Bike boxes Pisa

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chrisfarrow64

Bike boxes Pisa

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

Hi, trying to get organised for a trip in may from Munich to Pisa. There'll be five of us all flying out from Pisa. I've tried contacting a couple of bike shops to see if they'd be able to put us some boxes by but they say they can't. Anyone got any experience of flying out of Pisa and how easy it is to find boxes on the day?
MrsHJ

Re: Bike boxes Pisa

Post by MrsHJ »

Never flown out of Pisa. EasyJet are ok with bags so one route might be to carry some with you. I tend to use the uk cycling plastic bag (currently out of stock so I looked around for an alternative) and have just got one of these to try. I haven’t tested it yet so not entirely confident it will work. I’d get some bubble wrap delivered to my last hotel to reinforce everything. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... th=1&psc=1

But I’m assuming you’d prefer to source boxes so I’d try contacting some folks on warm showers- they should be useful on local knowledge. Next suggestion is the local bike club. Also maybe the information at Pisa airport, in case they have boxes (seems unlikely at a small airport).

Presumably you’ve offered to pay the bike shops? - I’m wondering if they might be more amenable to booking you in for packing your bikes up.
chrisfarrow64

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

Thanks, useful stuff. Sure there'll be a good solution there somewhere.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 6:16pm Never flown out of Pisa. EasyJet are ok with bags so one route might be to carry some with you. I tend to use the uk cycling plastic bag (currently out of stock so I looked around for an alternative) and have just got one of these to try. I haven’t tested it yet so not entirely confident it will work. I’d get some bubble wrap delivered to my last hotel to reinforce everything. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... th=1&psc=1

But I’m assuming you’d prefer to source boxes so I’d try contacting some folks on warm showers- they should be useful on local knowledge. Next suggestion is the local bike club. Also maybe the information at Pisa airport, in case they have boxes (seems unlikely at a small airport).

Presumably you’ve offered to pay the bike shops? - I’m wondering if they might be more amenable to booking you in for packing your bikes up.
I bought a similar bag and have used it to transport a disassembled touring bike.
I carriy the bag folded during my tours. It's a couple of kilos so not a massive handicap added to the overall weight.
I think it would work for someone flying - I've used a heavy duty bike bag in the past.
I suppose bubblewrap would be available at a diy or office supplies place.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's unfortunate that no one is helpful re boxes. I have found different countries treat them differently, some throwing as soon as bike is out, others selling, etc.

You could try a building supplies place like the local version of Wickes. Large sheet of tough polythene, and bubble wrap or cardboard. Seal with packing tape.

Given 5 of you, one could take a taxi to get the stuff while everyone else waited at airport with the bikes. Wrap them there.

That bag Mrs HJ has will require both wheels off I think. I use a Dogsbody Bodybag (renamed something else now). It's good but is a kilo and about the size of a packet of A4 paper.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m a bit worried the wheels won’t fit actually! I was thinking of your experiences with the dogsbody Simon. It’s only around 0.5kg so I would definitely pad well (if it has enough space). I think I paid around £35 for it which I thought was worth it.

This is the main site for the brand. I think it’s the pocket bike bag. https://sciconsports.com/uk_en/

I’m keeping an eye out for the CTC bag coming back into stock as availability is intermittent as I like to know I have one on hand and I think my husband used my last one (which had done a few flights and was pretty battered) for something a while ago. It used to be supplied by wiggle but now chain reaction do it. I might email them and ask whether it is coming back into stock. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ctc ... prod167363

Ps if you end up “making” a box out of available cardboard make sure there is an access point in case they want to put a wand thing in to check for whatever they check for when getting on airplanes. This seems to be less of an issue now (better scanners?) but Pisa probably isn’t a huge airport so might not have the most up to date equipment.

It is always asking the airport if they have a policy in bike boxes as a few insist on a box eg maybe Schipol and ?maybe Geneva. I think those ones also tend to supply a box but it’s in the things I would research before just rocking up with a bag category. I can confirm that Venice were fine with a bag. Usually by the way airports leave it to the airlines to make the policies so your first stop is to check the airline you are flying with and what their requirements are- usually a protective bike bag or box, sometimes only a box.
Kyleclarkson07

Post by Kyleclarkson07 »

I’m also planning on flying home from Pisa later in the summer - did you find a solution or a shop willing to offer bike boxes?
chrisfarrow64

Re: Bike boxes Pisa - The Result

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

Bought the bag recommended by MrsHJ - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... th=1&psc=1

Worked perfectly for panniers plus rack bag and bar bag. I tool a front pannier as carry on. I did get some webbing straps to help relieve the pressure on the zip - not sure whether it was actually necessay but it saved the worry of it bursting open.

Boxes - give there were four of us and very little time to trawl around the bike shops we decided to have some boxes sent to the apartment we'd booked for the last night. www.sendbike.com were excellent. Good price (at least we felt so) and delivefred in plenty of time. The boxes were large and very sturdy. Knowing they had been delivered early removed that worry completely. It was just as well, in the end we were late arriving in Pisa (the whole Bologna flooding caused us to completely reroute).