Giro

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
rjb

Giro

Post by rjb »

Highlights being shown on DMAX Freeview channel 39.
7.0pm every evening starting tomorrow Saturday. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pigman

Re: Giro

Post by pigman »

Thanks for the heads-up mate👍
mjr

Post by mjr »

Also live on S4C from 1230, with highlights at 9, 9.30 or 10pm each day.

Or RAI or Eurosport if you have them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Was just going to post about DMax! Randomly found it while I was flicking through the guide for something to watch.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

given the option even though i have eurosport so the highlights on it tend to get moved or cancelled to suit anything else so i always record the other channel as i can at least watch it and highlights on eurosport just tend to start and end with no explanation of whats going on in regard to the standings etc .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Unfortunately it seems it's being overshadowed by Covid, I hope there are no more withdrawals but it seems unlikely.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Postboxer wrote: 15 May 2023, 7:46am Unfortunately it seems it's being overshadowed by Covid, I hope there are no more withdrawals but it seems unlikely.
I won't state my views on Covid but losing Evenepoel is a huge blow to the race.If Thomas wins it now he'll never really know if it's only because Evenepoel abandoned.
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's still a long way to go. Anything can happen in the next 2 weeks. Both Roglic and Thomas have lost important team mates to COVID so can they avoid it. Roglic looks to be in the box seat IMV.

There saving Pidcock for letour, but he's having a ball mopping up in MTB currently.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PedallingSquares

I don't think Roglic looks 100% either.He might ride into form.
Anything is possible and the Giro usually doesn't disappoint!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

PedallingSquares wrote: 15 May 2023, 10:45am
Postboxer wrote: 15 May 2023, 7:46am Unfortunately it seems it's being overshadowed by Covid, I hope there are no more withdrawals but it seems unlikely.
I won't state my views on Covid but losing Evenepoel is a huge blow to the race.If Thomas wins it now he'll never really know if it's only because Evenepoel abandoned.
I know what you mean but there are often/always withdrawals due to crashes or illness. Or someone gets unlucky and caught in the wrong place on a windy day etc. which was the race where Pogacar broke his wrist a month ago? That was supposed to be the big Pogacar/Evanpoel show down. If you look at it the other way the first four had each won a grand tour before and that’s not a coincidence. Still looks quite possible it could be TGH anyway- depends which of him a roglic and Thomas are stronger or will the Portuguese guy (or Caruso etc) come through. If Pogacar or Viinegard had rocked up would they have won against Evanpoel? (Apologies for all bad name spelling).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

G of all people will know that you need to be both in form and have luck on your side to lead or win a Grand Tour, so while I imagine he'd sooner be in pink by outperforming everyone else on the road he wouldn't be in pink at all if he didn't deserve to be. You might think of it as karma coming around after that stray bottle took him out in a previous edition...

It's a shame RE is out and it's a shame it's Covid, but them's the breaks.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes a real shame and very bad luck for Remco. I felt he had started to lose his dominance in the last two stages, I know he won the last TT but nothing like the amazing performance of the first, and wondered if he was tiring or suffering after the crash. Looks like the covid could have been responsible. He was right to withdraw if he was not 100% to protect himself and others. Luck plays its part in grand tours and G has been on the receiving end a number of times. But there is not much to choose between the top four and it could still be an interesting race, especially in the final week if the weather allows them to compete in the high mountains. I see the St Bernard pass route has already been changed.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Even if that was an issue, he'll always be a Tour de France winner - so why would he care?!?
PedallingSquares

mattheus wrote: 16 May 2023, 10:20am
Even if that was an issue, he'll always be a Tour de France winner - so why would he care?!?
Because some sports people like to know that they beat the best who participated.
Would Nibali have won the 2014 TDF if Froome hadn't crashed out?On Froomes form no and he would have won 5 on the bounce.
Wiggins would've won the previous year to his TDF win in 2012 also.
The records will show who won but if they're really honest about it they won by default.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

It's a shame Remco's out, as everything was setting up for a fascinating couple of weeks.
Even now, the dynamic of team tactics vs individual quality will be great to follow.
Definitely don't need any more WDs for any reason though. Fingers crossed.
Incidentally, I'm really enjoying the GCN coverage. Yes, well....