Citroen concept bev

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Citroen concept bev

Post by simonineaston »

I was all ready to get modestly excited as it seems to tick some nice boxes - good range out of a small battery, nice flat bed luggage space for bike, affordable price, not to mention its novel appearence, but then I clocked the projected launch date of seven years hence...
so ugly its nice !
so ugly its nice !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
geocycle

Re: Citroen concept bev

Post by geocycle »

Looks about as aerodynamic as me on the bike!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That's the first thing I thought - sort of like a Humvee meets an ice-cream sundae! But apparently, according to the pundits on the YT vid.s (who are just journo.s mostly and so not necessarily engineers), aerodynamics only really start to come into play a) at higher speeds and b) the front edge of the vehicle incorporates ducts such that air is guided up and over the flat screen. The reason give for the small flat screen is weight and cost, the aim being to keep both as low as poss. The Oli weighs less than Lotus's latest sports car, they say.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I like this one better

https://2cev.co.uk/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You'd never loose it on a par park,however much you tried :shock:

PS,I don't think it's conception was altogether immaculate :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That battery powered 2CV is cute... :)
S
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

You want cute?

This is the one kittens post pictures of on Facebook.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yank ... yling/amp/
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Is there any reason for it to be so ugly?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Given that it’s a concept car, and one trying to grab attention for a slightly different approach to what a car is meant to do, it might be that the answer is: yes, to make everyone sit up, take notice, and talk about it.

The performance spec does seem to be very similar to that of the 2CV, which I regard as a good thing, but it is noticeable how even using novel materials the weight comes out at 1000kg, when the old animal was I think 600kg. Presumably a combination of the mass of the battery, and crash protection, of which I don’t recall there being any in a 2CV.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 8:16am Is there any reason for it to be so ugly?
Like Pug dogs so ugly they're cute,or so I'm told.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

geocycle wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 6:02pm Looks about as aerodynamic as me on the bike!
Very deliberately designed, and aero dynamics aren't actually obvious to the eye.
It gets over 6m/kWh... the windscreen is at that angle to reduce the amount (cost and weight) of glass
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

The Citroën press pack apparently says,
"Rather than being a two and a half tonne palace on wheels filled with screens and gadgets, this car proves you can do more with less"

I'm hoping this sort of car highlights Teslas and other backwards-looking vehicles for the dinosaurs they are.

It's good to see some intelligent thinking in the European motor industry. Tyres to last 300,000 miles (with tread made with some renewables, replaced when needed), lightweight construction, small battery but reasonable range, designed to be refurbished and last for decades. It isn't exactly ideal for squeezing through narrow gaps, though. Those aren't suspension elements in the seat frame, are they?

CL_interieur_22018023_desk2880x2717V1.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, yes they are air cushions in the seat frame.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

I appreciate their sense of humour.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

I hadn't realised this concept car was released to the public at the Paris Rétromobile this year, as fine an 'exhibition' for transport as there is, there are usually one or more collections of the very oldest two wheeled machines dotted about.

Who would have thought 'the future' would have looked so different in the 1950s - here's a Citroën concept car (one of a series which very nearly made the production lines) from 70 years ago - under 400kg, 18hp from a 425cc horizontally opposed twin cylinder engine, gas over oil self-levelling suspension and 70mph capability.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 13.12.52.png