Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You forgot the towel
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Do we know what time of day it will go off ?

I don't want to be on the road at the moment so many drivers will be trying to answer their phone - they will be going through hedges and everything.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:22pm Do we know what time of day it will go off ?
There's an approximate timing in the official statement. First linked article in the first reply in this thread.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think it's a load of tosh. We'd be better off with an "air raid siren". :lol:

The system is rigged for people with (a) a mobile signal and (b) that they even have a mobile phone ........... let alone switched on, charged up and with a valid SIM in it.

There are complete blank spots round here, and I know we're not unusual.

2007, I hit a big pothole and came off near the bottom of the Lynher Valley. Rather badly hurt and a cop car was just coming the other way a minute after my off and patched me up, loaded my bike in the back and drove me home. I wanted to phone Mrs Mick F, but there was no signal. The copper had no mobile signal either, but we both re-acquired the signals as we drove out of the valley.

We changed from Orange/EE to Vodaphone some years ago because the EE people turned off our local mast. Just like that. Signal one day, then nowt. No warning, no nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:30am ...
The system is rigged for people with (a) a mobile signal and (b) that they even have a mobile phone ........... let alone switched on, charged up and with a valid SIM in it.

There are complete blank spots round here, and I know we're not unusual.
It's an additional way of alerting people who do have a 'phone that's connected in an area where there's service.

It doesn't take anything away from people who don't.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 5:58pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 1:11pm
reohn2 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 1:06pm How do I turn it off?
That's in the FAQs, second link upthread.
The PDF? Great way to reduce readership. More world-beating cluelessness from gov.uk!
Well,I must admit......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:14am I turned mine off because I don't like Big Brother.
If I want to be alerted, I'll say so. I do not want it being switched on by default.

Mrs Mick F and I share our locations with each other via the Find My app ........... but it's a conscious decision by both of us to do so.
The fact that you have the ability to turn it means you have that conscous decision option already,shirly?
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, R2.
Conscious decision.

Until this thread - like I've said - I knew nothing about Emergency Alerts in my settings. It's way way way WAY down the bottom. If it's so important, it should have its own section.

Any road up, I've not heard anything about this test in April in any of the press I've read and heard. I'm sure I'm not unusual.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:56am ...
Any road up, I've not heard anything about this test in April in any of the press I've read and heard. I'm sure I'm not unusual.
What do you read and listen to?

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:56am Yes, R2.
Conscious decision.

Until this thread - like I've said - I knew nothing about Emergency Alerts in my settings. It's way way way WAY down the bottom. If it's so important, it should have its own section.

There'll probably be anouncements on TV and radio in the days leading up to it so it won't "alarm" people :wink:

PS,of course for those without TV and radio and who are oblivious* but who do have a mobile phone and haven't turn off their alerts,it could be interesting to watch their antics when it does go off :lol:

*oops :oops: nearly typed oblivion there,apologies...
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Seriously, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that humanity is struggling with unprecidented existential threat which is resulting in some strange new ways of behaving. News of the emergency alert may form part of the anxiety.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plus One from me, Simon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:26am Seriously, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that humanity is struggling with unprecidented existential threat which is resulting in some strange new ways of behaving. News of the emergency alert may form part of the anxiety.
Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:37am Plus One from me, Simon.
More, please: what are these "strange new ways of behaving"?

Thanks

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:30am I think it's a load of tosh. We'd be better off with an "air raid siren". :lol:
Or lighting beacons on the hillsides.
mjr

Post by mjr »

drossall wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 1:36pm
Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:30am I think it's a load of tosh. We'd be better off with an "air raid siren". :lol:
Or lighting beacons on the hillsides.
The last sirens in Norfolk were switched off about a decade ago. Air raid sirens that became nuclear and flood warning sirens in the 1950s. One of the last tests had 1 in 8 fail to sound, whereas people notice and complain if a mobile phone mast fails, so I think this changeover to phone alerts is probably an improvement. It also gives more information than a siren.

It might be good if they could also send warnings through the smart meter network, to show as a message on the consumer access device.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.