On a lighter note - hows your garden?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

On a lighter note - hows your garden?

Post by al_yrpal »

Its been a cold Spring and I think stuff has been held back. As per Monty's suggestion I put the monster garlic corms in before Christmas and they seem to be doing well, as are Broad Beans. Spuds and Mangetout put in a couple of weeks ago are a bit slow. Soft fruit has plenty of promise. Carrots and beetroot going in today.
And... Yippee hot tub is being removed on Friday so I can get on with building a timber greenhouse/sunroom against the wall.

Great swathes of Bluebells everywhere...

Hows yours?

Al
IMG20230502170224.jpg
Attachments
IMG20230423123611.jpg
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Re: On a lighter note - hows your garden?

Post by francovendee »

Your garden looks lovely.
Ours is becoming weed paradise. My wife has banned the use of weedkiller and as don't love gardening I won't weed by hand.
Letting it return to nature as it has already done on three sides of our garden.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I wish I had green fingers like you. Planted tomato plants and 6 runner beans couple of days ago. Slugs have chomped their way through some already. :(
Rhubarb is going strong along with the Monkey Puzzle grown from seed. My pride and joy.
Somerset garden on the level.
Somerset garden on the level.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 May 2023, 10:16am Its been a cold Spring and I think stuff has been held back. As per Monty's suggestion I put the monster garlic corms in before Christmas and they seem to be doing well, as are Broad Beans. Spuds and Mangetout put in a couple of weeks ago are a bit slow. Soft fruit has plenty of promise. Carrots and beetroot going in today.
And... Yippee hot tub is being removed on Friday so I can get on with building a timber greenhouse/sunroom against the wall.

Great swathes of Bluebells everywhere...

Hows yours?

Al
Your garden’s a credit to you, well done. Lot’s going on there.

My own plot doesn’t get all the attention that it needs … I must find someone other than me to blame for that. Yesterday I was grass cutting and I’ll be doing some more today. No Bluebells in my garden but cowslips and wild garlic, the wild snowdrops have now passed over and I mean to lift some more to give to local friends.

I think your idea of a green house come sun room is a winner, hope it works out for you.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

francovendee wrote: 3 May 2023, 12:22pm Your garden looks lovely.
Ours is becoming weed paradise. My wife has banned the use of weedkiller and as don't love gardening I won't weed by hand.
Letting it return to nature as it has already done on three sides of our garden.
Has she banned boiling water, flamethrowers, pulling them out and other solutions? Having read a little, I avoid Roundup like the plague.

The OP's garden is lovely, replacing a hot tub with a wooden framed lean-to sounds like a very good idea. Direct some of the hot air into the house, if possible, when the air's cold but the Sun is bright.

We've a lot of blossom despite the prolonged cold weather and I've never seen so many wild primroses.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Forced some Rhubarb with a plastic bin - so we had Rhubarb and custard last night. :D

Our Monkey puzzle looks a bit sick...not sure what to do?
IMG20230503135219.jpg
IMG20230503135149.jpg
Hot tub is against our garden wall, so not attached to the house. However there is electricity there. We plan some plants and comfy chairs for the Spring and Autumn.

Its a large but easily managed plot and an utter joy in the summer. Dug the veg plot last year but it was only moderately productive so I have dumped 25 bags of Farmyard Manure on it sourced from Proper Job (Chaplins).

I hope for Franco's sake this summer isnt a repeat... :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Here's us at the moment - patches are where the snowdrops were mown down yesterday.
Attachments
20230503_144349.jpg
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I have always wanted a walled garden, and two of you's have such a thing - Im jealous.

rockery is starting to get a bit of colour

pond is full of tadpoles, we had a mad time a month or so back with all the frogs croaking, fantastic noise. at one point we counted over a hundred on the surface

witches hat bird box hidden away, tree sparrow in residence

this one is supposed to be for starlings, 2 pairs of house sparrows.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nice photos, and I'm jealous.

They're all FLAT! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Deer in Garden.JPG
Back Garden.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've been rewilding mine for the last few years.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pebble, nice pond!

Heres my bird box. Bought it a couple of years ago and nothing would use it. Then I read that Blue Tits like a 1" hole and I put that piece of ply with a 1" hole in it over the original large hole. Now its Tit central! If you look carefully you can see where they have pecked all around the hole to enlarge it a bit. Truth was I used a 25 mm auger and 1" is 25.4mm!
IMG20230503182845.jpg
Al :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

rjb wrote: 3 May 2023, 1:31pm I wish I had green fingers like you. Planted tomato plants and 6 runner beans couple of days ago. Slugs have chomped their way through some already. :(
Rhubarb is going strong along with the Monkey Puzzle grown from seed. My pride and joy.

IMG_20230503_132458.jpg
Our Monkey Puzzle looked like that 15 years ago.
It once looked a bit like Al’s after a hard winter.
Look at it now. Easily 20’ that eggloo in the picture is 4 ft.
IMG_2209.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Last summer/this winter definitely took its toll on our garden. No sign of life from the bay tree or the rosemary. The natives seem mostly to have survived, lots of cowslips currently. The village garden I volunteer at is similar, but the major success story there is the honesty is having a good year so plenty of colour.
Good forage around now for the bees now as well. Probably why mine decided to swarm last week. It was April. And cold. But the little sods decided to go anyway :x . Managed to collect the swarm and put them up but then had to spend time making more hive parts.

On the plus side on the allottment, the first asparagus stalk is just pushing its way through, and the plums seem to have avoided the last frost, so free food is coming.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2209.jpeg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 1195 times