Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by Jdsk »

It's often come up in other threads that some people aren't as confident with their smart 'phones as others.

If anyone would like any help with understanding what this is all about please ask. I'll have a go at answering questions about the whole scheme and what's going to happen and how you can manage it. And about Apple devices. And I'm sure that someone else will help with Android devices.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:19pm :lol: :lol:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid. I'm objecting to the ONLY information about this alert is what I've read on here. Also objecting STRONGLY about Apple burying the settings for the alerts right down - way down right at the bottom - in Settings/Notifications.

Considering the "seriousness" of the "government" warning idea, the alert setting should either be a separate menu item, or be right near the top.

Note that they are labeled "EMERGENCY ALERTS".

IMG_1725.PNG
Similarly the option to use mobile data when the wifi signal is weak is at the very bottom of that page... bad design isn't limited to Apple, and isn't evidence of a government conspiracy to drown you in alerts and stop you from reading this forum.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:56pm
mjr wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 12:35am
maximus meridius wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 1:00pm Yes, my principal source for rational advice and opinions is Facebook.
Yes, from reading about this alert test on facebook, I've discovered:
1. once you get this alert and click to dismiss it, the government have access to your phone, like spammers do when they text you;
2. but you are not able to use your phone after getting this alert until you click to dismiss it;
3. it's connected with covid and Matt Hancock.

Of course, the above is false, but being spread widely on Fake Book.
Full Fact on false claims on Facebook:
https://fullfact.org/online/emergency-phone-alert-gdpr/
Full Fact on two more false claims on Facebook:
https://fullfact.org/online/emergency-a ... ovid-data/

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I am not on the conspiracy wing on this, but nor would I place any faith in "The Cabinet Office has confirmed to Full Fact that the alerts will not collect personal data.

The alerts will also not enable the government to know if phones are active or where they are. ..."

Fullfact appears to take HMG assurances at face value!
mjr

Post by mjr »

djnotts wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 5:47pm I am not on the conspiracy wing on this, but nor would I place any faith in "The Cabinet Office has confirmed to Full Fact that the alerts will not collect personal data.

The alerts will also not enable the government to know if phones are active or where they are. ..."

True, but in android's case, we can read the relevant bit of programming to check and it really does nothing but display a notification!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

mjr wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 5:49pm
djnotts wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 5:47pm I am not on the conspiracy wing on this, but nor would I place any faith in "The Cabinet Office has confirmed to Full Fact that the alerts will not collect personal data.

True, but in android's case, we can read the relevant bit of programming to check and it really does nothing but display a notification!
Fact is always to be be preferred over government assurances.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Local council announced it on social media on Friday. I'd bet it will appear in the next editions of their various monthly emails. Still 4 weeks to go.
WestNorfolkBC on Twitter wrote: "A UK-wide emergency alert system will be tested nationally on Sunday 23 April. The system will warn people when their lives are in danger. An Emergency Alert is a loud, siren-like sound with a message on your mobile phone screen. To find out more, visit https://t.co/mpXRzC5Yrx. https://t.co/8XMFPMuzpo" / Twitter – https://mobile.twitter.com/WestNorfolkB ... 7334631425
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

It's greyed out (and set to on) :roll:

Messages > Settings > Notifications > Emergency Alerts
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Manc33 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 1:35pm It's greyed out (and set to on)

Messages > Settings > Notifications > Emergency Alerts
What device is that on? And which version of the operating system?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just been reading the .gov website. Laughing my socks off too! :lol: :lol:

Early evening on Sunday 23rd.

Early evening on a Sunday is a time for a nap. Many people go to Evensong on a Sunday at their local parish church. What happens if you work nights and are still asleep?

I see that if you don't have a smartphone the emergency services will contact you. How are they going to do that, and how do they know you haven't got a smartphone?
Will I still receive emergency alerts if I don’t have a smartphone?
Emergency alerts work on all 4G and 5G phone networks widely used by smartphones. This will not include older ‘non-smart’ phones but the 3G technology that they use is being switched off next year. If you do not have a compatible device, you’ll still be informed about an emergency as the emergency services have other ways to warn you when there is a threat to life.
So, if they are still going to warn you anyway, why have a alert system alarm in the first place?

Any road up, my alerts remain off. Mrs Mick F and me have been chatting about this fiasco, and she's in two minds about her phone being "de-alerted". One, she doesn't want the intrusion, and two, she's intrigued to hear and watch it happen. Meanwhile, she has smart hearing aids which are controlled by her smartphone. She'll be removing her hearing aids on Sunday! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 9:28amEarly evening on a Sunday is a time for a nap. Many people go to Evensong on a Sunday at their local parish church. What happens if you work nights and are still asleep?
For major emergencies it might be a good idea to wake people up.

Would you prefer that people at church or asleep aren't alerted?

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 9:28amI see that if you don't have a smartphone the emergency services will contact you. How are they going to do that, and how do they know you haven't got a smartphone?
By using the other existing methods.

"They" won't know if you don't have a smartphone.

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 9:28am
Will I still receive emergency alerts if I don’t have a smartphone?
Emergency alerts work on all 4G and 5G phone networks widely used by smartphones. This will not include older ‘non-smart’ phones but the 3G technology that they use is being switched off next year. If you do not have a compatible device, you’ll still be informed about an emergency as the emergency services have other ways to warn you when there is a threat to life.
So, if they are still going to warn you anyway, why have a alert system alarm in the first place?
Because it might work better overall if a range of different methods of alerting is used.

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Finally (?) made it to R4 Today this morning. Valid point by Domestic Violence charity for those with a vital secret 2nd phone to turn-off the Alert.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fancy all that can be said about the technology is that it's already there and the tendency will be for it to become increasingly sophisticated.

The questions then, are about how it will be used. One point - picked up from posts on here - is that it it will apparently be capable of being targeted down to a quite local level.

The ability to broadcast life-saving information quickly and effectively must be a good thing. Having said that, I'd be concerned that our rulers would have no qualms about making "emergency" announcements to undermine opposition to their policies.

Then, there must be a tendency to backside covering over things like weather warnings.

Then, there seems to be a feeling in some quarters that if the equipment is there, it has to be used. eg We currently have some long-term roadworks on the M62, where the SMART motorway is being made even smarter. This inevitably involves emergency measures eg temporary speed limits and lane closures. The other day, the signs on the gantries we also exhorting DON'T DROP LITTER - BIN IT. I don't doubt the importance of keeping Britain tidy but there's a time and a place.

One incalculable threat is the vulnerability of the system to a modern Lord Haw Haw.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

djnotts wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 12:28pm Finally (?) made it to R4 Today this morning. Valid point by Domestic Violence charity for those with a vital secret 2nd phone to turn-off the Alert.
Absolutely! :shock:
Children, "battered wives" and "battered husbands" and people having illicit affairs.
Turn the damned thing off, or better still, get rid of the people in charge of this fiasco.

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 1:10pmOne incalculable threat is the vulnerability of the system to a modern Lord Haw Haw.
Spot on TC.
I repeat, get rid of the people in charge of this fiasco.

We have been busy today, and physically hard at work ............ long story, but we needed a pint.
We called in at the Queen's Head on our way home.
The subject was raised regarding stuff in general about "the older generation" and how councils are getting rid of Pay and Display carparks. They are fitting machines that use smartphone apps to pay, and how "older people" don't use apps or perhaps don't use a smartphone at all.

Then, I raised the subject about this fiasco of the alert on the 23rd of this month. Three or four people hadn't even heard of it, and a couple of them didn't even own a mobile phone of any sort at all. Yes, we are all of the older generation!
Mick F. Cornwall
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Mick F wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 2:45pm The subject was raised regarding stuff in general about "the older generation" and how councils are getting rid of Pay and Display carparks. They are fitting machines that use smartphone apps to pay, and how "older people" don't use apps or perhaps don't use a smartphone at all.
Yes, this is an important topic for public debate which I don't see having much airtime. And it's so much more than carparks, together with a tendency to make the use of cash as difficult as possible, if not impossible.

Beyond the question of those who can't use the technology, are we entering a world which hasn't been tested or even properly considered for resilience against all sorts of possibilities?

Although it's not unlawful to refuse cash or only take payment in a certain way, any form of discrimination is not legal.