Latest Garmin Edge Models

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Latest Garmin Edge Models

Post by PH »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 4:24pm makes me tempted to try to swing the 530 from Halfords and chance a CTC discount request :)
You could try, but the voucher specifically excludes tech.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

PH wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 4:33pm
keyboardmonkey wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 4:24pm makes me tempted to try to swing the 530 from Halfords and chance a CTC discount request :)
I didn’t know that. Thanks.
PH

Post by PH »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 5:10pm
PH wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 4:33pm
I didn’t know that. Thanks.
Nor did I till I got to the checkout!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Start Cycles have a 10% code EASTER on their website, I've got an 840 solar coming tomorrow for £490 inc postage.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

As someone who uses Linux, it's a bit dismaying to find that the new Garmins now need Windows or Mac to run updates, change maps etc.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Halfords are offering 20% off this - rather extended - bank holiday weekend until Wednesday, presumably taking it up to payday for many.

£207.99 in store for the Garmin Edge 530 - without the angst of wondering if Evri will leave it in the street or somewhere.

Cheers again for the advice.

Garmin Edge 530 at Halfords
Garmin Edge 530 at Halfords
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

st599_uk wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 8:55am As someone who uses Linux, it's a bit dismaying to find that the new Garmins now need Windows or Mac to run updates, change maps etc.
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Garmin Explore 2 for helping with navigation when touring. However as Chromebook and Linux user this post interests me. What are the implications for me? Can maps and updates not be run from the Garmin app on an Android phone?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

iandusud wrote: 31 May 2023, 8:44am
st599_uk wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 8:55am As someone who uses Linux, it's a bit dismaying to find that the new Garmins now need Windows or Mac to run updates, change maps etc.
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Garmin Explore 2 for helping with navigation when touring. However as Chromebook and Linux user this post interests me. What are the implications for me? Can maps and updates not be run from the Garmin app on an Android phone?
I'll have to check. On my current Garmin, you can mount the device like a USB hard drive, map img files from https://www.openfietsmap.nl/ are placed in the drives "Garmin/" folder, and GPX files in "Garmin/NewFiles/".

I'd get a new solar version in a flash if that still worked.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Standard "build for the majority" issue.
I have similar on my Chromebook - Garmin Express doesn't work on that cos that's Linux based. The Chromebook will recognise the GPS as an external drive when it's plugged in and it'll allow file transfers from Strava to the unit and vice versa but the actual updates which run over Garmin Express aren't possible on Chromebook.
PH

Post by PH »

Is it just the updates you can't do? It isn't a frequent requirement, I updated the maps once if the six years I had an Edge Touring and haven't updated the Explore 2 in the year I've had it. Might you know someone with a Garmin and Windows who'd help out when you occasionally need it?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 11:03am Is it just the updates you can't do? It isn't a frequent requirement, I updated the maps once if the six years I had an Edge Touring and haven't updated the Explore 2 in the year I've had it. Might you know someone with a Garmin and Windows who'd help out when you occasionally need it?
I have a Windows laptop through work and thankfully, work are OK with reputable third-party software so it's not an issue.

Sorry, I was more pointing out the lack of Linux compatibility as a general advisory to others although as you say, it shouldn't be an issue for most people. I generally update mine once every 6-8 months - it's certainly not a regular requirement.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

My main requirement is to able to load routes and either sync rides with RideWithGPS or download rides from the Garmin to my Chromebook to upload them to RideWithGPS.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 11:03am Is it just the updates you can't do? It isn't a frequent requirement, I updated the maps once if the six years I had an Edge Touring and haven't updated the Explore 2 in the year I've had it. Might you know someone with a Garmin and Windows who'd help out when you occasionally need it?
Exactly.

For my pattern of use getting routes onto the device needs to be very quick and easy and convenient. Software and map upgrades not so much.

(I use a Mac and at the moment I move routes by mounting the Garmin as a USB mass storage volume and putting them in the privileged folders upthread. For upgrades I use Garmin Express, which is currently working fine.)

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

iandusud wrote: 31 May 2023, 11:09am My main requirement is to able to load routes and either sync rides with RideWithGPS or download rides from the Garmin to my Chromebook to upload them to RideWithGPS.
Our usage might be different, likewise the available gadgets and apps. I do everything I need (routes, records, files) via connect on an android phone and bluetooth. The Garmin doesn't need a direct connection to the computer other than for the updates.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PH wrote: 31 May 2023, 12:12pm
iandusud wrote: 31 May 2023, 11:09am My main requirement is to able to load routes and either sync rides with RideWithGPS or download rides from the Garmin to my Chromebook to upload them to RideWithGPS.
Our usage might be different, likewise the available gadgets and apps. I do everything I need (routes, records, files) via connect on an android phone and bluetooth. The Garmin doesn't need a direct connection to the computer other than for the updates.
That's very helpful and puts my mind at ease. Thank you everyone for your input.