Looking for thoughts, ideas and or inspiration!?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TBaySimon

Re: Looking for thoughts, ideas and or inspiration!?

Post by TBaySimon »

Thanks again for the replies.

My wife would be ultra pleased I'm sure with most of your comments and encouragement, which I'm not necessarily going to tell her about! :D

I think you are all correct about investing in new wheels and tyres, with a lot of people moving more towards disc brakes there are probably some great buys to be had on wheels as well.

I may even consider some new 105 or Ultegra brakes for better stopping power, one of the release tabs (or whatever they are really called) has semi broken.

I had a good ride today with a mate who has a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod, it is really nice but he didn't half and struggle in the wind/gusts (Anglesey is well known to be winder than a lot of other places) it put me right off deeper aero profiles (not that they would suit my Equilibrium). To be fair it climbs really well though!

@rareposter you do make good points about the seat post/refurb and still getting a new bike :lol:
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

TBaySimon wrote: 3 May 2023, 5:44pm I've had a Genesis Equilibrium 853 for around 9 years and I love it but probably just getting a bit bored/itching to spend a bit.

Prices seem to have gone mad on bikes but maybe it is just because I'm retired and watching the pennies a bit more than used too!

Do I treat myself to a new bike? Or do I put some new life in to my Equilibrium?

If I were buying new I'd probably have up to about £3.5k on a good day but would like to keep it less. Bikes that float my boat tend to be steel ones 853, 931 and titanium (Fairlight Strael, Genesis Volare 931, Ribble Endurance Ti, etc). I'm not desperate to go Di2 but hydraulic discs would be higher up the list. I'd like to go lighter if I'm spending money but accept that my preferred route make that more difficult. I'd probably like something leaning towards race (but not out and out). I also should probably consider carbon bikes but just the thought of dropping one would break my heart and it has happened with my Equilibrium on a few occasions but it has just got up and dusted itself down without any issues.

Or...

... do I spend some cash on what I've already got (the Equilibrium)? I.E upgrade the wheels and forks. I have a new cassette and chain rings which I bought years ago when they were on offer (and a few other necessary spares). Currently it is wearing some bog standard Alex Rims Race 18 (with ultra-reliable/heavy Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres) and the forks are 853 and probably weigh like a boat anchor (but I guess are comfortable).

I would struggle to sell it as the seat post is stuck, though I haven't had a really determined attempt to release it as it is at the prefect height for me (I put a squirt of GT85 around it every time I go out).

This is it today after a clean...

http://simonz.co.uk/images/Eq1.jpg

Or I could just keep riding and maintaining it as it is. There is an itch to be scratched though :D

Thanks

Simon
Sounds like you want new bike time! Condor make some lovely steel framed bikes with carbon fork. And take the bombproof hit on tyres and get ones that don't ride like a bag of bricks.
TBaySimon

Post by TBaySimon »

No not really desperate for a new bike, I think the overall advice is sound and I do love my Equilibrium.

But I'm reserving the rights just in case😁
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, just to add another +1 for top notch tyres (and tubes).
Probably the most significant factor / influence on speed, ride quality and comfort for most of us.
Most high end tyres will feel transformative after Marathon Pluses, which are great at protecting against puncture but infamous for their leaden ride.
On a Sunday Best bike, I’m a fan of Compass Tyres with latex inner tubes (I haven’t tried tubeless so can’t comment). Both are relatively expensive, £70-80 per tyre, £10+ per tube, but worth it IMHO.
Best wishes,
Luke
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

*Whoops, Compass tyres are now known as Rene Herse tyres.
PH

Post by PH »

If you find a way to overcome the New Bike Itch, sharing it would make you very popular, and wealthy.
What not to do is, fall into the trap that it can be appeased with a few upgrades, I've done that, seen many others do so and the number of bikes you see for sale "Hardly used since refurb..." confirms how common it is.
On the Equilibrium, I'd get some decent tyres, you're not going to need to go high end for significant improvements on what you have, Conti GP 4 season would be my choice. Leave the wheels till they need replacing, sort the seatpost and that's it.
If a few hundred miles later you still want a new bike, I'd look at something to complement it rather than replace. Something significantly different, if you start with the same criteria that led to the Equilibrium, it'd be easy to spend a lot of money for essentially the same thing. I'd be asking myself what I could do differently on another bike, either routes I could ride that I don't currently, or the same routes I'd like to ride differently. I don't know where that would lead you, it might lead me to either a lightweight rocket for shorter blasts, or a chunkier bike for rougher rides, or.... Your budget is your own business, but if the requirement isn't a replacement, you don't have to spend a fortune.
Good luck
pwa

Post by pwa »

Regarding the seatpost, I have had a couple stuck in the past, have tried easing oil and grunt, and eventually got them out by sawing the top off to leave a simple tube, then carefuly filing or sawing down the length of the remaining seapost. If sawing, I used a hacksaw blade attached to a makeshift wooden handle. The alloy of the seatpost is soft compared to the steel of the seat tube, so with a bit of care you will have nothing more than very minor scratches to the unseen inner surface of the steel seat tube at the end of it. It takes me a good couple of hours to get a seatpost out that way, and it makes my hand ache. So I do it in ten minute stints over the course of a few days.

The frame and forks you already have are an excellent base for a top notch bike. Even the steel forks, a bit heavy compared to carbon alternatives, but on the road you will hardly notice that, and it is potentially longer lasting than a carbon one. You don't need to worry about it after ten years of use. I'd stick with it.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

TBaySimon wrote: 5 May 2023, 7:23am No not really desperate for a new bike, I think the overall advice is sound and I do love my Equilibrium.

Ah I'd probably go nicer tyres and carbon fork then, should make quite a difference to how it feels.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

gregoryoftours wrote: 6 May 2023, 10:58am
TBaySimon wrote: 5 May 2023, 7:23am No not really desperate for a new bike, I think the overall advice is sound and I do love my Equilibrium.

Ah I'd probably go nicer tyres and carbon fork then, should make quite a difference to how it feels.

… and wheels :D
TBaySimon

Post by TBaySimon »

The plan (so far)

New wheelset:
Prime Attaquer
or
DCR Vivaldi 24/28 Any thoughts on theses?

Tyres
Probably Continental GP5000 Do I go tubeless or not!?

I've had these replacement parts in for a good while. I trickle buy to reduce shock bills and when I see good buys :D Need to get new headset bearings, chain, cables and bar tape... pretty much full rebuild.

The seatpost is currently being subjected to penetrating fluid dowses but not too worried if I can't release it as it is spot on for me!

Carbon fork?
This is a maybe. Genesis have given me 375mm / 45mm Crown to axle / offset. I measure it more as 380mm but you'd hope they should know better!? Does 10mm on the fork length one way or the other really make a difference? Any recommendations?

Conclusion
The bike as it stands weighs 25.25lb with SPD pedals, according to my bathroom scales. The tyre change will lose 2.2lb, I guess I'd probably lose another 1lb with the wheel changes. So with the wheels and tyres change I reckon the bike will lose around 3.25lb of stogie weight and without pedals would come in at 21lb / 9.5kg (less maybe with carbon forks).

Overall cost (to outlay) about £500 to breath fresh life in to a bike I love. Winner!
PH

Post by PH »

TBaySimon wrote: 7 May 2023, 1:40pm Carbon fork?
This is a maybe.
Drop your fork out and weigh it. My guess is around 800g, you might find a quality fork at around 450 but if you're not careful you could end up with one at 650. Up to you if you consider the weight saving worthwhile, I prefer the feel of my 853 fork to the two carbon ones I've had, though they weren't particularly high end.
Does 10mm on the fork length one way or the other really make a difference?
IMO no.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

TBaySimon wrote: 7 May 2023, 1:40pm The seatpost is currently being subjected to penetrating fluid dowses but not too worried if I can't release it as it is spot on for me!
It may be perfect for you in terms of height but it's not going to do the frame any good with it being left in place. Seriously, get it out - if necessary take it to a reputable shop with the tools and knowledge to do it safely. It might destroy the seatpost itself but sorting it now will save it being unsalvageable a few years down the line.

Then add a new carbon seatpost to the shopping list!

;-)

Looking forward to seeing pics of the rebuilt bike!
TBaySimon

Post by TBaySimon »

rareposter wrote: 7 May 2023, 3:10pm
TBaySimon wrote: 7 May 2023, 1:40pm The seatpost is currently being subjected to penetrating fluid dowses but not too worried if I can't release it as it is spot on for me!
It may be perfect for you in terms of height but it's not going to do the frame any good with it being left in place. Seriously, get it out - if necessary take it to a reputable shop with the tools and knowledge to do it safely. It might destroy the seatpost itself but sorting it now will save it being unsalvageable a few years down the line.

;-)

Fair point!
TBaySimon

Post by TBaySimon »

PH wrote: 7 May 2023, 2:08pm
TBaySimon wrote: 7 May 2023, 1:40pm Carbon fork?
This is a maybe.
Drop your fork out and weigh it. My guess is around 800g, you might find a quality fork at around 450 but if you're not careful you could end up with one at 650. Up to you if you consider the weight saving worthwhile, I prefer the feel of my 853 fork to the two carbon ones I've had, though they weren't particularly high end.
Does 10mm on the fork length one way or the other really make a difference?
IMO no.
Another fair point!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

TBaySimon wrote: 7 May 2023, 4:49pm
rareposter wrote: 7 May 2023, 3:10pm

;-)

Fair point!
If your frame takes a 27.2 seatpost planet x have selcof monocoque carbon posts for £50 clearance