Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by simonineaston »

I expect they're just getting ready for when potty Putin finally loses it...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 9:09am I expect they're just getting ready for when potty Putin finally loses it...
What difference will it make. When the Satan missiles rain down it's best not to know in adavance and to be killed by the first strike.The alternative is this
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"When the Satan missiles rain down it's best not to know in adavance and to be killed by the first strike.The alternative is this .... "

If one does get sufficient warning of nukes, best run towards pop centres/targets, not away! Get it over with ASAP.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I can't see why anyone would want to turn them off...............after a quick look at posts no one seems to give one.

The alert could be very useful following chemical releases, fires at plants, dangerous releases into water supply. All very rare events, but having a way to alert people seems a good idea.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

We are all a bit odd, are we not ?

I can understand being wary of anything promulgated by the present government, or the Met Police, but the emergency services work incredibly hard to protect and assist people and communities when they can predict dangerous or threatening events. How do you think they feel when people "turn it off".

What, exactly, is the perceived downside ?
No pasaran
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I turned mine off because I don't like Big Brother.
If I want to be alerted, I'll say so. I do not want it being switched on by default.

Mrs Mick F and I share our locations with each other via the Find My app ........... but it's a conscious decision by both of us to do so.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I recall reading a Penguin book called Hiroshima (my dad worked for Allen Lane in the late '50s, but not for long...) when I was young and being struck by the passage that described the scorch marks left behind people who'd otherwise disappeared - vapourised by the heat. The scorch marks formed a sort of ghastly hyper hot equivalent of their normal sun-powered "shadow".
Still, I don't s'pose it hurts much...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

pete75 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 8:47pm Our headmaster was one of those strange folk who think Glasgow is called Glarsgow and grass is called grarss. One of his pet phrases was silly asses, with his pronunciation of ass causing much schoolboy amusement.
We were amused by a teacher who pronounced gas garse. In the 50 years since, he's still the only one I've ever heard saying it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:14am I turned mine off because I don't like Big Brother.
When did you last read 1984?

A broadcast alert system isn't what was criticised there.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gom

Post by gom »

I’m baffled by the idea that this alert system is somehow tracking people. Your mobile supplier pretty much knows where your phone is all the time it is connected to their network. If there is ever immediate threat to life where I am I’d probably be glad to know. Most likely to be flooding I think, to which effective response is actually possible.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If we flooded, there would be countless millions of homes underwater all over SW England!

We don't need a mobile phone to warn us, though I could understand other people in low-lying flood-prone areas need a warning.

I understand very much indeed about mobile phone companies knowing where your phone is.
BT know where we live, let alone SW Electricity, and many companies who stuff deliver to us.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So in what way do you think that an emergency alert is "tracking" you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't.

I don't like non-requested external inputs to me I suppose.
If I ask for them, that's fine.

Until this thread, I knew nothing about the alert system on my phone and how it was set to ON without my switching it on. The default was ON, and I knew nothing about it, so turned it OFF.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

softlips wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 10:20am I can't see why anyone would want to turn them off...............after a quick look at posts no one seems to give one.

The alert could be very useful following chemical releases, fires at plants, dangerous releases into water supply. All very rare events, but having a way to alert people seems a good idea.
And very helpful in enabling us to help others. In our village the first actions after receiving such an alert would be to contact and support the vulnerable.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Have you since learnt about it and having learnt about it do you think it is positive system and you might then choose to turn it on out of your own free will?

I only ask because not far from where I work there's been two or three fires at chemical plants or storage sites over the last 5 years or so that resulted in the recommendation for those in the area to remain in their houses with all windows and doors shut until told it's safe to come out. It's not a guaranteed way to let ppl know by local radio especially since it's actually not local anymore since it got taken over by a national independent radio network.