What tent to get?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PT1029

What tent to get?

Post by PT1029 »

I am thinking of replacing my Saunders Space packer plus, I'll need to put the fly up in heavy rain at some point to check it out. If I decide the Saunders is to go, I'll advertise it here, no doubt someone will want it.

Choice for a new tent will be something similar ish, namely:-
  • 1 - 2 person for solo use (we have a Hillliberg for 2 person camping).
  • Single pole (or as near as). In the space packer, pole fitted plus 2 pegs and you can keep your kit out of the rain while finishing off the pitching.
  • Vestibule space for panniers.
  • Pitch outer first. Having the inner/outer hooked to gether is a near must
  • Option of a footprint under sheet.
  • Something of a decent quality.
  • 2 doors would be nice to have - handy if the wind direction changes.
  • Someting I can sit upright in.
What I'd rather not have: -
  • Tunnel tent (tends to need meticulous pitching to eliminate condensation drip from the between poles part of the roof).
  • Vertical(ish) ends at head/feet ends. At 1.8m tall (me, not the tent), the Space packer plus was always a close encounter between face and roof, tolerated due to other benefits of the tent
  • Fairly upright(ish) door zips - its a long reach to open the fly sheet zip in the space packer due to the sloping profile.
Does anyone have any comments/additional suggestions to the following? Looking on the web,
  • Front runner is a Hilliberg Akto (or Enan). Sort of 1 pole, even if it is 5, but I assume putting the corner poles in is a quite quick/easy. 93cm inner tent height should be alright. + light weight, ok vestibule, ok inner tent height, very well made, less food miles (made in Estonia unless things have changed). - only 1 entry door
Also some similar designs by other makes; -
  • Terra Nova Laser 1 or 2 person tent. + Good inner tent height. - small vestibule
  • Vango Cairngorm 200 + 2 doors, higher inner tent height 95cm. - vestibule is far too small.
  • Wild Country Zephyros 1 - 2 person tent. _ Vestubule too small. Inner tent height a bit lower 92cm.
  • Fjallraven Abisko 1 + fair vestibule space, - lower inner tent height 90cm.
Outlier,
Fjllraven Abisko 2. Ticks most boxes, but is 1kg or more than most of the above and it is 2 pole.

Colour of a choice.
Our camping for 2 Hilliberg is red. The number 2 suffers from depression, the colour inside the green space packer plus got her down. The yellow inner plus red outed of the Hilliberg is wonderful, there is some interference between the red and yellow, so you get the odd bit of blue tinge, like camping in a stained glass window!
However, I am more sombre, so green or brown/desert sand? Any prefence re heat in the sun, colour, UV resistance? Desert sand might be a bit lighter inside?
Pendodave

Re: What tent to get?

Post by Pendodave »

Tarptent scarp might be worth a look.
Needs to be imported new, but can probably be picked up 2nd hand with a little patience.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Check out trekkertent. Made in Scotland, I have the stealth 1.5 and it's great for one, but they do bigger sizes.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks for replies. Both companies are new to me.
The Tarptent Stratospire 1 looks interesting despite my hope for 1 pole. Some other models look interesting too. A long way to order something unseen before purchase.

Trekkertent Drift 2 also looks interesting despite the 2 poles, thought their link to Bear Bones Trekking does not list poles for this tent. Some user comments about a bit saggy re the innertent panels though. The Phreeranger 2 looks interesting as well, though I'm not keen on the concept of cross/sideways roof poles that jut out sideways, even if they do increaseusable space.

Yes you can call me picky. The chap that built my new bike frame referred to me (in the best possible way) as "an unusually particular" customer, I have to say I was driving myself round the bend a bit during the whole process. Sometimes it is best not to over think things!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My only comment re the Hilly Enan, which I understand is the yellow vs. of the Akto, is that when I made a move from the red Nallo to the yellow Anjan, I found the inevitable compromises resulting from much lighter materials slightly annoying. For example, the outer is cut higher to allow for some adjustment with respect to which side is protected more. All very useful I'm sure but after the simple dependability & built-in weather proofness of the Nallo, I just found the extra adjustment available on the Anjan a bit of a faff. It may be that the the Enan "enjoys" similar versatility which you might find annoying... or you may appreciate it!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The Akto is effectively a one pole tent - the corner poles on the Akto are a near permanent part of the outer. You can apparently get them out, but I haven't tried to in the 17 years or so I've owned one.
Most of the Akto imitations I've looked at (Terra Nova Laser, Vaude Power Lizard etc) allocate more of the available space to the inner, and consequently have a smaller porch area. The Akto is the only one I've come across that I'd be happy to cook in at the same time as keeping the panniers inside. The disadvantage is that squeezing a second person in is basically not possible.

When keeping tabs on what's available, in a spirit of "if the Akto gets stolen/trashed", the only tent that's tempted me has been the Tarptent Scarp. I have found Tarptent tents available on some German sites in the past, as an alternative to DIY importing from the US
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Single pole tents of the Akto type don't suit everyone but for me they offer the best compromise with regard to space to weight ratio

You already own a Hilleberg so you'll need no convincing on build quality and attention to detail and if you're happy to spend that sort of money I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Atko. Price wise it's also worth mentioning that Hillebergs retain good secondhand value, should you ever decide to sell. The Akto is not the lightest tent of its kind but it's certainly one of the toughest. If you want something lighter go for the 3 season Enan or one of the other options that you've identified. I've no personal experience of your other choices although a friend is very satisfied with his Vango Cairngorm. It's a lot of tent for the money, but nowhere near as durable as the Hilleberg, but then you could probably buy four of them for the price of the Akto. One tent I did consider at the time I bought my Akto was the Force 10 Helium fom Vango. Force 10 are Vango's premium range but are still competitively priced. Last spring in Oxfordshire I pitched alongside a chap who was walking the Oxford Canal and had a Force 10 Helium 1 UL (1man version) It looked to be a very nice tent but I noticed that the porch was nowhere as large as the Akto. The 2 man version (Force 10 2 UL) has more room although the porch is not significantly larger, it does however have the advantage of two entrances.

One left field suggestion would be one of the new breed of inflatable lightweight tents. Vango's Force 10 Hydrogen is getting on for Akto prices but Alpkit have a couple of more affordable alternatives. I'm just waiting for some user feedback from those that have tried them.
BritishEagle

Post by BritishEagle »

We’ve used various Hilleberg tunnel tents for the last 20 years and spent the last two choosing a new tent for summer touring for three of us. We were very tempted by the Wickiup et al but finally went against all our experience with the Big Agnes UL4 and are very happy with it:
Pitch inner first: surprisingly not so bad in the rain as it is quick. Also, you can pitch outer first if you use the extra floor.
Two doors are a real treat. Panniers and exit in one and cooking/exit in the other.
The inner room is vast. We can sleep any direction to suit the slope and the headroom is luxurious. A lovely, light space to spend time in in the rain.
Build quality is very good. The only con is that the tent sways in strong winds because of its height.. We have bought two collapsible tarp poles to guy it out in the wind or for an extra DL tarp sunshade. Even with all this it’s about 3kg, an excellent 3 season tent so check out the UL3 for 1-2 people.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

BritishEagle wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 4:01pm We’ve used various Hilleberg tunnel tents for the last 20 years and spent the last two choosing a new tent for summer touring for three of us. We were very tempted by the Wickiup et al but finally went against all our experience with the Big Agnes UL4 and are very happy with it:
Pitch inner first: surprisingly not so bad in the rain as it is quick. Also, you can pitch outer first if you use the extra floor.
Two doors are a real treat. Panniers and exit in one and cooking/exit in the other.
The inner room is vast. We can sleep any direction to suit the slope and the headroom is luxurious. A lovely, light space to spend time in in the rain.
Build quality is very good. The only con is that the tent sways in strong winds because of its height.. We have bought two collapsible tarp poles to guy it out in the wind or for an extra DL tarp sunshade. Even with all this it’s about 3kg, an excellent 3 season tent so check out the UL3 for 1-2 people.
Not sure which Big Agnes tent this is but…

We bought a Copper Spur UL3 backpacking for two of us. Love it.Loads of headroom and living room. Good storage inside as well. Weighs less than 2kg with footprint and extra guys, pegs. If you are mostly going to be on your own I’d go for the two man. There will be plenty of room for the occasional extra. Two entrances and weighs about a kilo. I’m not bothered about the innerfirst. As said it is vey quick so…
BritishEagle

Post by BritishEagle »

It’s the 4 man version of your Copper Spur UL3.
If you’re worried about porch size, it’s easy to unclip the inner slightly to make the porch bigger for cooking.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I ended up getting a new tent, so new bike and new tent, mid life crisis averted!
I went for a Hilliberg Akto in the end. Tried it briefly in the garden. I'm 1.8m tall, can sit up in it, and laying down masses of spare space at feet/head.
Only drawback I didn't think of..... for about 35 years I have packed the saunders tent as 2 rolled cylinders (inner and outer separately in stuff sacks) about 9 - 10" or so long. Thus I can put said stuff sacks vertically or horizontally in a front panner (horizontally if wet, inner tent on top). The Akto has the 30cm or so corner poles, so I can't roll it in a cylinder less than about 30cm, so no horizontal packing. Packing in a vertical roll is just doable with a front Ortleib roll top pannier. I now have to think how to efficiently fill up the left over vertical space with stuff that might be adjoining a damp tent. Off bike sandles so far, but more space to fill!
By fill I don't mean more/extra stuff, just efficient use of space to keep the over all volume to a minimum.
I've never been a fan of tent on the rear rack packing (theft risk?), though that is where I strap the poles.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

BritishEagle wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 9:41pm
It’s the 4 man version of your Copper Spur UL3.
If you’re worried about porch size, it’s easy to unclip the inner slightly to make the porch bigger for cooking.
I have the UL1 copper spur bike packing but I didn’t think it was close enough to the authors list of requirements. Very different to a hilleberg. Happy to recommend it as a single man/woman tent though. Much nicer than my Hubba Hubba even though a similar design. Fairly well reviewed in other posts on the forum.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thus I can put said stuff sacks vertically or horizontally in a front panner (horizontally if wet, inner tent on top).
Nice choice - hope you enjoy it! Any scope for changing its location to the cross-bar?
screenshot of bike & luggage
screenshot of bike & luggage
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 10:21pm My only comment re the Hilly Enan, which I understand is the yellow vs. of the Akto, is that when I made a move from the red Nallo to the yellow Anjan, I found the inevitable compromises resulting from much lighter materials slightly annoying. For example, the outer is cut higher to allow for some adjustment with respect to which side is protected more. All very useful I'm sure but after the simple dependability & built-in weather proofness of the Nallo, I just found the extra adjustment available on the Anjan a bit of a faff. It may be that the the Enan "enjoys" similar versatility which you might find annoying... or you may appreciate it!
I don't think you were the only person to find that feature more like a bug, and thus the sliding fly on the Mark 1 Rogen and Anjans was replaced with a simpler curved cut fly that has now stayed the same for several years, and also brought in on newer Yellow Label tents like the Helags.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Nice choice - hope you enjoy it! Any scope for changing its location to the cross-bar?
No chance of me putting the tent under the cross bar. I see the practical benefits of bike packers packing the way/locations they do, but I regard it as an excuse for visually untidy packing!