Repairing cut on outer tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Highkicker79

Repairing cut on outer tyre

Post by Highkicker79 »

I've got a set of Schwalbe Range Cruiser that came as standard on my commuter cycle. I've used them for around 700 miles on the road and exclusively use the cycle for commuting. I recently suffered a puncture for the first time whilst on the way to work which was not ideal.

The general condition of the outer tyres are pretty good with lots of tread but looks like there is a clean cut slash on the contact surface of the tyre which goes all the way through to the inner tube. I've highlighted it in this photo:
Tyre.jpg
The puncture was caused by a very small thorn that made it's way to the inner tube via the slash.

The cleanness of the cut does make me wonder whether it was malicious but the cut did not go through to the inner tube so perhaps this was not the case. The puncture was definitely caused by the small thorn that entered via the slash.

With that aside, is it worth gluing the slash on the outer tyre together given the rest of the tyres seems to be in really good shape with lots of tread or is it better to replace the tyres for new ones. If I replace with new ones then I would definitely get Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres for the increased puncture resistance but those tyres are not cheap.

Anyway, if it is glue-able, then what kind of glue should I use? Or should I use the normal glue you use for inner tube repairs?
Jdsk

Re: Repairing cut on outer tyre

Post by Jdsk »

Recent discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=153898

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

The best "glue" will be the vulcanising solution you use for inner tube repairs. It is intended for bonding rubber to rubber, which is what you want to do. You probably already have some. But you might have difficulty pulling the cut together to make good contact. So if you have a razor sharp blade around, you could try cutting a slither from a discarded old tyre (if you have one) and force it into the cut using a pin, with some vulcanising solution. It won't have to be perfect because it isn't to hold the air in. It is just a shield against thorns and other debris.

Home-made repairs like this are fine for the tread, but not for the sidewalls. Sidewall failure can end very badly.

If this doesn't work it will have cost you about 15p and twenty minutes of your time.
Last edited by pwa on 26 Mar 2023, 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I’ve used superglue. Quick, effective.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Might be worth putting a section of old tyre underneath where the cut is to give it some support after glueing.
I would suggest it goes in the back of the bike in case it does fail .
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

As KM2 suggests.
I have used superglue in small cuts as well.
Blow tyre up to open the cut. Superglue in the cut. Let tyre down which should close the cut. Wait for glue to set. (preferably few hours) Blow up tyre and check.
This all depends on what the tyre is made from as superglue won't stick some varieties of plastics.

I wouldn't use a bit of old tyre as this may cause a bump in the carcass and strain the cut even more.
I would though use a piece of inner tube or one of the tyre patches sometimes included in repair kits.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I have to admit to using duck tape, on the inside of a sidewall, at the moment, as l’m waiting for a new tyre. It’s a front as well, not recommended. But needs must, lower pressure slightly, and be observant.
Sometimes we worry too much.
jb

Post by jb »

If I get a nasty slash on the front I might treat it as above with vulcanising solution and then transfer it to the back wheel . Here a failure is less dangerous and also it will wear out quicker. If you already have a decent tyre on the back it can go in the queue or put the back tyre on the front if it's in good nick. Although the squarish profile of a used back tyre can be off-putting when viewed over the handlebars.
Cheers
J Bro
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Best to bin this but if you must retain ,line the inside with a denim offcut or a leather patch-it will minimise risk of hernia like bulge.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If it was mine, I would patch with a large piece of canvas, along the tyre, not the sidewall, seal with super glue and accept a small change in shape of the tyre. After all, a patch on an inner tube changes the shape of the tube and not many people refuse to use a patched inner..
There’s too much tread on it to discard.
Use on the back.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Another user of superglue , if im patching the tyre i tend to use a puncture repair patch on the inside of the tyre .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Superglue than use it on the back
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Boot it using a piece cut from an old tyre, and plug the slit with Shoe Goo.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Over the years I have had lots of cuts like that on tyres with a thick tread, like that one, and I have never binnned a tyre because of it. I have either just ignored the cut and taken a chance that a thorn wouldn't find that weak spot, which tends to hold true. Or I have plugged the gap with a slither of rubber forced in with a bit of vulcanising solution. The difference in this case is that the cut has pierced the threads beneath the tread. Assuming that is just a nick, I'd try a patch from inside as others have suggested. And then not worry about it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

pwa wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 9:20am Over the years I have had lots of cuts like that on tyres with a thick tread, like that one, and I have never binnned a tyre because of it. I have either just ignored the cut and taken a chance that a thorn wouldn't find that weak spot, which tends to hold true. Or I have plugged the gap with a slither of rubber forced in with a bit of vulcanising solution. The difference in this case is that the cut has pierced the threads beneath the tread. Assuming that is just a nick, I'd try a patch from inside as others have suggested. And then not worry about it.
+1. I have lots of tyres with cuts like that, usually where a thorn has gone in and then been extracted. Unless there is significant damage to the inside I really wouldn't worry.