Cyclist stopped 3 times by police

Bonefishblues

Re: Cyclist stopped 3 times by police

Post by Bonefishblues »

The most frightened I have even been in a car was in properly thick fog with perhaps 20M visibility that I came upon between two M40 Junctions. I knew I could stop, but my fear was someone who wasn't able to behind me. I couldn't pull over onto the hard shoulder for the same reason so I had to carry on in abject terror.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mattheus wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:48am But even if they DID see the cyclist as "the problem", that doesn't mean they've commited any offence - as stated by your fellow moderator.
Note the difference between
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am they were committing an offence.
and
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am If their statements that they nearly hit him are accepted at face value, then by definition they were committing an offence.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bonefishblues wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:57am The most frightened I have even been in a car was in properly thick fog with perhaps 20M visibility that I came upon between two M40 Junctions. I knew I could stop, but my fear was someone who wasn't able to behind me. I couldn't pull over onto the hard shoulder for the same reason so I had to carry on in abject terror.
A nasty situation to find yourself in. There have been some fatal, multicar crashes in such conditions. I remember one on a Thames bridge.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:19pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:57am The most frightened I have even been in a car was in properly thick fog with perhaps 20M visibility that I came upon between two M40 Junctions. I knew I could stop, but my fear was someone who wasn't able to behind me. I couldn't pull over onto the hard shoulder for the same reason so I had to carry on in abject terror.
A nasty situation to find yourself in. There have been some fatal, multicar crashes in such conditions. I remember one on a Thames bridge.

They close the mountain road on the island when things get too dangerous like a few weeks ago in the snow and ice but I think it maybe safer to close it in thick fog cos the stupid are everywhere.
I am here. Where are you?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:58pm
They close the mountain road on the island when things get too dangerous like a few weeks ago in the snow and ice but I think it maybe safer to close it in thick fog cos the stupid are everywhere.
It might have been better to close the road to motors than try to close it to a cyclist. I would bet that he was cycling at a such a speed that he could stop within the distance he could see to be clear.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:04pm
mattheus wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:48am But even if they DID see the cyclist as "the problem", that doesn't mean they've commited any offence - as stated by your fellow moderator.
Note the difference between
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am they were committing an offence.
and
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am If their statements that they nearly hit him are accepted at face value, then by definition they were committing an offence.
Yes, I can read words and tell them apart from one another.

What is your point?
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 1:07pm
It might have been better to close the road to motors than try to close it to a cyclist. I would bet that he was cycling at a such a speed that he could stop within the distance he could see to be clear.
As, presumably, were the drivers - we've been told by the OP that, despite several near-misses, there is no evidence that they were driving too fast for the conditions.

Or something ...
slowster

Post by slowster »

My point is that this statement:
misrepresents what I actually posted:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Here you go:
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am Those drivers did not 'nearly hit him due to the adverse weather conditions', they nearly hit him because they were not driving appropriately to the conditions.
Now, if you choose to post sufficient characters that some end up contradicting others, that's not my concern.
People are free to post as they see fit - especially our esteemed Moderators! - but I feel this thread is encumbered by too many posts taking extreme positions.
One of those is to state the drivers were commiting offences, so I've challenged that. To avoid this, just don't post such extreme statements. [EDIT:] here's an example of a sensible, moderate comment:
Vorpal wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:34am It's possible, even likely, that in some cases, the drivers embellished their accounts in order to prompt the police to do something.
HTH.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 12:19pm

Agreed. Best route to safety is prevention at source, as it were.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mattheus wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 2:29pm Now, if you choose to post sufficient characters that some end up contradicting others, that's not my concern.
Please explain how those statements are contradictory.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 1:07pm
Going up yes but coming down -- needs good brakes or he could need wings.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mattheus wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 2:29pm Here you go:
slowster wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:59am Those drivers did not 'nearly hit him due to the adverse weather conditions', they nearly hit him because they were not driving appropriately to the conditions.
Now, if you choose to post sufficient characters that some end up contradicting others, that's not my concern.
People are free to post as they see fit - especially our esteemed Moderators! - but I feel this thread is encumbered by too many posts taking extreme positions.
One of those is to state the drivers were commiting offences, so I've challenged that. To avoid this, just don't post such extreme statements. [EDIT:] here's an example of a sensible, moderate comment:
Vorpal wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:34am It's possible, even likely, that in some cases, the drivers embellished their accounts in order to prompt the police to do something.
HTH.
I don't see why both can't be true. I won't, however, say that they definitely were committing offences. But I think it quite likely that some were. I also think at the very least, the police should have challenged that, rather than the person who presented the least threat to others.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:49am
When I wrestled a hired three speed up there I could not see the six kingdoms for Manannan's cloak, but got back down to Ramsey safely. I cannot remember feeling menaced.

P.S. Actually, on the summit of Snaefell I could see a few yards of the Kingdom of Man.
I could see 7 kingdoms last August

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 3:55pm
mattheus wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 2:29pm Here you go:
HTH.
I don't see why both can't be true. I won't, however, say that they definitely were committing offences. But I think it quite likely that some were. I also think at the very least, the police should have challenged that, rather than the person who presented the least threat to others.
The best person to ask might be the cyclist? As far as I know he had no complaints about the car drivers, just the well meaning sensible Manx constabulary. They'll go out of their way to help visitors from my personal experience.