How do I delete my account?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Carlton green

Re: How do I delete my account?

Post by Carlton green »

Oh dear, here we go again, someone’s not happy and wants something different of the moderation team. Let’s all just be clear that these folk give us members hours of their own time each week and they get paid nothing. Let’s also be clear that they do a pretty good job and are pretty even handed in their judgements too.

Some might like change but here’s a voice for keeping things as they are because if it ain’t broke - which it clearly isn’t - then don’t fix it. I actually like to know what the moderators think about any topic and if their own views marginally colour their judgements then, as far as I’m concerned, that’s perfectly tolerable and has at least some useful transparency to it. It’s also OK that their posts should enjoy some prestige, but it’s not at all OK for any member to assume that moderators base their moderation decisions on their own social and political philosophies.

The objective of the original post has been achieved, stuff has been aired, rather than rock the boat further it really is time to move on.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 8:34pm
Psamathe wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 5:02pm
Off-original topic but I think it would be better if moderators only use their moderator username for moderation posts/activities and used a different/standard username for participation.normal.
I've been asking for this for years and I've still to get a proper answer as to why it won't/can't happen. I think it leaves the moderators wide open to criticism if they are making decisions where it is impossible to know whether that is their own opinion or that of the forum guidelines. I often read a moderator post just to ensure there has been no change in the guidelines only to find that it is a personal opinion being offered on a topic that I may only have a passing interest in.

I really would invite the moderators to explain clearly why they won't do this.
It's not impossible to have two identities. All you need to do is join the forum as a newbie and use a different email address.

I don't know, but there could be lots of double identities.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's not much in life that cannot be improved, even if only a tincey wincey little bit. It just needs the courage to "keep an open mind."
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I see Mike has pedaled off into the sunset, leaving only his posts behind him...
absent poster
absent poster
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's an awful statement to say that someone "does not exist" :shock:

He does exist, it's that he's no longer a member of the forum.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:29am It's an awful statement to say that someone "does not exist" :shock:

Can you suggest any way this might have been avoided?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Carlton green wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 8:16am
Some might like change but here’s a voice for keeping things as they are because if it ain’t broke - which it clearly isn’t - then don’t fix it.
It clearly is broken: users cannot put spambusters on their ignore list. There really isn't a good reason for that except a phpbb bug.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 9:29am I see Mike has pedaled off into the sunset, leaving only his posts behind him...Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 09.25.43.png
For me, he still has a profile. It just says, "Account deactivated by administrator"
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:38am
Some might like change but here’s a voice for keeping things as they are because if it ain’t broke - which it clearly isn’t - then don’t fix it.
It clearly is broken: users cannot put spambusters on their ignore list. There really isn't a good reason for that except a phpbb bug.
I'm pretty sure it is deliberate, not a bug.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yes - "The requested user account does not exist." might be more respectful, under the circ.s !! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:37am
Mick F wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:29am It's an awful statement to say that someone "does not exist" :shock:

Can you suggest any way this might have been avoided?
Are you asking about the wording being improved, or asking why someone with Moderator privileges can't be ignored?

Wording would be better (nicer?) to say, "The requested user is no longer a member of the forum".

As for ignoring a mod - even one like me - can't be done for for obvious reasons. Although I have opted not to have full mod privileges, I could have them if I asked. They have been offered to me more than once.

I can approve new users, delete posts, or edit them, or move them, as well get rid of spam of course. The other mods can do all that too plus other more in-depth stuff.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:43am
mjr wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:38am
I'm pretty sure it is deliberate, not a bug.
Being deliberate doesn't mean it isn't a design error, a type of bug.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It is deliberate but that doesn't stop its being an anomaly, as I've tried to explain.

The spambusting over the years has been an excellent feature of this forum but that's not to say perfect.

I've no idea how many people have accepted the "like it or lump it" line and moved on but I do get the impression that it may be more than some appreciate.
===========================================
PS Mick F

As I see it, I thought it was obvious that there's no suggestion of forum members avoiding moderation. The issue is ignoring what I'll term the "personal" or "private" contribution of moderators. It sounds as though you believe it comes with the territory.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:49am As for ignoring a mod - even one like me - can't be done for for obvious reasons.
What are the "obvious reasons" why we are all unable to hide, for example, the conspiracy theories reposted from facebook about the emergency alert tests?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How can you ignore a moderator?
If we all ignored the moderators, the forum would fall apart at the seams.

To quote TC's father after the young TC was throwing stones into the canal ........... "What would happen if we all did that?"
Sorry, TC if I've got the story wrong.
Mick F. Cornwall