Thorn / St John St cycles - response to f'back

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tiberius

Re: Thorn / St John St cycles - response to f'back

Post by Tiberius »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 10 May 2023, 5:21pm ......... they don't provide a decent service for their online customers.
Well this 'online customer' has used them extensively over the last twelve years and not had one single issue.

I guess that I'm just lucky eh?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or maybe you have lower expectations than I do regarding the service an online store should offer.

I don't think waiting several days before picking and packing is good service - if I order in the afternoon (or after some other arbitrary cutoff) then the next day is acceptable.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Just goes to show.Always have a Thorn on your side rather than a thorn in your side.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:34pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:19pm But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.
Jonathan
I like that they don't. Too often next day delivery is mistaken for good service, it's just logistics, often a grossly inefficient method of distribution. I've never bought any cycle part that I can't wait a week for, I'm more impressed that it's well packaged and exactly as expected.
In what way is it inefficient?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
grufty

Post by grufty »

I ordered some parts from SJS on Saturday, they arrived this morning (Friday).
As they are closed at the weekend (presumably bank holidays also), they were probably dealing with 4 days worth of online orders and queries on Tuesday. They will have to find and pack all the items into each order, and then enter the details of each order into the courier's system before a cutoff time.
I consider this turnround time to be perfectly acceptable, and could have paid for a speedier delivery.

I have no connection with SJS apart from being a satisfied customer, but I have worked in a similar niche (non-cycling) environment, where criticism can be frequent, but praise rare. And I certainly don't begrudge people wishing to spend time with their families at weekends.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

Another satisfied SJS customer here. Always helpful when I email. Reasonable prices and a superb range of stock. I don’t have a problem with their delivery timescales either, but I do have more than one bike that I can use
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 2 May 2023, 6:19pm I find SJS Cycles so helpful that I'm usually happy to not look for cheaper sources.

And that's not taking into account their stock.

But I do sometimes wish that they had faster delivery.
NB date.

Service as good as ever, and the last two deliveries have been much quicker: Royal Mail Parcels.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Without SJS a lot of us would have great difficult getting those obscure little bits and pieces that can't be found in most bike shops. I can't think of another UK retailer with anything like their range. And to keep them buoyant so that they are there when we need them, we might consider also going to them for the odd item we could get elsewhere, even if it means paying a little more.

I must say that I can't remember ever getting agitated over one of their items taking too long to get to me. I suppose I never need an item instantly anyway. I can always wait four or five days, having spares for chains, tyres, etc in the back of my garage, and just topping that up as and when. I try not to leave my ordering so late that it requires a blue light delivery.

My purchases from them have always resulted in good items arriving at my doorstep in reasonable time, reliably. So they are always near the top of my list of suppliers.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

which were printed in a tiny, tiny font.
Thank you so much for pointing this out.What say book publishers do not realise is they do small fonts to save money.Some people young and old like big font and do not buy the books.
There is a easy solution.Pop into one of the pound stores or library.They sell glasses for approx 3 pounds 3+.
Alternatively one could get a magnifying glass.One would need a Deerstalker hat.Mr Holmes I presume.Great fun.I am off to get one!
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531