Rohloff hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brumster

Re: Rohloff hub

Post by brumster »

cycle tramp wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:23pm ...rolhoff do advise that once the wheel has been built, to keep with the same spoke pattern and rim size.... it may be worth asking rolhoff if they could fit the same internals into a new hub shell..
Or you could just save your money and wait and see whether you get a flange fail? I'd probably take the risk, fit the flange support rings and lace the wheel 1x cross.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

Indeed, both of our Terns, with their 20” wheels, are laced 1x, as was the black Rohloff when in the Brompton.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

if anyone should like an Excel spreadsheet to calculate gear ratios for the Rohloff (and Alfine 11) I have one. An example screenshot is in this post from last year viewtopic.php?p=1718647#p1718647. Please feel free to send me a personal message if you should like a copy.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'd have loved to have tried a Rohloff hub on one of my serial 20" Moulton jobbies, but have never really been able to justify the cost, given that they don't come up on the second-hand market (my default) very often. However, for the time being, I'm chuffed with the Al-Fee-Nay now I've got the somewhat pernickety cable adjustment dialled in. Not quite the overall range but plenty enough for me.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
crossy

Post by crossy »

Well that idea has been shelved for a bit. I was watching a Thorn Raven on eBay. I offered £800 at the weekend that was refused. Giving me a cooling off period to think about it. It went for £740 in the end. I’ve given my Alfine 11 an oil change so will keep that, it is in a Bike Friday lovely bike.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

531colin wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 5:18pm
Keezx wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:19pm IMO the only potential problem when building a hub in another rim is the nipples will likely not be correctly aligned in the spoke holes in the.rim...especially in small rims like 20"
So rim holes must be machined with a matching drill, otherwise you will encounter spoke breakage...
this has come up often enough before, most recently I think here..viewtopic.php?p=1756555#p1756555

....So, same question.....
....is spoke fatigue where the nipple forms an unfortunate angle with the rim a real world problem?
I don't ever remember seeing fatigue at the rim end, where the spoke enters the nipple, but its common enough at the elbow bend at the hub end.
Well, i expierienced some frequent spoke breakage (likely fatigue) on certain folding bikes where the cause was 100% sure the bended spoke just outside the nipples....
jb

Post by jb »

Probably wants de-stressing same as it does for the elbow end. There's no reason for a bend at the nipple end to be any more prone to failure than the bend at the hub end.
Cheers
J Bro