Commendable development

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Commendable development

Post by tykeboy2003 »

There had been a lot of housing development near me and recently they opened up a new cycle route across what used to be basically waste land. Also included is a mountain bike circuit (visible on the left) and this mock roundabout. I rarely pass it without loads of kids on it. Well done whoever planned and implemented this.
image.jpg
Jdsk

Re: Commendable development

Post by Jdsk »

Cadley Park?

The council's view, and where some of the money came from:
https://www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/news ... ef=default
includes:

"Cadley Park’s creation is the result of a £1 million green space investment and is being funded by 106 monies and South Derbyshire District Council, alongside a Sport England grant for the pump track - with support from British Cycling."

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 7 May 2023, 10:13am, edited 1 time in total.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Yes, the new route connects Oversetts Road with the bypass.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fear I'm "off the back of the bunch" with this, in spite of following the links (although I watched the vid without the sound)

Can somebody explain what's a "pump track" ?

Also, what purpose is served by a "mock roundabout" ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2023, 10:54am ...
Can somebody explain what's a "pump track" ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_track

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A pump track is a circuit of rollers,[a] banked turns and features designed to be ridden completely by riders "pumping"—generating momentum by up and down body movements, instead of pedaling or pushing.[1] It was originally designed for the mountain bike and BMX scene, and now, due to concrete constructions, is also used by skateboard, and accessible to wheelchairs. Pump tracks are relatively simple to use and cheap to construct, and cater to a wide variety of rider skill levels.
Thanks for the link which seems to have no relevance to what's illustrated in the OP (except it's said to be for cycling)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2023, 10:54am Also, what purpose is served by a "mock roundabout" ?
Training facility for kids maybe?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not trying to be in any way
tykeboy2003 wrote: 7 May 2023, 1:52pm
thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2023, 10:54am Also, what purpose is served by a "mock roundabout" ?
Training facility for kids maybe?
I'm not trying to be in any way negative here: on the contrary your fulsome praise led me to try to learn more.

I can see that any tracks/paths largely free from motor traffic will be attractive to a wide range of people including children and parents. As I look at your pic, I'm reminded of the shabby Sustrans "lowest common denominator" guidelines for roundabouts from the 1990s

download/file.php?id=18056&mode=view

I assume this is something much better
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

You will have to let me know what its like :)
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2023, 3:33pm I assume this is something much better
It's just a roundabout with an entry and an exit where it would be useful for kids to practice entering and leaving. There are probably much better facilities elsewhere, but credit where due, at least the council in this case have provided somewhere for the kids to play and maybe learn something. Which makes a change from the usual situation round here.
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 May 2023, 11:04am
A pump track is a circuit of rollers,[a] banked turns and features designed to be ridden completely by riders "pumping"—generating momentum by up and down body movements, instead of pedaling or pushing.[1] It was originally designed for the mountain bike and BMX scene, and now, due to concrete constructions, is also used by skateboard, and accessible to wheelchairs. Pump tracks are relatively simple to use and cheap to construct, and cater to a wide variety of rider skill levels.
Thanks for the link which seems to have no relevance to what's illustrated in the OP (except it's said to be for cycling)
If you zoom in you can just see the pump track in the top left corner, in front of the houses. There is one in our local park which gets lots of use by kids of all ages.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

tomsumner49 wrote: 8 May 2023, 10:58am

If you zoom in you can just see the pump track in the top left corner, in front of the houses. There is one in our local park which gets lots of use by kids of all ages. (My bold)
Thanks for that - especially the bit I have highlighted - which I find very helpful.