Carry On Camping ? novelty request

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
TimeTraveller

Carry On Camping ? novelty request

Post by TimeTraveller »

I was having a discusion with one of my riding partners regarding a 60s Movie carry on camping, mainly about the cycle tourist on the tandem.
We were trying to discover what the outfit both Terry Scott ( Mr potter) and Betty Marsden (Mrs Potter). Now we both think these are old surplus outfits that have often been used back in the day, these looked like ex military desert suits ( shorts and short sleved Jackets in a Sand/ Khaki) .

Anyone any ideas... just looking for info as a conversational piece :)

If I'm in the wrong spot here can you send this post to where it belongs..

:) Pete :D :D
Pete... I think
Nearholmer

Re: Carry On Camping ? novelty request

Post by Nearholmer »

Aren’t they “Safari suits”, a sort of briefly fashionable leisurewear?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_jacket
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Talking of Safaris, early in the '60s so nearly a decade before Carry On Camping, a cycling journalist named Brian Walker and his missus took a pair of pre-production Moulton Safari bikes on a camping trip to Iceland. The aim was part holiday, part bike test, part inspiration for his work as a journalist. I've never been able to find a complete copy of the resulting notes and Brian's accompanying illustrations, however they do pop up occasionally online (see below). They have something of Herge's Adventures of TinTin about them. I'm impressed / appalled by what appear to be the shortest of shorts worn by Brian's wife, in the middle of what looks like - shall we say - inclement weather... On the plus side, we see in the next illustration that she does appear to have packed a sensible and cosy pair of flannelette pjs.
pencil sketches from the early '60s
pencil sketches from the early '60s
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

this must surely win the all time prize for thread-drift - in record time :)
Sweep
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

TimeTraveller wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 10:38pm I was having a discusion with one of my riding partners regarding a 60s Movie carry on camping, mainly about the cycle tourist on the tandem.
We were trying to discover what the outfit both Terry Scott ( Mr potter) and Betty Marsden (Mrs Potter). Now we both think these are old surplus outfits that have often been used back in the day, these looked like ex military desert suits ( shorts and short sleved Jackets in a Sand/ Khaki) .

Anyone any ideas... just looking for info as a conversational piece :)

If I'm in the wrong spot here can you send this post to where it belongs..

:) Pete :D :D
They were normal everyday wear in South Africa.
I remember a recently arrived acquantance who was refused entry to a bar despite wearing a jacket, shirt and long trousers as he wasn't wearing a tie. He pointed out that there others - tieless and wearing shorts and was informed that the gentlemen in question were wearing safari suits.