand new one, not between BEV and ICE.
The only suspension failure I've had was on an 18 month old Tesla. True it didn't cost me money to fix, but did cost a lot of inconvenience.

[XAP]Bob wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:02pm.
An EV station... no exhaust on the floor, nothing smelly being moved around, nothing to spill out over the connectors.

As I said - having not been to a liquid fuel forecourt in over two years it was somewhat of a shock to the system, and I used to use that forecourt frequently. It's not one that's particularly worse than any other.
On the other hand you're going to spend about 10 times longer per visit at the EV charging station. And a lot of EV charging points are incorporated into standard filling stations.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What you can often smell is a smell caused by the catylic converter.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

sjs wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 1:25pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 1:02pm.
An EV station... no exhaust on the floor, nothing smelly being moved around, nothing to spill out over the connectors.

As I said - having not been to a liquid fuel forecourt in over two years it was somewhat of a shock to the system, and I used to use that forecourt frequently. It's not one that's particularly worse than any other.
On the other hand you're going to spend about 10 times longer per visit at the EV charging station. And a lot of EV charging points are incorporated into standard filling stations.
As I understand things at the moment the comparative filling time for rapid charging and petrol tank filling are likely in that order or worse. Of course the rapid charging might well - and sadly it’s not unlikely - degrade your battery and a long range battery car has about half the range of a similar petrol powered car.

Of course times will change and are changing, battery technology will improve and somehow roll down to models that the poorer folk in society use, but such changes aren’t on my horizon. I look around and see hardly any electric cars and certainly no public charging where I live. Similarly I see very few independent garages that have the skills required to maintain electric cars, electric cars might well be reliable but a reliable thing that can’t be mended is more of a liability than a less reliable thing that can be mended.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A great deal depends on where you live, and it’s pretty easy to see the distribution if you look at charging point maps.

Something that is pushing rural charging facilities is holiday lets, where townies are beginning to look for a charging point in the same way that they look for broadband, as one of the factors attracting them to a particular cottage. I think The Archers has a rural charging plot line at the moment, but I only hear it accidentally and occasionally, so I don’t know the details.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 2:30pm What you can often smell is a smell caused by the catylic converter.

Al
Rotten eggs - or hydrogen sulphide if you're posh.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Nearholmer wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 3:07pm A great deal depends on where you live, and it’s pretty easy to see the distribution if you look at charging point maps.

Something that is pushing rural charging facilities is holiday lets, where townies are beginning to look for a charging point in the same way that they look for broadband, as one of the factors attracting them to a particular cottage. I think The Archers has a rural charging plot line at the moment, but I only hear it accidentally and occasionally, so I don’t know the details.
Yes, I think that individual homes and businesses might well chose to have charging points but whether that leads to public charging points is another matter.

With regard to cars it’s going to be interesting to see what happens in 2025 with euro 7 (which also has parts that apply to electric cars too). https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/running ... ained#gref
Of course we’re outside of the EU now but in practice there will still be overlap.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I should imagine that rural areas will naturally see among the slowest take up of BEV for multiple reasons:

- average trip distances are probably longer than in more densely populated areas;

- more genuine element of needing a car in “hot standby” mode for emergencies;

- in some counties, a markedly older than average demographic, with a proportion unlikely to buy another car after the one they have now;

- some rural areas have quite low average incomes;

- etc.

I’d guess that some north of England urban areas will also see slow take-up, simply because of low average incomes.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Nearholmer wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 4:53pm

I’d guess that some north of England urban areas will also see slow take-up, simply because of low average incomes.
And some southern urban areas too. You're making the mistake of thinking all in the south are well off. Some London boroughs are amongst the most deprived in the country.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pete75 wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 5:21pm
Nearholmer wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 4:53pm

And some southern urban areas too. You're making the mistake of thinking all in the south are well off. Some London boroughs are amongst the most deprived in the country.
Places not associated with wealth have comfortably off folk and places associated with wealth also have relative poverty. The country is split in many different ways.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

You're making the mistake of thinking all in the south are well off. Some London boroughs are amongst the most deprived in the country.
Be an odd mistake for me to make as a southerner, and a person who spent forty years working in and around London, with frequent cause to be in decidedly not-prosperous areas.

No, London has a different dynamic. It does have quite high take-up overall, because as well as having very deprived areas, it has very rich areas, often rubbing right up against one another, but it also has, taken as a whole, far better public transport than most places in the UK, so the whole modal pattern of travel is different. Added to which, London has a ULEZ.

This graphic from SMMT, which takes a bit of reading, seems to show London as having highest % of EVs of any region, but I haven’t yet found more granular or more up-to-date information.
Attachments
D743910A-F797-4BBA-8268-D4FBF46CAFC9.jpeg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Nearholmer wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 5:46pm
You're making the mistake of thinking all in the south are well off. Some London boroughs are amongst the most deprived in the country.
Be an odd mistake for me to make as a southerner, and a person who spent forty years working in and around London, with frequent cause to be in decidedly not-prosperous areas.

No, London has a different dynamic. It does have quite high take-up overall, because as well as having very deprived areas, it has very rich areas, often rubbing right up against one another, but it also has, taken as a whole, far better public transport than most places in the UK, so the whole modal pattern of travel is different. Added to which, London has a ULEZ.

This graphic from SMMT, which takes a bit of reading, seems to show London as having highest % of EVs of any region, but I haven’t yet found more granular or more up-to-date information.
Yes London as a whole may have more electric vehicles but I'd imagine there will be very low take ups in some boroughs.
There are other deprived areas in the south too, not just in London. Dismal dumps like Luton, Swindon, High Wycombe, Romford, Brentwood, Dartford, Harlow, Stevenage, Slough, Dagenham, Crawley etc probably won't have a very high take up either , at least until second hand prices drop to bugger all.