Why is forum hard to find from front page?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
soapbox

I can't find the forum

Post by soapbox »

I obviously can, because I'm here, but the old way of getting in, from the 'go cycling' header, to 'advice', to the drop-down folder with 'forum' in it has changed. It's only by accident that I'm here, having searched for forum and the old headers have come up.

Is there an easier way to navigate to the forum? Why has it changed, and isn't accesible by clicking onto 'go cycling' anymore?
admin
Site Admin

Re: I can't find the forum

Post by admin »

The Forum is a separate website to the main Cycling UK site.

I don't know why the Forum link was removed the from the main Cycling UK site menu, but there is still a link at the bottom of every page.

You could try asking cycling@cyclinguk.org whether they could include a link to the Forum in the main menu again.

You can, of course, come direct to the Forum by the URL https://forum.cyclinguk.org - perhaps you might want to save it as a bookmark in your web browser?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

It's the first hit on Bing if you search for "CTC Forum".
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

soapbox wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 5:48pm I obviously can, because I'm here, but the old way of getting in, from the 'go cycling' header, to 'advice', to the drop-down folder with 'forum' in it has changed. It's only by accident that I'm here, having searched for forum and the old headers have come up.

You're right, somebody has done summat....Yes, there ARE ways to still get in BUT, somebody has definitely done summat.

Pixies ????
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

May be a silly question , but how do you get to the Cycling UK website in the first place? Do you have a bookmark or type it into google, or start to type it in your browser?

Can you do the same for the forum?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not a problem on a Mac desktop as it still linked fine, needed re-linking on mobile & tablet. Odd.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

admin wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 6:00pm The Forum is a separate website to the main Cycling UK site.

I don't know why the Forum link was removed the from the main Cycling UK site menu, but there is still a link at the bottom of every page.

You could try asking cycling@cyclinguk.org whether they could include a link to the Forum in the main menu again.

You can, of course, come direct to the Forum by the URL https://forum.cyclinguk.org - perhaps you might want to save it as a bookmark in your web browser?
(Thinks) Has somebody decided that promoting the forum is no longer a good idea?
slowster

Post by slowster »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:45am (Thinks) Has somebody decided that promoting the forum is no longer a good idea?
It's just temporary while the new forum software roll out is being completed. Instead of shadow bans, we now have an entire shadow forum. While most of us are having nice discussions about routes, tours and bikes, a small minority have been moved across to a new virtual forum, where they can argue about helmets, Brexit and whatever else to their heart's content. The rest of the posters on the shadow forum are just bots to give it the feel of the real forum. The last time I looked there were only half a dozen real people there, and they're mostly arguing with the bots. Sometimes they argue with the moderators, but the moderators are also bots.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bearing in mind the reply from Admin, that leaves me wondering if it's a Victor Lewis Smith type explanation

viewtopic.php?p=1744900#p1744900
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

cycle bot.JPG
I asked my tame AI for a picture of "An AI moderating a bicycle forum"
No pasaran
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

admin wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 6:00pm The Forum is a separate website to the main Cycling UK site.

Thank you. I've done as you've suggested and saved it as a bookmark. I still preferred it when it was. I never noticed that there was a link at the bottom of the page, probably because I've never scrolled down to the bottom of the page!
Anyway, thanks for your help.
gaz

Post by gaz »

admin wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 6:00pmI don't know why the Forum link was removed the from the main Cycling UK site menu, but there is still a link at the bottom of every page.
Footer.png
Helpfully labelled "Speak to us today", which requires a fairly broad definition of "us" when the forum is not an official comms channel for contacting Cycling UK.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

"A funny thing happened on the way to the forum".......... :twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The link I was talking about was the one further down, a simple "Forum" text link.

I never thought to look in the "Speak to us today" social media icons for a Forum icon!
horizon

Post by horizon »

slowster wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 3:23pm
thirdcrank wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:45am (Thinks) Has somebody decided that promoting the forum is no longer a good idea?
It's just temporary while the new forum software roll out is being completed. Instead of shadow bans, we now have an entire shadow forum. While most of us are having nice discussions about routes, tours and bikes, a small minority have been moved across to a new virtual forum, where they can argue about helmets, Brexit and whatever else to their heart's content. The rest of the posters on the shadow forum are just bots to give it the feel of the real forum. The last time I looked there were only half a dozen real people there, and they're mostly arguing with the bots. Sometimes they argue with the moderators, but the moderators are also bots.
slowster: please can you explain this further or point to where there are formal announcements or clarifications regarding this. Thank you.

(Apologies if I have missed an ironic intent here.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher