Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 4:15pm What are you supposed to do when you get a warning of a nuclear attack?
"Now, we shall receive four minutes' warning of any impending nuclear attack. Some people have said 'Oh, my goodness me, four minutes, that's not a very long time'. Well, I would remind the doubters that some people in this great country of ours can run a mile in four minutes."

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Turned mine off.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 9:04amMine is now "off".
Mick F wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 4:44pm Turned mine off.
Why?

Thanks

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 9:04am This capability and forthcoming test of Government's ability to contact every mobile in any given locale, quite small up to national, news to me until this morning.
The capability has obviously been built into mobiles for some time, presumably because already operational in some countries/markets.
Surprisingly, it can be turned-off. More surprisingly, HMG has so informed us and told us how.
Mine is now "off".
It's a capability of the phone cell system from 3g (i think) onwards. The alerts don't know which phones they're going to, they're just shoved out on a mast by mast basis.

The options in the phone about what to do with any of these messages is down to the software developers, i.e. mostly Google and Apple.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Now there is a funny thing, given my earlier grouch about euphemisms.
The cybercensor has replaced a word in my last post with "buttock". Would the American version "ass" be accepted? After all, I might be talking about a donkey.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The alerts don't know which phones they're going to, they're just shoved out on a mast by mast basis.
While I don’t understand why people might want to turn them off, depending on exactly what you mean (“knows” isn’t really a word associated with tech), I don’t think that is quite correct.

SFIU, and I’m open to correction, a “send alert” message goes from “HQ” to the cells concerned, and each cell then automatically forwards the alert to every device logged onto the cell. The cell has to “know” which devices to address the alerts to - it’s not like a broadcast radio system, because the data have to be addressed.

a record of which devices were logged onto each cell at the time will exist as long as it is retained, and a record of which devices were addressed, but to what degree the device reports back receipt (almost certainly does to some degree as part of “handshaking’) I don’t know, and whether any info about settings within the device are reported back I have no idea, but suspect none.

Someone more knowledgable maybe able to correct or supplement.

[I’ve now found the ETSI standard for the system, but I’m still struggling to understand exactly how it is implemented at cell level …. Whether it does require addressing, or not, and how the alert area is bounded if it doesn’t.]
Last edited by Nearholmer on 19 Mar 2023, 6:20pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Mobile phone alerts in the United Kingdom":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_ph ... ed_Kingdom

"Cell Broadcast":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Broadcast

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Will I receive this on my smart meter display, they use the mobile network to send and receive data. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A loud siren warning that you are using electricity might not be such a bad idea given how much it costs.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 5:33pm Now there is a funny thing, given my earlier grouch about euphemisms.
The cybercensor has replaced a word in my last post with "buttock". Would the American version "ass" be accepted? After all, I might be talking about a donkey.
If you want to kiss your donkey goodbye when the bomb comes, keep it to yourself!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 1:11pm
reohn2 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 1:06pm How do I turn it off?
That's in the FAQs, second link upthread.
The PDF? Great way to reduce readership. More world-beating cluelessness from gov.uk!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 5:33pm Now there is a funny thing, given my earlier grouch about euphemisms.
Our headmaster was one of those strange folk who think Glasgow is called Glarsgow and grass is called grarss. One of his pet phrases was silly asses, with his pronunciation of ass causing much schoolboy amusement.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

A similar system is in use in Australia to date having been used for bush fires and floods.
I suspect that if Britain was being attacked by nuclear missiles the gummint would propably not send out a general warning as it would not achieve much!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Why do some people want to turn it off?

I can't see it being used very often.

Think of an example; you live quite close to a chemical processing plant, and there was a major leak. It would be good to receive a text to let you know in which direction to head for to avoid the noxious cloud.

I'm quite a luddite, do not really embrace social media (except this forum!) and do not get excited over new tech.

However, I can't understand what is the benefit in turning these alerts off, am I missing something? Is it just to be 'hard'?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

A trip down memory lane for some of us :)