Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mike_Ayling

How do I delete my account?

Post by Mike_Ayling »

As per heading above
Vorpal

Re: How do I delete my account?

Post by Vorpal »

You cannot delete your account. I can, but I would not normally do so. I prefer to deactivate accounts that are no longer needed.

pm me with an explanation?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

The forum software does not permit me to mark your fellow mod Mick F as a foe.
I find most of his posts extremely irritating.
Please delete my account.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 10:58pm The forum software does not permit me to mark your fellow mod Mick F as a foe.
I find most of his posts extremely irritating.
Please delete my account.
To my mind it would have been better if you hadn’t said that but rather sent the suggested private message to Vorpal instead.
Vorpal wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 7:57am pm me with an explanation?
There are people on this forum that I too find irritating but Mick F isn’t one of them. If Mick F was part of that group then, out of respect for the much that he does here on the moderation team - admittedly some of which you might not know about - I’d cut him rather a lot of slack and you could choose to do similar.

As you no longer want your account the simple thing for you to do is to both stop using it and to stop visiting the forum. Vorpal could also ban you, which would remove your posting rights …

As for Mick F I wish him well and thank him for what he does … and as far as I’m concerned his posts aren’t at all irritating.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Carlton
I don't care what a good bloke Mick F is and how well he works for the forum, I find his posts extremely irritating and if I can't block him I want my account here cancelled.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Vorpal, please delete my account.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I find most of the world extremely irritating these days - but I have no intentions of deleting myself.

for what its worth - I like Mick F's slightly mad off beat posts, he's inspired me to collect bus terminuses on my bike in edinburgh lol
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, the issue here tis that as a spambuster, Mick F has a moderator's powers and privileges but after many years of work keeping the forum spamfree, he has now largely quit that role. That seems to have left him is a sort of moderator emeritus.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have always enjoyed Mick's posts, he offers a fascinating glimpse into his world and life quite different to mine bravely exposing his own slightly obsessive quirky pastimes to everyone. I take my hat off to him!

A welcome relief from all the political rubbish and pedantry.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 8:30am I have always enjoyed Mick's posts, he offers a fascinating glimpse into his world and life quite different to mine bravely exposing his own slightly obsessive quirky pastimes to everyone. I take my hat off to him!

A welcome relief from all the political rubbish and pedantry.

Al
I don't think the OP was initially making any comment about Mick F. The main issue now that the OP has been asked to explain involves the preservation of the powers of a moderator. AIUI, if the OP could have used the "Foe" feature to ignore the member in question, we'd not have heard any of this.

The skill isn't in making chums, but in dealing properly with those you disagree with.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Pebble wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 7:59am
for what its worth - I like Mick F's slightly mad off beat posts, he's inspired me to collect bus terminuses on my bike in edinburgh lol
In a ranking of the forum posters from most to least irritating, Mick would be very close to the "least" end, in my book.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning guys, and thank you for the kind comments.
I'm sad that our OP Mike objects to me. Yes, sad, and I apologise if I've upset him.

As for Spambusting, hardly a day goes by without me deleting spam, and/or approving new posters.
It's continual conveyor belt. I deleted some spam yesterday, and already approved a new poster this morning.

I was riding with a chap recently who doesn't live far from here. We'd never met before, but got on well whilst pedalling along side-by-side. I told him about my recent post boxes obsession, and how I've been on just about every single road in Cornwall, crossed bridges over the A38 and The A30 as well as the River Tamar. Also about my End2Ends, and that one of them was on a Raleigh Chopper. I told him of the 226 parish churches I've been to too.

I listed all the countries I cycled in when in the RN, and how I cycle-commuted from Gunnislake to Devonport every day.

Been there, done it, so cut me some slack about being obsessive about stuff. At least it's getting me out cycling :D
Mick F. Cornwall
slowster

Post by slowster »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 8:13am AIUI, the issue here tis that as a spambuster, Mick F has a moderator's powers and privileges but after many years of work keeping the forum spamfree, he has now largely quit that role. That seems to have left him is a sort of moderator emeritus.
That is not true. Mick F continues to approve new posts, delete spam, move new topics to the correct forum, and perform other moderating activity. He might not currently be doing so as much as in the past when there were fewer people to do that work and at times a lot more of it, but from my own limited experience these things can ebb and flow. Recently one of the moderators who had not been very active for a while has made a very welcome return. Mick F's decision to take a break from the forum last year was what prompted the moderators to ask me to help, because his absence put more workload and pressure on them.

As for the OP, it would obviously have been better if he had PM'd Vorpal. I think it is probably the case that most of us find some others' posts and posting styles irritating, and sometimes extremely irritating. If we want to participate in an internet forum with lots of people, many of whom will be very different from ourselves, we have to be prepared to put up with some who annoy us or whose opinions we dislike. If someone cannot manage to shrug and move on when they see a post by someone who or which irritates them, they would probably do best to take a break from the forum.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Can't let the opportunity pass to thank everybody who works as a volunteer, keeping this forum going and sorting all the wheat from the chaff... where would we all be without you?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

slowster wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 9:55am
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 8:13am AIUI, the issue here tis that as a spambuster, Mick F has a moderator's powers and privileges but after many years of work keeping the forum spamfree, he has now largely quit that role. That seems to have left him is a sort of moderator emeritus.
That is not true. Mick F continues to approve new posts, delete spam, move new topics to the correct forum, and perform other moderating activity. He might not currently be doing so as much as in the past when there were fewer people to do that work and at times a lot more of it, but from my own limited experience these things can ebb and flow. Recently one of the moderators who had not been very active for a while has made a very welcome return. Mick F's decision to take a break from the forum last year was what prompted the moderators to ask me to help, because his absence put more workload and pressure on them.

As for the OP, it would obviously have been better if he had PM'd Vorpal. I think it is probably the case that most of us find some others' posts and posting styles irritating, and sometimes extremely irritating. If we want to participate in an internet forum with lots of people, many of whom will be very different from ourselves, we have to be prepared to put up with some who annoy us or whose opinions we dislike. If someone cannot manage to shrug and move on when they see a post by someone who or which irritates them, they would probably do best to take a break from the forum.
Re the bit first I've highlighted, I was wrong. And I am sorry

Your second paragraph seems wrong to me. To keep it brief, you seem to be saying that the the OP should move on, but on your terms.