Goodbye zefal hpx pump

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Goodbye zefal hpx pump

Post by cycle tramp »

It looks as if the hpx frame pump by zefal has been discontinued.. if you have one and find its a useful tool, now may be an idea to stock up on a spare...
pwa

Re: Goodbye zefal hpx pump

Post by pwa »

Thanks. A great pump, made to work well and to last. I have three or four, now mostly unused because I don't use frame-fit pumps anymore. I use another great pump that works just as well, but which fits in my rack top bag. I wonder if frame-fit pumps are less in tune with modern bikes.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Best road pump ever. Probably its main problem is that they are very tough, almost a pump for life unless you loss it.
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

A pity I found them ideal for touring as they were metal and very well constructed (nothing worse than a plastic pump falling apart when you are somewhere remote ) Also you could get spares and they did both valve types .
PH

Post by PH »

Have they been discontinued? I don't know otherwise, but neither would it be the first time that's been reported. Has it been announced somewhere?
They've been a bit niche for many years, I rarely see any frame fit pumps and when I do it's nearly always on a traditional bike. I stopped using them after having two nicked, so they must be popular with some! Even without that, I doubt I'd still be using one, the mini track design, like the Topeak Morph, suits me and the trend for higher volume/lower pressure tyres better.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

PH wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 1:02pm Have they been discontinued? I don't know otherwise, but neither would it be the first time that's been reported. Has it been announced somewhere?
It was reported in Grant's blog, Rivendell zCycles website
colin54

Post by colin54 »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 1:53pm
PH wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 1:02pm Have they been discontinued? I don't know otherwise, but neither would it be the first time that's been reported. Has it been announced somewhere?
It was reported in Grant's blog, Rivendell zCycles website
Half way down this page
https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/grant-pet ... 1aec&_ss=r
Nu-Fogey
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

These modern day mini pumps are all but useless, the zefal frame fit pump was pretty good at getting your tyres up to pressure out on the road.
I did buy another ,recently ,new old stock maybe.
Have you ever tried to fight an aggressive dog with a mini pump?

No chance!
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Saw one NOS at a cycle jumble last weekend at a good price.

Might have got it if I didn't already have two gathering dust in the garage, having switched to various models of Topeak Morph.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

Grldtnr wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 6:38pm These modern day mini pumps are all but useless, the zefal frame fit pump was pretty good at getting your tyres up to pressure out on the road.
I did buy another ,recently ,new old stock maybe.
Have you ever tried to fight an aggressive dog with a mini pump?

No chance!
I did once pick up the whole bike and use it to fend off a large snarling dog. Before dismounting I had the presence of mind to drop the chain onto the smallest ring, leaving the bare teeth of the largest as a potential weapon, which the dog was going to get in the face if it got too close with those exposed teeth. The dog backed off so I never got to test it. But I'd bet it would make a better defence than an HPX.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Tickle it's tonsils with it , , you have a fair chance at the beast keeping its distance, can't do that with a mini pump , which ever brand it is.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 10:48am It looks as if the hpx frame pump by zefal has been discontinued.. if you have one and find its a useful tool, now may be an idea to stock up on a spare...
Too late, unless your bike's the correct size for a size 3 pump.
1, 2, and 4 are out of stock everywhere, and have been for the best part of a year.

The Topeak Road Master Blaster is a near equivalent.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

sizbut wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 11:58am Best road pump ever. Probably its main problem is that they are very tough, almost a pump for life unless you loss it.
The first one I bought (about tweny five years ago) was run over by a car - the handle was slightly flattened but after sorting that out it was still working.
I still have it today and it's stiil working with no problems.
I have another two - sad to hear that they are being discotinued.
I do see them for sale at jumbles.