Giro

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: Giro

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 16 May 2023, 1:52pm Definitely don't need any more WDs for any reason though. Fingers crossed.
I don't think WD40 gave Remco COVID.
Incidentally, I'm really enjoying the GCN coverage. Yes, well....
Which is Eurosport coverage, except for a few shortened highlights shows.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PedallingSquares wrote: 16 May 2023, 12:37pm Wiggins would've won the previous year to his TDF win in 2012 also.
The records will show who won but if they're really honest about it they won by default.
"Wiggins" "TDF win" and "really honest" but the legal-but-questionable triamcinolone dose from the doctors? I'm still not sure if that particular record has been settled for all time. I'm sure Wiggins was following the doctors' advice, but those doctors were Freeman and Leinders, both since disgraced.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mjr wrote: 16 May 2023, 2:53pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 16 May 2023, 12:37pm Wiggins would've won the previous year to his TDF win in 2012 also.
The records will show who won but if they're really honest about it they won by default.
"Wiggins" "TDF win" and "really honest" but the legal-but-questionable triamcinolone dose from the doctors? I'm still not sure if that particular record has been settled for all time. I'm sure Wiggins was following the doctors' advice, but those doctors were Freeman and Leinders, both since disgraced.
'Really honest' is referring to those that won the Tours when Wiggins crashed out in 2011 and when Froome crashed out in 2014.
Bringing 'alleged' methods of 'cheating' into this would possibly involve ever GT winner fro the last 50 years!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pendodave wrote: 16 May 2023, 1:52pm
Incidentally, I'm really enjoying the GCN coverage. Yes, well....
In the next number of kilometres
Fatigue :D

Awful weather again this morning highlighting how rubbish those light race capes must be. Brightened up a bit on the other side of the hill but wet again as I type.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote: 16 May 2023, 3:43pm Awful weather again this morning highlighting how rubbish those light race capes must be. Brightened up a bit on the other side of the hill but wet again as I type.
I opined elsewhere that no racing rain capes will deal with that volume of water. It looks like the sort of downpour where tourers with mudguards, waterproof boots and full rain cape hide under cover for a bit, then get a train to the next rest town! I really hope the mechanics have fitted the grippiest tyres...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm not sure it counts as winning by default if other contenders have dropped out, part of the challenge is finishing the race, re COVID we don't know what precautions different teams and riders have/have not been taking so it could be luck, it could be carelessness. Didn't British Cycling or Team Sky have procedures in place years ago to try to reduce the amount of colds and other illnesses riders were catching? Marginal gains! More weather today.

Edit - It's still the remarkable thing about Armstrong's 'wins' that he managed to finish 7 times consecutively, perhaps the illegal assistance he was having took stress off his body, stress out of the race and stress of his mind, leaving him free to concentrate on taking it easy and not crash.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sorry to see TGH leave too. :(
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Postboxer wrote: 17 May 2023, 4:15pmIt's still the remarkable thing about Armstrong's 'wins' that he managed to finish 7 times consecutively.
Not really, plenty of riders have finished the Tour multiple times and without Armstrong's special assistants. Whilst he hasn't ridden it 7 time consecutively, Geriant has done 11 tours, only DNF'd once, and the gaps where he didn't ride the tour were the years when he targetted the Giro instead.

ps. Sylvain Chavanel rode 18 Tours, though his longest consecutive run was 6.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

sizbut wrote: 17 May 2023, 5:42pm
Postboxer wrote: 17 May 2023, 4:15pmIt's still the remarkable thing about Armstrong's 'wins' that he managed to finish 7 times consecutively.
Not really, plenty of riders have finished the Tour multiple times and without Armstrong's special assistants. Whilst he hasn't ridden it 7 time consecutively, Geriant has done 11 tours, only DNF'd once, and the gaps where he didn't ride the tour were the years when he targetted the Giro instead.

But not always whilst challenging for the lead, which surely increases the risks, taking more risks on downhills etc, though having an advantage uphill maybe reduced the risks taken downhill. Thomas finished second last one year and also had the broken pelvis year when he couldn't have challenged.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Your point was Armstrong's exceptional high number of finishes. But that starts to collapse at the first examination of all rider finishes - where 7 is in fact a modest number. If you want to put forward an idea, you better have grounded it in facts and present them.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Arguably you would expect a rider like Armstrong to have the lowest DNF:
- He's looked after by his team
- Makes all his time on uphills and solo TTs
- Never had to get involved in any sprints
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 19 May 2023, 8:17am Arguably you would expect a rider like Armstrong to have the lowest DNF:
- He's looked after by his team
- Makes all his time on uphills and solo TTs
- Never had to get involved in any sprints
Extra medical care 😉
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Postboxer wrote: 18 May 2023, 9:20pm
sizbut wrote: 17 May 2023, 5:42pm

But not always whilst challenging for the lead, which surely increases the risks, taking more risks on downhills etc, though having an advantage uphill maybe reduced the risks taken downhill. Thomas finished second last one year and also had the broken pelvis year when he couldn't have challenged.
I think GC contender team leaders are arguably least at risk, generally being protected close to the font to keep away from trouble. Would be interesting to see what the data shows on that though.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Pity the highlights DMAX coverage isn't in HD, like the Quest coverage used to be. Mind you I remember the old C4 Tour highlights limited coverage, not great picture quality. I do miss Pete Shelley's music though. Every time I hear that music you think of Hinault, Roche, Lemond, Robert Millar (as was), and the rest...
rjb

Post by rjb »

Was looking forward to tonites viewing but when I turned it on a message was screened apologising for the change of schedule. :(
Thomas is now 2nd overall having lost the lead to a lucky also ran who profitted from a break which finished over 20 minutes ahead of the peleton containing all the favourites.
It rained heavily all day according to the reports. :evil:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D