Rwanda... .....not what you think....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stradageek

Re: Rwanda... .....not what you think....

Post by Stradageek »

francovendee wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 8:44am I may be mistaken but I think many or most African countries have greater corruption in their politics than The UK.
This leads to the riches of the countries being held back from benefiting the poor.
Amongst the biggest problems are:

Exploitation by the West - we'll come and dig up your diamonds and give you a few jobs but we'll take 95% of the profits

High level corruption - aid money gets to people who, even if they want to invest it locally, see they can make much more by sending it abroad where the western money men are happy to gamble with it

The aid industry - why try and set up a local business when an aid agency will give you a Toyota landcruiser and a salary for just driving around looking 'charitable'.

For Rwanda must be added the aftermath of the genocide, neighbourly trust is forever lost yet Suella thinks it a suitable country to ship our asylum seekers :evil: :evil: :evil:
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

reohn2 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:02pm I found the video a breath of fresh air and thought the same as you
And all the bikes seen on the video had North Road handlebars, or similar. One appeared to be Chinese, couldn't be sure.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 13.31.33.png

I know China is building a lot of infrastructure around the world in return for a stake in what it sees as valuable territory, in particular strategic ports such as Piraeus, Djibouti and Haifa. https://www.voanews.com/a/6224958.html The Chinese overtook the US as the single largest investor in Africa in 2013, https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/africaatlse/202 ... nvestment/

But we should celebrate this video for human ingenuity in the face of hardship, of how technology can be used for the better good. It's clear their motors' quiet operation alone shows the world how these things should be done. https://www.flyzipline.com/
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:50pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 4:31pm
pete75 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 9:21am
Not around here they wouldn't be - there are no hospitals.
Probably no drones neither then. Have fun with your 12 bore! 😆
There are actually. A friend shot one down over his farm. He reckons not very good sport though, easier than driven pheasants.
Oh then you will have fun with your 12 bore. Assuming you are the requisite distance from roads or your land boundary which I believe applies to shooting. Different for airguns and real guns.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That earthshot award was interesting in that a lot of the innovators in with a chance came from countries closer to a developing nation status than us western, "developed " nations. Also from countries that are being badly effected by global warming already
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Biopace
Yes most bikes being ridden in Africa are either Chinese or Indian,not forgetting UK some RM postie bikes and charitable donated bikes from the back of people's garages no longer in use.

China has been buying it's way into in many African countries for some while, it's not only Africa it's money has a lot sway in the UK too.
It's learned a lot from the US on that score
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 4:34pm
pete75 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 5:50pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 4:31pm

Probably no drones neither then. Have fun with your 12 bore! 😆
There are actually. A friend shot one down over his farm. He reckons not very good sport though, easier than driven pheasants.
Oh then you will have fun with your 12 bore. Assuming you are the requisite distance from roads or your land boundary which I believe applies to shooting. Different for airguns and real guns.
Here's what the regulations say

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to
discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of
or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is
injured, interrupted or endangered. [Section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as
amended]. It is important to remember that the discharge of a firearm is not
prohibited in itself. It must also be proved that there was an injury, or that
someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to
make a detour.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thread drift happens but sheesh this is getting out there with the fairies :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden