Nut Zero

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Nut Zero

Post by al_yrpal »

Audax67 wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 3:27pm
Oh by Joveses, those Presbyterians had better watch out.
Too true - Burns Night is apparently being considered for the chop too. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Prime Minister has joined in, or at least his Office has declared an interest:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ing-street

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 1:35pm ...
Any good cycling among the sustainable transport solutions?
There's a neat navigation tool which leads to:

"Buses and Trains" and electric car and boat hire:
https://www.breconbeacons.org/discover/ ... and-trains

and

"Cycling and Mountain Biking":
https://www.breconbeacons.org/things-to ... ain-biking

But I can't tell what's new.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 4:04pm
Audax67 wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 3:27pm
Oh by Joveses, those Presbyterians had better watch out.
Too true - Burns Night is apparently being considered for the chop too. :lol:

Al
Nicola Sturgeon too according to the Press. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
honesty

Post by honesty »

And I thought this was going to be a discussion about problems “down there”….
pwa

Post by pwa »

There is a trend in Wales, at the moment, for ditching the newer English names and using the older Welsh names instead. I'm not convinced it is a great idea because this relates to the tourist industry, and if the customers struggle with the Welsh names there is a branding problem.

But I can see the attraction of using the old Welsh names. They go back further and, as a result, have an extra bit of romance about them. The Brecon Beacons name only goes back 68 years and is aguably a poor choice of name. The bigger hills were never beacons, apparently, and even if they had been, the park is much larger and varied than those hills.

And I will add something else. We all make an effort to learn how to pronounce place names when we go to France. We don't want to appear ignorant by getting them wrong. How about making a similar effort with Welsh names? You might find that you can do it!. You may even find some pleasure in it. Welsh place names tend to mean something, and when you decipher a few names, and learn how to say them, you often find other place names containing some of the same elements.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Catherine Mealing-Jones, the national park authority’s chief executive, told the PA news agency: “Given that we’re trying to provide leadership on decarbonisation, a giant burning brazier is not a good look.
Source.. Hackney Gazette!

Seems to me the Black Mountains are in danger of being cancelled and as for Offas Dyke!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 7:39am
Catherine Mealing-Jones, the national park authority’s chief executive, told the PA news agency: “Given that we’re trying to provide leadership on decarbonisation, a giant burning brazier is not a good look.
I guess that's:

"Backlash over Brecon Beacons name change":
https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/n ... me-change/

The source of that is PA Media:
https://pa.media/blogs/pa-editors-picks ... me-change/

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 7:43pm And I thought this was going to be a discussion about problems “down there”….
Where,that London? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 7:39am

Seems to me the Black Mountains are in danger of being cancelled and as for Offas Dyke!

Al
Offa, King of Mercia, wasn't he? Not sure why the string of earthworks generally attributed to him (though of questionable origin in some cases) might get cancelled. The fact is, when I go to walk a bit of Offa's Dyke, as I have, or tramp around Hay Bluff, or cycle a bit of the Taff Trail to Talybont on Usk, I don't concern myself with the fact these places are within the Brecon Beacons NP, under its old name or its new name. I go for the individual locations. Which can't be cancelled. They will be there a thousand years after you and I are gone. You are getting worked up over nothing.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not 'worked up', just bemused the Beacons that I have spent many happy hours walking and sailing in are at the centre of a rather silly virtue signalling exercise.
My friend Idlois who lives nearby has been trying to get a blocked footpath opened for two years and has been told there is 'no money' but apparently enough to pay for dozens of new signs

Al
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Not sure how choosing to use your national language is "virtue signalling".

Just a matter of choice, no?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

honesty wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 7:43pm And I thought this was going to be a discussion about problems “down there”….
Was a little surprised at the title also :lol:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 5:12pm Not sure how choosing to use your national language is "virtue signalling".

Just a matter of choice, no?
Are you saying that you think being Welsh isn't a virtue?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Stevek76 wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 6:14pm
Was a little surprised at the title also :lol:
You thought it might be news of a personal deficiency? :lol: