Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mattheus

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 5:03pm
simonineaston wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:26pm ...
As an amusing aside, I understand too that the most common prediction for a date of the End of The World is, apparently, 15 years from the present day.
That's only halfway to commercial nuclear fusion!

; - )

Jonathan
That's good news - it means fusion can't lead to the end of the world!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 9:36am The inability to use your phone until you accept the alert is true.
Emergency Alerts will appear on your device and you will hear a loud siren-like sound for up to 10 seconds. It will appear on your device's home screen and you must acknowledge it before you can use other features.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Alerts.pdf
Acknowlege is not accept and I suspect the FAQ is slightly incorrect (and I will be testing it), but even if not, it's no different to several other important notifications. Regular notifications do hide themselves after a few seconds, but even those, I need to swipe sideways (dismiss) or up (hide) if I want to use the features displayed underneath sooner. Important notifications are rarer but remain displayed, including "Unlock to use data or services" when I start the phone up. Why do you feel they're so awful?
Maybe you were only referring to the covid and Hancock bit?
No, the bit about government getting spammer/scammer-like access to your phone when you dismiss the alert is also utter rubbish.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid. I'm objecting to the ONLY information about this alert is what I've read on here. Also objecting STRONGLY about Apple burying the settings for the alerts right down - way down right at the bottom - in Settings/Notifications.

Considering the "seriousness" of the "government" warning idea, the alert setting should either be a separate menu item, or be right near the top.

Note that they are labeled "EMERGENCY ALERTS".
IMG_1725.PNG
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:19pm ...
I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid. I'm objecting to the ONLY information about this alert is what I've read on here.
But it isn't. You've cited the GOV.UK article yourself.

If you mean that you first heard about it here why is that a problem? It's been discussed in multiple media, and if you'll tell us which you follow we can check when and how it appeared in those.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:14am I turned mine off because I don't like Big Brother.
Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:19pm...
I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid.
Then why did you refer to "Big Brother"?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grief! :shock: :shock:

The ONLY place I've read about this is on here.
YOU put the link up and I re-posted it.

I STILL have heard or read ZERO about this other than on here.

Mrs Mick F has told me that some of her friends - and I mean friends - have found info on FaceBook and reposted it.

I will still be leaving my alerts off, and I'll like to see the alarm on the faces of people - like me - who know NOTHING about this.

Yes, I know now, but only because of the thread.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:44pm...
You also quoted from the GOV.UK article, so clearly you had read it.

You seem to be objecting that this forum was the first place that you had heard of it. Where and how would you like to have heard of it? Because otherwise you're complaining that you hadn't heard of it before the first time that you heard of it.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:44pm ...
Mrs Mick F has told me that some of her friends - and I mean friends - have found info on FaceBook and reposted it.
And in this thread reliable sources have been cited. And they're quick, easy and cheap.

Why would she or you use Facebook rather than those?

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Mar 2023, 3:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 12:35am
maximus meridius wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 1:00pm
Mick F wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 9:14am Just had a chat with Mrs Mick F about this alert.
We've both been in and out a lot over the last week, so it was only after breakfast that the subject was raised.

She said that she read about it yesterday not knowing anything about it before.
"Where?", I asked.
"On FaceBook", she replied.
She added that there are lots of people chatting about it on FB and who have turned the alert off. She will be doing the same no doubt.
Yes, my principal source for rational advice and opinions is Facebook.
Yes, from reading about this alert test on facebook, I've discovered:
1. once you get this alert and click to dismiss it, the government have access to your phone, like spammers do when they text you;
2. but you are not able to use your phone after getting this alert until you click to dismiss it;
3. it's connected with covid and Matt Hancock.

Of course, the above is false, but being spread widely on Fake Book.
Full Fact on false claims on Facebook:
https://fullfact.org/online/emergency-phone-alert-gdpr/

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:19pm I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid. I'm objecting to the ONLY information about this alert is what I've read on here.
And gov.uk (which you've posted a link to), and the BBC, and ITV (unless you're avoiding reading stuff on here), and the test is still almost a month away!
Also objecting STRONGLY about Apple burying the settings for the alerts right down - way down right at the bottom - in Settings/Notifications.

Considering the "seriousness" of the "government" warning idea, the alert setting should either be a separate menu item, or be right near the top.
Well, if you will keep buying expensive badly-designed rubbish! The alerts on their own menu in Android 11+, Settings: Apps and Notifications: Wireless emergency alerts. There I can also switch each of Test, AMBER, Severe and Extreme alerts on or off, view the alert history, make the phone vibrate on an alert and/or repeat current alerts once, every 2 minutes, every 15 or never.

I have to wonder about the sort of people who are willing to help Putin's work by damaging our emergency services. Do you think they are paid, or just doing it as true believers of his regime?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Is there anything on Youtube? :-/
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Leave Mick alone we all know he likes to be off grid/below the radar [1]
He can't use live TV as he has no TV licence, and to be fair who would want to catch up on news, it is just verbal doom scrolling (added conspiracy on FalseBook obv.).

[1] The latter makes me giggle as I think rather apt, erm except when he might have been above said radar on the ship clouting it with a manchester spanner.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:44pm Grief! :shock: :shock:

I STILL have heard or read ZERO about this other than on here......
Me too Mick,if you want to switch it off that's your prerogative,you shouldn't need to keep explaining yourself to anyone :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks R2.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 3:44pm Grief! :shock: :shock:

I STILL have heard or read ZERO about this other than on here.

I will still be leaving my alerts off, and I'll like to see the alarm on the faces of people - like me - who know NOTHING about this.

Yes, I know now, but only because of the thread.
I heard about it briefly on TV news ( which you choose not to access) and on Radio 4. It has also been in the newspapers. News of it has been going around but not on channels that you access. So you picked it up, a day or so later than others, on this Forum. And now you want to make sure you don't get disaster alerts that are being offered to you. :lol: I very much understand why you might like being a bit cut off, but the small downside of that is that sometimes you hear of things a bit later than others. I may join you in that. There is too much chatter in modern life.