Child seat on 28mm tyres

m4rv1n

Child seat on 28mm tyres

Post by m4rv1n »

Hi All,

I recently decided to go back into cycling after about 15 years of not using one. Main reason is a new job, with an office about 3 miles away and no point driving due to the lack of free parking.

I bought a second-hand Pinnacle Borrealis 2.0. It has 700x28c tyres

As well as commuting, I would also like to go on the occasional trip with family, so I was wondering if there was any consideration to take into account when trying to attach a rear child seat to a bike with these tyres like added weight (could they burst under the additional weight), impact on stability etc.

I used to ride a lot on mountain bikes, so very new to road bikes or bikes with narrower tyres.
Jdsk

Re: Child seat on 28mm tyres

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

We've used various child seats over the last forty-odd years. Mostly tourers and with 25, 28 and 32 mm tyres. Currently the family has Thule and Hamax seats, both of which are very rapid to fit as the mounting bracket stays on the seat tube.

I wouldn't expect problems with either stability or tyre failure.

Have fun.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 31 Mar 2023, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Probably worth keeping the pressure up - the first time I did a trip on my bike (also 28mm tyres) with some not particularly heavily loaded panniers, I got pinch flats riding over cattle grids.
I was a complete ingenue, and spent the evening trying to diagnose the cause of these strange double slits in my inner tube...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

To be honest I only ever used a touring bike with 25-28 tyres when I cycled with a child seat and never considered using anything wider... as long as they are pumped up...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells