Giro

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
De Sisti

Re: Giro

Post by De Sisti »

rjb wrote: 20 May 2023, 7:12pm Was looking forward to tonites viewing but when I turned it on a message was screened apologising for the change of schedule. :(
Thomas is now 2nd overall having lost the lead to a lucky also ran who profitted from a break which finished over 20 minutes ahead of the peleton containing all the favourites.
It rained heavily all day according to the reports. :evil:
Losing the pink jersey was planned. Today (Sunday) is supposed to be a very tough climbing
stage, so his team didn't want the burden of controlling the peloton. Bruno Armirail isn't
considered to be a serious General Classification (GC) contender, so Ineos aren't too
bothered about him. Thomas's main concern is to keep an eye on Roglic.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

rjb wrote: 20 May 2023, 7:12pm Was looking forward to tonites viewing but when I turned it on a message was screened apologising for the change of schedule. :(
Disappointing and annoying wasn't it? And no reason given, on-screen or elsewhere. Wonder if it'll be on tonight.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

You can find a highlight show on S4c on the iplayer. Just search for Giro from the top.
I think it's also live on s4c during the day, but as I have gcn+, I've never bothered to check. I wonder if the commentary is in Welsh?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Pendodave wrote: 21 May 2023, 9:41am You can find a highlight show on S4c on the iplayer. Just search for Giro from the top.
I think it's also live on s4c during the day, but as I have gcn+, I've never bothered to check. I wonder if the commentary is in Welsh?
It is in welsh and the option for English sub-titles doesn't work :( .
rjb

Post by rjb »

After the recent hiccup on Saturday the highlights have been broadcast every day at 7pm on Dmax (in English i should add. :lol: ) Last few days heading for an exciting climax, and the weather looks atrocious which will be interesting. Here's hoping they all stay upright :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

rjb wrote: 24 May 2023, 12:09pm ... and the weather looks atrocious which will be interesting. ...
Despite showing lots of lovely places which I'd like to visit, I don't think that a late spring holiday in Italy will be on the radar for a bit!
The Italian tourist office must be slightly disappointed.
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

The one hour highlights programme each day is also available on the discovery+ app for free on various platforms (in HD I think). This is the web version:
https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/show/g ... ights-2023
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I can’t say I’ve really enjoyed this race- I know all grand tours are about endurance but this one has been ridiculously so. However it would be fun if G were to win another grand tour in the twilight of his career. Almeida looks hungry though and you can’t count Roglic out I don’t think.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Did G lose another teammate today?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Ineos are down three riders, full list of withdrawals here-

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/gi ... -the-race/

There's a list of each team at the bottom, revealing Jumbo-Visma have a full team whereas Quickstep are down to just two.

Hoping nothing goes wrong tomorrow. I think they should have attacked when Roglic changed bikes today. Seems fair to me when it's tactical rather than for a mechanical problem.

Does anyone know when bikes are checked during a tour and how close to weight limits the bikes are and what they do if they need to make them heavier? If Roglic changes to a special bike during a stage, will they check it at the finish line? How much weight does changing to 1x gearing save if any?
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Totally agree. Attack should have been made as the change was to gain advantage, not a mechanical issue. It did strike me as strange that this was allowed as it would almost be the equivalent in fencing to swapping your delicate épée for a cutlass to gain an advantage! I don’t know what the Giro rules are about changing mech kit in a race but surely you should start and finish on the same or almost same level bike as you started with!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I remember Froome changed bikes during a time trial once, I think perhaps it was like today's, flat then a climb, so he changed to a road bike for the climb, there was discussion by the pundits that maybe he shouldn't have been allowed to be pushed off by the mechanic, as it had been his choice to stop and the TT should be him and only him against the clock.
Roglic got a sizeable push off yesterday, we'll see what tactics teams employ today, yesterday Jumbo-Visma were claiming the bike on their roof yesterday morning was just ready early for today and not for yesterday's stage. So I assume there will be several changing bikes today. There was even mention of changing helmets.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They could change to really heavy bikes at the summits before long descents.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I'm pretty certain that they'll all be changing bikes today. Well, all the important riders anyway.
I wonder if the UCI will get involved on this shortly. They are normally quite sharp about nipping things in the bud before they get silly/dangerous.
I hope so. Having the speed/efficiency of a bike changeover potentially influencing results like in F1 seems to go against the spirit of cycling. And someone is bound to get hurt as they try to do it faster and faster.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They could start employing bobsleighers to push them off.