New cassette and chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Devz

New cassette and chain

Post by Devz »

Hi everyone

So I got my bike fixed the other day and although fixed the tech did mention my cassette and chain are worn and new ones should be considered.

I have an 8 speed cassette and he mentioned that if I get a 34 chain, it would make cycling up hills easier and general cycling easier..

I’m still learning but is this true and are there any disadvantage to getting this larger chain on my 8 speed?

Thanks guys
Jdsk

Re: New cassette and chain

Post by Jdsk »

How many chainwheels at the front, and how many teeth on each?

How many teeth on the sprockets at the rear?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

When you're cycling uphill would you like to have a lower gear?

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

He may have meant an 8 speed cassette with 34 teeth on the largest sprocket, which presumably is more than the current cassette.
It would make cycling up hill easier. Only an advantage if you find it hard cycling up hill now with the chain on the largest sprocket and the smallest chain ring
Richard M
Cardiff
Devz

Post by Devz »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 6:51pm How many chainwheels at the front, and how many teeth on each?

How many teeth on the sprockets at the rear?

Thanks

Jonathan
Thanks

Ok I’m still learning so if the chainrings are near the pedals where the chain goes round then I have two. This is the specs:

Rear Derailleur
Shimano RD-TX800, 8-speed

Front Derailleur
Shimano FD-M315, 31.8mm clamp

Crank
Prowheel TA-CQ68, 42/34/24T, 170mm

Cassette
Shimano CS-HG200 8-speed, 12-32T

Chain
KMC 8-speed

The tech said I could go from 32 to 34 and it may be better up hills..

On the hardest gears it rubs on the front derailleur.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Going from 32 to 34 teeth will make a difference but not a significant one. Could try 36 teeth or 40 teeth with a longer cage derailleur. The chain should not rub on a front derailleur designed to work with a triple crank. Some adjustment with the limit screws or the positioning of the FD should cure this.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Dev, I've guessed that your wheels are 27 inch or near. That gives us a gear chart as below. I like low gears and my lowest is the same as the one circled. I think your gears are already a good spread for general purpose. Do you struggle up hills? If not, leave well alone is my advice.
gear chart
gear chart
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Devz

Post by Devz »

So Ive just got my head round about everything now lol.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I will replace the cassette and chain.
Quick question: can I make the bike go faster with certain types of replacements for these two parts? Would 34 teeth make it quicker, or even the quality of the cassette?

Slightly off-topic, but I want to get rid of the rubbing on the front derailleur, which seems to be one thing no tech (had four since I bought it) has been able to crack. Three Halfords ones and the jabberwocky independent tech who bust my gears recently.
No matter what, the chain always rubs the front derailleur when the gears are in their most resistant position (the highest on both sides). Would 34 teeth solve this? As I said no one can crack this.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Devz wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:37pm So Ive just got my head round about everything now lol.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I will replace the cassette and chain.
Quick question: can I make the bike go faster with certain types of replacements for these two parts?
You can make the bike go faster only by applying more effort
Would 34 teeth make it quicker, or even the quality of the cassette?
No

Slightly off-topic, but I want to get rid of the rubbing on the front derailleur, which seems to be one thing no tech (had four since I bought it) has been able to crack. Three Halfords ones and the jabberwocky independent tech who bust my gears recently.
No matter what, the chain always rubs the front derailleur when the gears are in their most resistant position (the highest on both sides). Would 34 teeth solve this?
No
As I said no one can crack this.
Follow instructions here would be my suggestion

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/blog/re ... adjustment
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Devz wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:37pm ...
Would 34 teeth make it quicker...
Jdsk wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 6:53pm When you're cycling uphill would you like to have a lower gear?
Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No matter what, the chain always rubs the front derailleur when the gears are in their most resistant position (the highest on both sides). Would 34 teeth solve this? As I said no one can crack this.
Do you want to solve it yourself (as linked upthread) or pay someone to solve it? And if the latter where are you?

Thanks

Jonathan

Post by 853 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 3:16pm
Devz wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:37pm

Thanks for the link, I actually learnt something from it that I didn't know (I've been fitting my front derailleur too high for 40+ years!)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

853 wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 6:33pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 3:16pm
Devz wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:37pm

Thanks for the link, I actually learnt something from it that I didn't know (I've been fitting my front derailleur too high for 40+ years!)
The Park tool guides are invariably excellent on everything, always my first go to when unsure.
Devz

Post by Devz »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 5:15pm
Do you want to solve it yourself (as linked upthread) or pay someone to solve it? And if the latter where are you?

Thanks

Jonathan
I’m gonna pay Halfords to fit the new chain and cassette ring. I will mention the front derailleur rubbing iagain then, and if they can’t fix it (again) then I’ll try it myself.

Weird though as no one can seem to fix this issue. Could be a bike error?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Devz wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 9:17pm Could be a bike error?
Yeah, or maybe a spaceship error?