Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by Tangled Metal »

Actually, despite the nearest mast for my network is a block away on our industrial estate the mast my phone always connects to at work is across the river, nearer those chemical plants and warehouses that had fires in. So I'm likely to get the biros restore being further away.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 4:24pm Have you since learnt about it and having learnt about it do you think it is positive system and you might then choose to turn it on out of your own free will?
Now I know about it, I can indeed use my free will, and not have it imposed upon me without my knowledge.
I will consider it, but I doubt I would use it.

I know a chap aged 75 who has just bought a Samsung thingy secondhand.
Until now, he has never held a mobile phone or even operated a computer. Maybe he knows nothing about his device, but I do know he's not the sharpest tool in the box.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I could vaguely see where you were coming from if there were a significant number of said inputs.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Just looking at Notifications on my iPhone Settings.
The Alerts are WAY DOWN at the bottom and you have to scroll down and down and down to find them. Most iPhone users won't even know about it. I certainly didn't until the advent of the is thread.

Yet to discuss this with other iPhone users ............ let alone Mrs Mick F!!! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PPS:
Just checked my very modern MacBookAir. Latest version, and up-to-date software.
Apple - in their wisdom - have attempted to make the Mac software the same/similar to the iPhone software.

Going to Notifications in Settings on here, the Alerts thing isn't listed.

Why a phone, and not a computer?
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

gom wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 1:31pmMost likely to be flooding I think, to which effective response is actually possible.
Such as climbing up the mast that had transmitted the warning?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:20pm PPS:
Just checked my very modern MacBookAir. Latest version, and up-to-date software.
Apple - in their wisdom - have attempted to make the Mac software the same/similar to the iPhone software.

Going to Notifications in Settings on here, the Alerts thing isn't listed.

It's a question of network access and functionality rather than software.

This alert system uses the cellular 'phone network, details upthread.

What network do you think could be used for this purpose with your portable computer?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:07pm ...
I know a chap aged 75 who has just bought a Samsung thingy secondhand.
Until now, he has never held a mobile phone or even operated a computer. Maybe he knows nothing about his device, but I do know he's not the sharpest tool in the box.
Perhaps that's why the service is ON by default...

Jonathan

PS: That secondhand 'phone might be too old for this to work: details upthread.
Last edited by Jdsk on 20 Mar 2023, 5:40pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Because a tablet or a computer isn’t a mobile ‘phone; it isn’t directly in communication with the ‘phone network.

There are a few exceptions where full mobile ‘phone capability is built into a tablet or computer, but generally not. Don’t be fooled by the fact that, if you know how to, you can make ‘phone calls using such a device, that is achieved other than directly via the mobile network.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Nearholmer wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:34pm
Because a tablet or a computer isn’t a mobile ‘phone; it isn’t directly in communication with the ‘phone network.

There are a few exceptions where full mobile ‘phone capability is built into a tablet or computer, but generally not. Don’t be fooled by the fact that, if you know how to, you can make ‘phone calls using such a device, that is achieved other than directly via the mobile network.
Every Android tablet I've had would act as a phone if you inserted a sim card.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pete75 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:45pm
Nearholmer wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:34pm

Every Android tablet I've had would act as a phone if you inserted a sim card.
Neither of the two Android tablets that I've owned would do calls - one has no sim slot at all, and the other has one, but for data only.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

talking of emergency alerts, back in autumn last year I began to pop my iPhone 12 mini in the armrest cubby 'ole in my BMW "mini". It seemed to fit in there rather well what with one thing and another. Then began a minor mystery which was in the form of sundry beeps and squawks and turned out to be the phone sensing a particular sequence of button presses, triggered by my arm resting on the arm rest. The upshot of this button pressing was my phone ringing the emergency services on my behalf...
After I worked out what was happening I felt I ought to contact the service to explain & apologize, which I did and they were good enough to write back thanking me for taking the trouble.
I've got a feeling I've already posted this chucklesome anecdote on this very forum, but I can't quite remember... this is why I need help from my phone. :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:14am I turned mine off because I don't like Big Brother.
But wouldn't you like him to warn you of a nuclear attack ?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I don't see much point... what you supposed to do - rush out and buy 6 months worth of bottled water and Frey Bentos pies? IPCC tell us it's all over anyway!
Now, where's my copy of When The Wind Blows?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 6:22pm I don't see much point... what you supposed to do - rush out and buy 6 months worth of bottled water and Frey Bentos pies?
No, nearest pub, six pints and some peanuts. Or maybe I'm confusing it with another book.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.