Nut Zero

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Nut Zero

Post by al_yrpal »

The Park Authority of the Brecon Beacons National Park have decided to change the Parks name to Bannau Brycheiniog. At the same time they are dropping the Brecon Beacons symbol of the flaming beacon which they feel is not compatible with nut zero policy.

It has been suggested that the fire breathing dragon on the Welsh flag should be dropped for the same reason.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Re: Nut Zero

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:19pm ...
At the same time they are dropping the Brecon Beacons symbol of the flaming beacon which they feel is not compatible with nut zero policy.
Where have they said that that's a reason for the change, please?

The press release "Brecon Beacons National Park Reclaims Its Welsh Name":
https://www.beacons-npa.gov.uk/the-auth ... elsh-name/

Jonathan

PS: And an accompanying inspirational video on regeneration, wildlife diversity and dark skies:

roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:19pm The Park Authority of the Brecon Beacons National Park have decided to change the Parks name to Bannau Brycheiniog. At the same time they are dropping the Brecon Beacons symbol of the flaming beacon which they feel is not compatible with nut zero policy.

It has been suggested that the fire breathing dragon on the Welsh flag should be dropped for the same reason.

Al
Where do you get your views from? A link to the emboldened claims please!
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:37pm
al_yrpal wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:19pm The Park Authority of the Brecon Beacons National Park have decided to change the Parks name to Bannau Brycheiniog. At the same time they are dropping the Brecon Beacons symbol of the flaming beacon which they feel is not compatible with nut zero policy.

Al
Where do you get your views from? A link to the emboldened claims please!
Forbidding posts of such unsubstantiated claims about unnamed others would be a better way of achieving "nut zero". There are far too many nutty posts in this forum lately, mostly from the same few.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

I think it may be an interpretation of this from the BBC.

As part of the rebrand, the authority is ditching a picture of a burning beacon from its logo, arguing that the fiery, carbon-emitting symbol no longer fits with its ethos on fighting climate change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65274952
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'd like to know what "nut zero" is in relation to? :?
AFAICS Wales wishes to use it's own old and long established language for areas such as it's National Parks,much as it uses the Welsh language for road signs and place names.
I can't see what the OP is fussing about :?

Edit:- Thanks re_cycler for the link,seems like the OP has bee in his bonnet over it........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

re_cycler wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 1:11pm I think it may be an interpretation of this from the BBC.

As part of the rebrand, the authority is ditching a picture of a burning beacon from its logo, arguing that the fiery, carbon-emitting symbol no longer fits with its ethos on fighting climate change.

The BBC gives no source for that and I didn't see such an argument on www.BreconBeacons.org
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

From the Guardian report

As well as the flaming beacon not fitting with the park’s ethos, the management says there is no evidence of burning beacons ever existing on its summits.

The park authority CEO, Catherine Mealing-Jones, said: “The more we looked into it the more we realised the name Brecon Beacons doesn’t make any sense. It’s a very English description of something that probably never happened. A massive carbon-burning brazier is not a good look for an environmental organisation.”

Which is rather more nuanced, though the shoe-horning of carbon emissions into the argument does seem a bit nutty to me.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

disappointing how everybody (news, etc.) is focusing on the name change rather than the management plan the name change is part of which includes:
  • 16,000 hectares of peatland restoration
    One million new trees being planted
    Water quality improvement, including getting rivers to bathing water quality standard across the Park
    A focus on sustainable farming for an improved local food economy
    Curlew population recovery
    Creation of wildlife corridors to link habitats
    Floodplains to hold water, encouraging diverse plants to thrive in order to store both carbon and nutrients
    Sustainable transport solutions, including park and ride pilots between Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon
Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 1:23pm disappointing how everybody (news, etc.) is focusing on the name change rather than the management plan the name change is part of which includes:
  • [...]
    Sustainable transport solutions, including park and ride pilots between Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon
Maybe they're not controversial any more?

Any good cycling among the sustainable transport solutions?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

disappointing how everybody (news, etc.) is focusing on the name change rather than the management plan the name change is part of which includes:
That's bloomin' newspapers for you! The list looks Great :-)
ps am looking through the linked YT clip in search of the new name being spoken aloud, so I can learn how to say it properly...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 2:27pm ...
ps am looking through the linked YT clip in search of the new name being spoken aloud, so I can learn how to say it properly...
3' 50" in, but I'd encourage you to watch the whole thing. : - )

And from the press release:

"The new name, which takes effect today – the 66th anniversary of the Park’s designation – is pronounced Ban-eye Bruck-ein-iog."

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I thank you :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 2:30pm
simonineaston wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 2:27pm ...
3' 50" in, but I'd encourage you to watch the whole thing. : - )

And from the press release:

"The new name, which takes effect today – the 66th anniversary of the Park’s designation – is pronounced Ban-eye Bruck-ein-iog."

Jonathan
So "Banzai Brokenleg" it is then. :lol:
BTW i caught something about this on the midday news on the radio and they mentioned abandonded pianos up there, or did i misshear that too. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

re_cycler wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 1:11pm I think it may be an interpretation of this from the BBC.

Oh by Joveses, those Presbyterians had better watch out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?