Are you "Infected by a remainer mind virus"?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

If so, cure yourself pronto, you're impoverishing the country!

FurPKueXwAEoenO.jpg

From the Telegraph.

Of course, it would be much funnier if it were parody rather than a view that reflects a significant part of our ruling party. But still amusing.
PH

Re: Are you "Infected by a remainer mind virus"?

Post by PH »

I didn't make it to the end of the first paragraph, they're not the 52% and they never were.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I’m not infected with that status but for all those that are I suggest that it’s time to move on and deal with where we are, as they say ‘there’s no point in crying about spilt milk’.

My interest is in having a Labour Government after the next General Election and in not having so many Tory Councillors after the coming local elections. To my mind the Tory party haven’t managed the economy well and we should have recovered from 2007/8 much better than we have. Inflation is currently high and that’s a result of inadequate energy and food security planning, letting the market take care of everything isn’t wise. Likewise standing back whilst companies stoke inflation for their own short term gain is completely negligent.

Is the Bank of England and the OBR correct? Well I’d trust them more than some ideological politician.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 12:54pm I’m not infected with that status but for all those that are I suggest that it’s time to move on and deal with where we are, as they say ‘there’s no point in crying about spilt milk’.
Blaming others for the milk you spilt is also a bad look.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mattheus wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 1:01pm
Carlton green wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 12:54pm I’m not infected with that status but for all those that are I suggest that it’s time to move on and deal with where we are, as they say ‘there’s no point in crying about spilt milk’.
Right now pointing fingers is absolutely pointless - unless the object is to feel smug or vindicated - and indeed the original post has (IMHO) little merit, click bait? Doubtless the thread will run for ages and, like many similar ones, achieve next to nothing useful but will be destructive to this forum. The Telegraph article was written to appeal to its readership and the Guardian probably has something similar from the other side … it all sells papers, doesn’t it.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 1:17pm
mattheus wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 1:01pm
Pointing fingers is absolutely pointless - unless the object is to feel smug or vindicated - and indeed the original post has (IMHO) little merit, click bait? Doubtless the thread will run for ages and, like many others, achieve next to nothing useful but will be destructive to this forum. The Telegraph article was written to appeal to its readership and the Guardian probably has something similar from the other side … it all sells papers, doesn’t it.
I think the article is far more instructive than you suggest.

This is the house paper of the ruling party.

It shows to what extent we're in the grip of an ideological cult.

As to "destructive to the forum" and "time to move on" - we will not move on from this until reality is acknowledged. As the article shows, we're a very long way from that. The first step to giving up booze is admitting you're an alcoholic, and the damage your alcoholism is causing. Currently, the conservative party and government, and even the opposition to an extent, is still at the stage of "yes, I drink a lot, but who is it harming"?

Of course, if you're not interested, you don't need to respond. Nobody is forcing you!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Also we can learn a lot from history. In this case, some lessons might be:
- Populist appeals don't make great policy;
- Certain politicians lie more than others.
- Are we better off in Europe or out? What might be best for our future? Discuss.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mattheus wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 1:24pm Also we can learn a lot from history. In this case, some lessons might be:
- Populist appeals don't make great policy;
- Certain politicians lie more than others.
- Are we better off in Europe or out? What might be best for our future? Discuss.
Geography trumps ideology might be another.

Also, the power of narrative is to persuade, not to evaluate.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 1:17pm Right now pointing fingers is absolutely pointless - unless the object is to feel smug or vindicated - and indeed the original post has (IMHO) little merit, click bait? Doubtless the thread will run for ages and, like many similar ones, achieve next to nothing useful but will be destructive to this forum. The Telegraph article was written to appeal to its readership and the Guardian probably has something similar from the other side … it all sells papers, doesn’t it.
The sooner the Brexiters accept their role in this sh!tshow and stop gaslighting the remainers the sooner we can set about fixing it.
Carlton green wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 12:54pmit’s time to move on and deal with where we are, as they say ‘there’s no point in crying about spilt milk’.
See Sunk Cost Fallacy
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If it had been a day's production of milk I’d spilt I could get over it right enough. This spill included a lifetime of production and to be brutally honest I don’t have any stomach to start milking again. I can’t find any straw to cling onto. On a good shout I’ve probably around ten years left and never dreamt my retirement years would have been surrounded by so many miserable despondent people.
It’s not a virus it’s a physical kick in the teeth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I wait excitedly for the next article, in which he firmly pins the blame for that mad woman who was PM for five minutes and trashed the economy on people who voted ‘remain’.

Post by 853 »

In view of the fact that this keeps on being brought up again, and again and again, some seven years after a democratic vote on the subject, then the answer to the question is for some people clearly "Yes"
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A bit like the way the question was brought up ad-nauseam by supporters of brexit when the position was the other way round.

Whatever direction you favour, it’s blindingly obvious that a 48:52 vote gave too fine a margin to make the question go away for any length of time. It probably needs at least 60:40 to put it to bed one way or the other for a few decades

The country was in two minds when the vote took place, and it’s still in two minds now, so the question will get raised, and I wonder if those who are vehemently opposed to it being raised are just a little bit afraid that if it were to be asked again now, the decision would tip the other way. My instinct is that it would, but that again the margin would be too small to allow it a decent burial.
Last edited by Nearholmer on 27 Apr 2023, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nearholmer wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 6:42pm A bit like the way the question was bought up ad-nauseam by supporters of brexit when the position was the other way round.

Whatever direction you favour, it’s blindingly obvious that a 48:52 vote gave too fine a margin to make the question go away for any length of time. It probably needs at least 60:40 to put it to bed one way or the other for a few decades

The country was in two minds when the vote took place, and it’s still in two minds now, so the question will get raised, and I wonder if those who are vehemently opposed to it being raised are just a little bit afraid that if it were to be asked again now, the decision would tip the other way. My instinct is that it would, but that again the margin would be too small to allow it a decent burial.
I think the main point is that there was always going to be an endless debate on our relationship with the EU, for several reasons.

Firstly, we're in their influence. Every other neighbouring country has an ongoing negotiation over the terms of their relationship, so the same would always be true for us.

Secondly, the nature of the referendum, giving no direction on the terms of a new settlement meant there would never be any majority for any particular settlement (this was one of the fatal flaws in the decision to have the referendum). "Get Brexit done" was a blank canvas.

Thirdly, there were always going to be far more downsides than upsides. As there was no overall positive, that makes fighting over the crumbs much more bitter.

On support, polls currently show a majority in favour of rejoining, which isn't to say that makes it a good idea, or that they're a reliable indicator of a new referendum. https://www.whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion ... lls-uk-eu/

There's a huge majority who think it was a mistake in hindsight. https://www.whatukthinks.org/eu/questio ... ve-the-eu/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What I voted for in 2016 was to remain in the EU.
What happened was that vote went against it by a very narrow majority of not even the whole of the elegible electorate.

What has happened since has been a continued trashing of the economy as if since the great Osborne austerity plan wasn't bad enough,our trade with the EU,my country becoming a laughing stock around the world,a continued decline of living standards and those that orchestrated that leaving getting richer as a result as those at the other end of the economic scale became poorer, to name just few downsides of leaving without ANY upsides that I'm aware of.
And all that was brought about by those who orchestrated it lying through their teeth then and far more now in an effort to cover up their trashing of the country for their own gain.

I don't count myself as a very clever man but I know generally what's good for me and the country and it's not Torism and the proto facism(to use Pete75's term for the present shower and their ideology), these people are killing this country for their own monetary gain and it sickens me to my stomach.
So if that is infection I must be infected.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden