How do I delete my account?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
sjs

Re: How do I delete my account?

Post by sjs »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 11:15am
I don't think anybody is suggesting that it should be possible to ignore moderation. I don't think the OP was trying to do so. Their problem was the 55,000-ish of your private posts which they could not ignore. I'll take it you are comfy with that
Why could they not ignore them? No one forced them to read them. There are people (not many now, more in the past) whose posts I don't read. I don't really get this foe thing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

sjs wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 3:30pm Why could they not ignore them? No one forced them to read them. There are people (not many now, more in the past) whose posts I don't read. I don't really get this foe thing.
Couple of things:
- everyone's brains work differently; a bit like some don't notice babies crying, or train noise. As I posted earlier, for me it's like someone sitting at your table uninvited; it's hard to not hear what they say, even if you don't have any interest in their comments.
- their posts turn the Notifications thingy red; you click on that, and now you have to click on at least one more thing to dismiss it.

Hence the "ignore" function exists on the majority of forums (and Facebook/Twitter have block, mute etc etc ... ) These things DO get used, even if you don't find them useful!
sjs

Post by sjs »

mattheus wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 4:34pm
sjs wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 3:30pm Why could they not ignore them? No one forced them to read them. There are people (not many now, more in the past) whose posts I don't read. I don't really get this foe thing.
Couple of things:
- everyone's brains work differently; a bit like some don't notice babies crying, or train noise. As I posted earlier, for me it's like someone sitting at your table uninvited; it's hard to not hear what they say, even if you don't have any interest in their comments.
- their posts turn the Notifications thingy red; you click on that, and now you have to click on at least one more thing to dismiss it.

Hence the "ignore" function exists on the majority of forums (and Facebook/Twitter have block, mute etc etc ... ) These things DO get used, even if you don't find them useful!
Fair enough. Sometimes I like to sneak a look at a post from someone I know is likely to infuriate me, if I'm in the mood. For the same reason, I sometimes check to see what Peter Hitchens is wittering on about.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mike Ayling may well have had his content removed but his name is still there loud and proud and owned by the forum, which I guess he didn't want,

Unless I'm mistaken he was the guy who took offence at the majority of Micks posts.

The problem for Mike Ayling is that he's still 'googly' ...I know what he looks like, his missus, his blogs and trips are there for the world to see plus his content on cyclechat....strangely he was asking how to unignore a thread. I'm not stalking simply stating why he may well have wanted a clean slate.

There's a reason I named myself after my long departed cat :wink:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

sjs wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:48pm Sometimes I like to sneak a look at a post from someone I know is likely to infuriate me, if I'm in the mood. For the same reason, I sometimes check to see what Peter Hitchens is wittering on about.
:lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The major issue with ignoring a user (or two) is that if someone quotes, you see the ignored person's post.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Never done it, ever, on any of the forums I frequent.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 10:16am The major issue with ignoring a user (or two) is that if someone quotes, you see the ignored person's post.
The Ignore function may not be perfect but it helps reduce posts so categorised a lot.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 2:14pm ... The OP in this thread has to some extent "gone public." We've no idea how many others have simply moved on. Tip of an iceberg or something bigger?
I agree. When working we used to welcome complaints as more people upset by something we were doing wrong would silently more on and buy elsewhere and we'd never know why sales were not what we'd like. Somebody complaining tells you what you've done wrong and gives you the opportunity to put it right.

I am somewhat surprised about the quick dismissal of the dual username proposal by moderators, particularly as quite a few are requesting it.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 10:49am
I am somewhat surprised about the quick dismissal of the dual username proposal by moderators, particularly as quite a few are requesting it.

Ian
Actually, my post was the result of considerable thought about the possible benefits and disadvantages.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 12:09pm MickF is not a moderator, so his posts should be treated as personal contribution. From that perspective I think he should be treated like any other user.
The problem with that is that phpbb currently treats him as a moderator and others cannot treat his posts as personal contributions.
If you are offended by something he says, please report it. Should he perhaps exercise a little more discretion than most users, just because his name is in red letters? Yes, I think he should & generally does.
I wonder how awful his posts would be otherwise, then! Non-cycling posts like the implacable absolute political views and the conspiracy theories reposted from facebook are not against the current rules, so what's the point of reporting them? Usually people who don't want to read them are told to use the software features to ignore them, but that's not an option when a moderator account is being used to post them.

I'm disappointed if your refusal to open a second browser window for moderation work is seen as sufficient reason to allow other mods to keep driving people away from the forum.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sjs

Post by sjs »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 10:45am viewtopic.php?p=1780466#p1780466
So now you're trying to force anyone who might not have noticed one of Mick's posts to read it?
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Well that really has to be one of the biggest 'flounces' I've seen in over two decades :lol:
Why not just leave quietly with a bit of dignity :roll:

DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

PedallingSquares wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 4:04pm Well that really has to be one of the biggest 'flounces' I've seen in over two decades :lol:
Why not just leave quietly with a bit of dignity :roll:
I'm no great fan of the flounce either, but the OP's post was approx. 3 months ago, and the last activity in this thread was approx. 3 weeks ago. What made you decide this needed to be resurrected now?