Flying in SPDs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chrisfarrow64

Flying in SPDs

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

I've got some very comfy and quite normally-walkable spd shoes. I'm flyinh next week and would like to avoid taking more pairs of footwear than necessary. Anyone got any experience of wearing spds on a plane? i.e. are they a problem at security?
pal

Re: Flying in SPDs

Post by pal »

I've never had a problem. I take them off at the security check (to go through the x-ray machine and avoid setting off the metal detector), but that's the only inconvenience.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't see it as an issue at all.
You can go through in safety boots with steel toecaps.
Even if the detector thingy goes off, you can explain and take them off if they want you to.

I went through a detector some few years ago, and had zero metal on my body or clothing. Even the flies on my shorts were plastic!
I got searched, and they found nothing of course, and told me that the machine goes off randomly, and that I was "Mr Random".
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pal wrote: 4 May 2023, 12:55pm I've never had a problem. I take them off at the security check (to go through the x-ray machine and avoid setting off the metal detector), but that's the only inconvenience.
Yes, it's much smarter to take them off in advance. And kinder to the people behind you in the queue.

Jonathan
pal

Post by pal »

Jdsk wrote: 4 May 2023, 3:12pm .... And kinder to the people behind you in the queue.

Jonathan
Well: depending on the state of one's socks, of course ... :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Jonathan
chrisfarrow64

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

Thanks folks, I've taken all of your names to offer in support if I get any trouble!
pal

Post by pal »

Yes, just tell them we said it was ok!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not had an issue with SPD's, padded bike shorts on the other hand!

I was doing a trip that literally started from the airport on the other side, to save faff (keeping an eye on a bike and kit in an airport while you get changed?) i put my shorts on at home so i was ready to go at the other end. No idea what the issue was, but was told it was because of the shorts, i ended up being strip searched!

My advice therefore, put the shorts on after you've been through security (you might want to wear something just out of public decency! :lol: )
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
borisface

Post by borisface »

You might have difficulties if all you have on are your cycling shoes.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I wouldn’t although I haven’t tried it- we’ve been stopped for various things over the years and it’s easier to avoid possible issues. If for some reason security don’t like them they’re going to confiscate them so you won’t have them on your trip.

I’m chuckling a little on the cycle shorts story (sorry about that)- it never occurred to me they could be an issue.

One day we’ll get all those nerf guns back from Heathrow…(9 year old son making sure he had adequate artillery in his backpack). He did really well with them being confiscated actually- he’s autistic and there’s a risk it could have gone a lot worse. And there’s a fairly long list of similar events for the family although we’ve not yet been refused travel - so I would say not worth it.
irc

Post by irc »

I've worn my SPDs on 8 transatlantic flights. Not an issue. Hadn't thought padded shorts might be an issue but I don't use them anway.

I do air travel in my Ron Hill Tracksters which are combined travel wear and cold days on the bike. Only issue I have had was getting a freeze dried meal confiscated entering USA.
scottg

Post by scottg »

chrisfarrow64 wrote: 4 May 2023, 12:46pm I've got some very comfy and quite normally-walkable spd shoes. I'm flyinh next week and would like to avoid taking more pairs of footwear than necessary. Anyone got any experience of wearing spds on a plane? i.e. are they a problem at security?
Sporty's Pilot Shop sells spd rudder pedal adapters, great for acrobatics it is said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've done it in the past, never been a problem. Obviously you have to remove the shoes for the metal detector.
chrisfarrow64

Re: Flying in SPDs - The Results

Post by chrisfarrow64 »

Not a problem. Manchester, Munich & Pisa airports didn't bat an eyelid. Manchester did however confiscate the very small allen key I'd packed in case they want me to remove the cleats....