Introduction from USA

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jesper

Introduction from USA

Post by Jesper »

Hello from Florida!
I am an older cyclist with over 4 decades of riding, and a couple decades of repairing and rebuilding as a side hobby and sometimes business. I primarily ride and rebuild Italian racing bikes since that is what I grew up with. 1st bike was a Peugeot touring bike, then Colnago through the 80s with many Italian marques to follow.
In the past 10 years I have gotten slower with age and have taken to riding old Raleigh (et al.) roadsters ranging from the circa 1940 through the 70s; also, Hercules ('54?). I still ride racing bikes though, and have an early Raleigh Pro ('72?) and Raleigh Gran Sport (78?), as well as other bikes built with various Reynolds tubesets.
Most of my interest in the forum will be related to seeking technical advice (internally geared hubs for one), and for identification/history purposes. I doubt that I will be able to provide much knowledge except on Italian bikes and some unique continental marques that I have which seem to be obscure even to the natives, though I am sure that this site will be able to provide further insight for much of what I ride and work on regardless of the country of origin. Thank you for any help that can be provided.

Take care,
Jesper

PS. I can also be found on The CABE website where I regularly post my finds, my questions, and what little knowledge I have.
Jdsk

Re: Introduction from USA

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Jonathan
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 6:45pm Welcome

Jonathan
Thank you! Already getting some advice from members.
Take care,
Jesper
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Hi, if not already signed on, retrobike uk forum has a reasonably active road bike section. Good for Raleigh stuff in particular!
Welcome.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Hiya its great to hear from people all over the world on this forum.Please note older people are NOT that much slower.They need to factor in warm up time of at least 20 mins.Unless your one of the elite cycling is for FUN not for speed.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hi Jesper, once did a 'take the Mickey out of Fla tour' ie didnt go anywhere near Orlando. Very interesting place. Didnt see a hill!

Whereabouts are you?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

briansnail wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 3:20pm Hiya its great to hear from people all over the world on this forum.Please note older people are NOT that much slower.They need to factor in warm up time of at least 20 mins.Unless your one of the elite cycling is for FUN not for speed.
I reference my speed directly to myself. I know I am faster than many half my age, but slower than many with a decade or more years above my age. My goal had always been to maintain 20 mph and above for riding a racing bike for at least an hour ride, but I no longer maintain that pace; although I can still time trial at 25mph for 15mi or less.
I ride the 50 pounders to keep me relaxed, but 15 mph is not an uncommon speed for me on flat rides with Raleigh and Hercules roadsters.
I think my main issue is wanting to cover more ground than I can right now since my work commute is nearly 40 miles one way and being on the road for up to 5.5 hours round trip makes for a long day (plus the commute is downright boring without scenery).
Take care,
Jesper
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

al_yrpal wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 4:44pm Hi Jesper, once did a 'take the Mickey out of Fla tour' ie didnt go anywhere near Orlando. Very interesting place. Didnt see a hill!

Whereabouts are you?

Al
Hi Al,
I am about 140mi due north of Orlando. You are correct, the only hills in Florida are roadway overpasses and bridges. There is Sugarloaf Mountain and Mount Dora. Did you not see them? I jest; they are called a mountains, but at 310ft and 185ft elevations I find it amusing. Florida's higjest point, Britton Hill (not a mountain?), is 345ft elevation. Where I live there are some hills, but mostly light undulating roadways. Highest elevation within 10 miles of me is at 200ft and I live at 150ft so not much of a climb.
I live part time in Massachusetts near a real mountain (Mt. Wachusett, elev. approx. 2005ft) albeit small, but my legs burn when riding in that vicinity since 100-200 ft climbs are frequently every mile. One hill a mile away from my house is nearly 1200ft elevation; I'll do 1000-2000ft of climbing on rides of 10-15mi just to train the body back into that type of terrain due to Florida making me soft. I rate Florida as one of the most boring cycling locations in the world; I've cycled about 15 US States, Carribean Islands, Southern Europe, Middle East and all have been exciting adventures except Floida (aside from the alligators in the road!).
Take care,
Jesper
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My uncle married a Florida girl just after WW2 after they met in East Africa. He was in the RAF and she in the USA embassy in Nairobi. She was well-connected, knowing Elenor Roosevelt personally.

Her father was a moonshine runner during prohibition, and he put blocks on the pedals of her car so she could reach them so she could get to school and back up the dirt tracks. She was only 10 or 11 back then! :D

She and my uncle lived for many years in West Palm Beach. I visited them a couple of times over the years, latterly when my ship docked in Canaveral and I hired a car to drive there to see them.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jesper, we have a family property we can use right on the shore at Indian Shores. I found it too hot in September. Taking the Micky we came and went via Miami and highlights were the Everglades, Edison Ford, Dali gallery Tampa, Canaveral as well as places like Sanibel and Naples. Crossing the interior it didnt look very wealthy.
I have some pals up in Maine north of Portland that I may visit this year. Love the US..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

@al_yrpal @Mick F

Thanks for the stories! I have never been to the UK. My first car was a '73 XJ6 which I loved to drive. All my friends thought I was nuts; they drove American muscle cars, but none matched the class, ride, and handling of that car (still have it for parts!). I now have a '67 "S-type" that I am restoring; and regularly drive the newer Mini Cooper. I would love to have a classic Mini, but not many to be found here.

The Dali museum is definitely a highlight that I recomnend to anyone into art.
I am not a big fan of Florida in general because of the heat and lack of diverse topography. Luckily, north FL is a little cooler and has a more pleasing terrain for my tastes regarding hiking and cycling. I am presently trying to move back to New England permanently where I have property.
Take care,
Jesper
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Hi Jesper, welcome to the monkey house. I used to travel back & forth to California and occasionally to Colorado on business. Loved it, especially one 6-week stay in Sunnyvale to get a project going. Wish I'd thought of buying a bike and selling it again later but I didn't get into serious cycling until the 90's.

If it's tech stuff you're after this forum is great. I joined when I was building a Surly LHT 12 years ago and the help was wonderful.

Have fun,

John
Have we got time for another cuppa?
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Do you eat cakes and biscuits? I should explain when I refrain and eat healthy veg I come last in my cycling club.When I gorge on this super fuel ie cakes and biscuits I do much much better.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Audax67 wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 8:23am Hi Jesper, welcome to the monkey house. I used to travel back & forth to California and occasionally to Colorado on business. Loved it, especially one 6-week stay in Sunnyvale to get a project going. Wish I'd thought of buying a bike and selling it again later but I didn't get into serious cycling until the 90's.

If it's tech stuff you're after this forum is great. I joined when I was building a Surly LHT 12 years ago and the help was wonderful.

Have fun,

John
Thank you John!
Take care,
Jesper
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

briansnail wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 2:55pm Do you eat cakes and biscuits? I should explain when I refrain and eat healthy veg I come last in my cycling club.When I gorge on this super fuel ie cakes and biscuits I do much much better.
I try to eat a fairly balanced diet, but a night before a long ride I enjoy a healthy plate of pasta. For shorter and faster rides I tend not to eat much at all since I want to be bit lighter, but always well hydrated. Just before a ride I often have some honey (tablespoon or so), banana, and/or a half pint of beer ( a pint afterwards!).
I do not ride with a club so I really do not know how much my speed is affected by food except when I do personal time trials (no resting, all out effort, at times with a pace vehicle) when I am actually measuring my average speed. Starting to get a bit too old for those types of rides since the heat and humidity in Florida is what wipes me out. I occasionally ride with a friend, but he is 5 years older (smokes cigars) so my rides with him are only an hour long at about 10mph so food intake is never a factor (water still is though).
Take care,
Jesper