Garmin Edge 200 - a change of USB style?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Greybeard

Garmin Edge 200 - a change of USB style?

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, folks. I've had a Garmin Edge 200 GPS speedo for several years now and although I use it manily on my vintage WW1 and 1920s motorcycles (yes, even the oldest will still go fast enough to earn speeding tickets in all but 60mph limits :D ). It has been extremely reliable throughout but I'm now having problems getting the charger to connect. This is mainly due to the tiny pins in the USB plug becoming misaligned and if I'm not very careful they miss their intended target :(
I have ordered a genuine Garmin replacement cable but have found that the design of the plug has changed - the contacts are now strips set into the side of the USB socket so there is no way they can meet the contacts in the unit itself.
Has anyone else had this problem and can identifiy a supplier of the earlier cables? It would be a shame to have to replace it when it still does its job. I do wonder whether the number of 200s for sale without chargers might be an indication of the issue.

Regards. Steve
PH

Re: Garmin Edge 200 - a change of USB style?

Post by PH »

There's been a few types of USB cable, I don't think Garmin have ever used a proprietary one. If it's the same Mini type as used on the Garmin Touring, I have a cable (Or two) left over from my defunct one and nothing else that uses them. PM me your address and I'll happily stick one in the post.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=P ... %20USB%2DC.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks, PH, that's ideal. PM on its way in a tick.

Steve
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine have all been the mini type. I mean ALL.

I've had an Edge 305, and Edge 705, and three Montanas.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Greybeard wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:26am It has been extremely reliable throughout but I'm now having problems getting the charger to connect. This is mainly due to the tiny pins in the USB plug becoming misaligned and if I'm not very careful they miss their intended target
PH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:39am There's been a few types of USB cable, I don't think Garmin have ever used a proprietary one. If it's the same Mini type as used on the Garmin Touring, I have a cable (Or two) left over from my defunct one and nothing else that uses them. PM me your address and I'll happily stick one in the post.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=P ... %20USB%2DC.
That's generous. I hope that it solves this.

But if it doesn't:

1 Do the pins look damaged or is it possible but that somehow you've got a cable with the wrong connector?

2 A few Garmin devices have used micro USB rather than mini USB, comparison photo below.

Jonathan

PPS: There is something unusual about some Garmin USB cables, but it isn't the mechanical contact of the pins. My Edge 1000 will reliably mount as a mass storage device with the cable supplied by Garmin, but not with other USB cables which work fine with other devices. I don't think that this is related to your problem.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

The pins are becoming misaligned on the original one - it's worked fine for many years and still does if I'm very careful and lucky plugging it in. I got into the habit of labelling each new lead when I get them to avoid mix-ups. Sometimes I have to move/proddle the pins with a needle first. It's only a matter of time before they fall apart or fail to respond to 'treatment'. The new one I got, despite having a moulded 'Garmin' text on the USB plug and being sold as a genuine article doesn't have the same contacts.
I have tried other mini-usb leads I have that do have the same type of pins, but they are obviously wired differently so don't work with the Garmin charger/Edge 200

Wouldn't life be so much simpler if these manufacturers concentrated more on standardisation and reducing landfill than striving for lucrative incompatibility?

Steve (wot seriously objects to replacing gizmos that still do what they were bought to do)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

"PPS: There is something unusual about some Garmin USB cables, but it isn't the mechanical contact of the pins. My Edge 1000 will reliably mount as a mass storage device with the cable supplied by Garmin, but not with other USB cables which work fine with other devices. I don't think that this is related to your problem."

Some USB cables are sold as only charging cables, and don't have the other pins connected, at least not in full USB configuration. Some, especially micro USB in my experience, can do their original job, but won't pass enough charging current for some devices.

Some older USB cables might not be up to higher speeds, although I dunno if micro USB suffers from that.

But as to the original problem, if both are to micro USB std, they should connect, as the std defines where things are.

Dunno if that helps. Probably not :cry:

Huh! My better half has a Garmin motorcycle GPS which is notorious for Garmin failing to connect the internal battery: users have to dismantle and recrimp.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

This particular problem is definitely a mechanical thing due to the pins in the mini usb becoming weak and easily distorted, but you are right, Garmin have ploughed their own furrow when it comes to what pin is connected to where. It is the original cable that is used for both charging and connecting to a PC to download gpx tracks etc (though its something Ive never really had any use for). Other devices I have which use what appear to be identical plugs simply dont connect.
Totally infuriating and wasteful ain't it? :|

Steve