Wrist pain

Godzy89

Wrist pain

Post by Godzy89 »

Hello all
Just wondering if anyone can advise on an ache/pain i get when im out on my flat bar hybrid
It starts after about a mile but then eases off after about 8 or 9 and it goes from the knuckle bone in my right wrist (not sure if its a knuckle bone but it the bit at the top if the wrist that sort of sticks out) and goes down to the top of my little finger
I wear padded mits/gloves and it only seems to happen when i use the bar grips but seems to ease when using the bar ends
Could it be being caused by the flat part of the grip where i put my palm and it needs to be altered downwards slightly?
I dont get any problems in my left hand

Thanks for any advice

John
Jdsk

Re: Wrist pain

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you add photos of:
• The positions of your hand on the bars when riding.
• You on the bike, side-on, hands on bars, feet on pedals.
• Where the pain is, pointing with one finger at it.

How long does the pain last after riding?

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Godzy89 wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 9:54am Hello all
Just wondering if anyone can advise on an ache/pain i get when im out on my flat bar hybrid
It starts after about a mile but then eases off after about 8 or 9 and it goes from the knuckle bone in my right wrist (not sure if its a knuckle bone but it the bit at the top if the wrist that sort of sticks out) and goes down to the top of my little finger
I wear padded mits/gloves and it only seems to happen when i use the bar grips but seems to ease when using the bar ends
Could it be being caused by the flat part of the grip where i put my palm and it needs to be altered downwards slightly?
I dont get any problems in my left hand

Thanks for any advice

John
Could always make a Dr's appointment, with a probable referral for X Ray's and all that? I'll be in the region of twenty fractures in the past four years and X Rays/Ct Scans and all that always seem useful, illustrating if there's an issue.

My left hand/wrist was supposed to be cut up/bolted back together in November, which I declined, but once i was back on the bike 29 January, the wrist/hand was proving painful on the flat bar hybrid. Personally I'll wait to see if it improves
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'm no doc so would seek medical advice.
but on the bar ends relief - that makes a certain sense - when you are on the bar ends there is no twisting of the wrist.

so you are replicating the much promoted benefits of using drops.

In normal riding/when cruising I spend pretty much all my time on the bar ends.
Sweep
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Strange
Been out tonight and had no pain at all
Will see how it goes and report back

Thank you for the replies

John
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

A “bike fit” will probably be more use than an appointment with your GP! A sports physiotherapist might be better than a GP too (ask your local bike club).

Might be something really obvious that a good local bike shop could point out like adjutments to seat position / handlebars position, rather than going straight into a professional bike fit.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have always found that my left arm aches after an hour or so riding, usually at the inner elbow. I have to take my hand off the 'bars and lower my arm and wriggle it a bit, then it's fine for a while.
Dropped 'bar bike.

Often I hold the the top near the stem with my left, and the hood with my right. This helps a great deal.

The way I see it, our bodies aren't symmetrical so one side is different to the other.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My wife rode a straight bar bike and was experiencing such bad wrist pain she was talking about giving up cycling.
Riding behind her I noticed the sharp angle her wrists were to the bars.
I bought a set of bars that curved inwards and this solved her problem. No mention of wrist pain after a days cycling since then.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 4 Apr 2023, 8:46am My wife rode a straight bar bike and was experiencing such bad wrist pain she was talking about giving up cycling.
Riding behind her I noticed the sharp angle her wrists were to the bars.
I bought a set of bars that curved inwards and this solved her problem. No mention of wrist pain after a days cycling since then.
And it's common. And it's one of the bad positions that can be quite easy to spot in a photograph.

Jonathan