CyclingUK Incident Hotline usefulness

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
guitarmanjon

CyclingUK Incident Hotline usefulness

Post by guitarmanjon »

Hello

A couple of weeks ago I was knocked off my bike by a car that failed to stop. Thankfully, I'm alright and my bike is relatively undamaged (couple of srapes on a pannier bag, one of my bar mitts and e-assist battery pack). I suffered some cuts on my knee and bruising, but nothing that didn't recover in a couple of days and there doesn't seem to be any long-term implications (yet). My trousers have a hole in the knee now. But otherwise, no problem.

When I called the CyclingUK Incident line, I perhaps didn't appreciate that what this means is "hotline to a personal injury claim law firm". Other than taking some details from me for a callback, the initial person I spoke to wasn't exactly helpful. And then the person who did call me back lost interest when I said I hadn't suffered any serious injury or damage to my bike.

Cycle-SOS (Fletchers Group) have since sent me a small claims pack that informs me of what I am eligible to claim for under a small claims, but there is little guidance on how to make a small claim, so I am none-the-wiser as to what use the Incident line is to me at this point. Even if I did want to put in a small claim, it seems that I need the defendant's details, which I don't have as they didn't stop :?

So, does CyclingUK have any useful advice on what to do in such situations, or is it just to call the hotline and pretend you've been injured more than you have?

Thankfully I caught the incident on camera and the matter of the driver knocking me off and not stopping is with the police.

jon
richardfm

Re: CyclingUK Incident Hotline usefulness

Post by richardfm »

I'm not sure what you expected from the incident line.
When the police have passed on the driver's details, assuming they do, then making a claim is straightforward, a quick internet search will provide the procedure.
Richard M
Cardiff
guitarmanjon

Post by guitarmanjon »

I'm not sure what I expected either to be honest!
gaz

Post by gaz »

guitarmanjon wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 1:42pmWhen I called the CyclingUK Incident line, I perhaps didn't appreciate that what this means is "hotline to a personal injury claim law firm".
It's been that way for more years than I care to remember, with the occasional change of law firm. There is a small bit of added small-print which is where the member benefit lies versus simply picking up the phone to an injury claim law firm.
Our legal partner Cycle SOS does not charge a success fee, so members keep 100% of any compensation.
guitarmanjon wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 1:42pmSo, does CyclingUK have any useful advice on what to do in such situations, or is it just to call the hotline and pretend you've been injured more than you have?
There is some very general advice but your own experience that the interest shown by injury claim law firms is in direct proportion to the injuries sustained matches that reported previously by others.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

I don't think that CyclingUK is what you need here, just claim from the other driver's insurance (assuming that they have any)
Details from police, incident number, etc will also be needed
Keep everything, including photos of the scene layout that isn't apparent on video, a diary of bumps and bruises, etc

In the event that the driver wasn't insured https://www.mib.org.uk/

Hope it goes well
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
joeegg

Post by joeegg »

I used the incident hotline recently and got the advice pack sent through. Because i didn't have any serious injuries then it wasn't passed on to the solicitors.
What does slightly concern me is that the cycling club i am in pushes towards affiliate membership of Cycling UK for the third party insurance. However some people in the club believe they have insurance that in the event of a no fault accident the insurers would act on their behalf.
I cancelled a previous insurer due to the clubs stance on Cycling UK membership when for the same yearly fee i had more cover. I know people in the club have used other insurers despite the clubs bias towards Cycling UK.
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

guitarmanjon wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 1:42pm :?

So, does CyclingUK have any useful advice on what to do in such situations, or is it just to call the hotline and pretend you've been injured more than you have?

jon
Hmm.

When my car was hit by another car, the other driver accepting full responsibility, my insurance took care of everything,. I thought that the cycling UK insurers would do likewise if I am ever in an accident.

Any suggestions on who to insure with?
PH

Post by PH »

jrs665 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 7:08pm I thought that the cycling UK insurers would do likewise if I am ever in an accident.

Any suggestions on who to insure with?
I think you've misunderstood, the only insurance that Cycling UK provide to members is third party liability, that is if someone has a claim against you.
In the event of you having a claim against someone else, if it meets the threshold to be able to instigate a conditional fee agreement (No Win, No Fee) they have an arrangement where full members don't have to pay the success fee, this can save you a lot of money, up to 25% of your compensation.
If your claim doesn't meet that threshold, there isn't a lot that can be done for you, you have to do it yourself, I've made such a claim without a solicitor and found the info pack from the then CTC to be helpful in doing so. That was fifteen years ago and I haven't seen a more recent information pack.
If you wish to have the sort of policy comparable with fully comprehensive car insurance, for most bikes the TSB's Pick and Protect is good value, but you need to read the policy to ensure it covers those things you're looking for. I have this policy and for an accident which was my fault, it was simple to claim the cost of the damage.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Did you get the details of the vehicle that hit you? If not you can put a claim in yourself through the MIB.