The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge was closed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
scoot

The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge was closed

Post by scoot »

Hi All,
Updated - now open

I am doing the Way of the Roses in a little over 2 weeks, I've used TWOTR website route and have planned 2 hotel overnights en route / modified my gpx accoprdingly.

In some final research I've just disovered that the Aldwark Bridge is closed for most of this year and hence started looking at my route for a suitable diversions.

It does not appear that Sistrans have a diversion in place and the one reccomended on TWOTR website sounds like a walk along a footpath. before I go on Garmin connect, is there a suitable diversion to keep us on nice countr lanes?

I'm not to good with IT and hence no piccies but from my Garmin Connect I can see 2 options:

North route: carry on at Boroughbridge, Thornton Bridge, Flawith, Tollerton and straight down to Yoek
Southern route: Follow route to Great Ouseburn, then on to Thrope UnderwoodTockwith, Rufforth and into the south of York.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

ATB

Paul
Last edited by scoot on 18 Feb 2024, 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
keyboardmonkey

Re: The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge closed

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Before I did the WotR a few years ago I did another coast to coast from Morecambe to the North Sea at East Yorkshire. I went through Boroughbridge then Brafferton/Helperby and so on, but we passed through Easingwold, so continued further north than York.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks Keyboardmonkey,

Your route from Boroughbrideg is my northern option, what were the roads like please?

TIA,

Paul
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

scoot wrote: 8 May 2023, 6:34pm Thanks Keyboardmonkey,

Your route from Boroughbridge is my northern option, what were the roads like please?

TIA,

Paul
It was a few years ago, but they were quiet enough for me. I had done a one-way trial run from Masham (or thereabouts), which is why I passed through Brafferton/Helperby. I'm wary of busier roads, which is why I stayed with the route through and beyond Easingwold.

Off the top of my head I can't remember where I picked up the WotR route again on our earlier unofficial ride, but we certainly passed through Driffield. Happy to answer any further questions if I can dig out the (pre Garmin) route...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm very familiar with Aldwark Bridge but I cannot help you with your query about the footpath.

In common with so much else of the country, the big thing about roads in this area has been the inexorable growth of motor traffic.

A lot depends on whether you intend to visit York (as a city) If you don't intend to do so, then I'd suggest keyboardmonkey's northerly routeas carrying a bit less traffic.

If you do intend to visit York, then the A64 has rather squalid separate bike tracks. If you follow any version of a more southerly route, you will almost inevitably end up on the A64

(keyboardmonkey typed faster than me)
===============================================
PS Here's a now rather dated thread I started about the A64, including some pics on flickr

viewtopic.php?p=681031#p681031
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Hmm. I posted then deleted a reference to a footbridge that can be crossed by bike a short distance to the north of the toll bridge. After pressing 'Submit' I re-read your first post and saw that you had mentioned it.

So then I did a bit of digging and a three-year-old post refers to the toll bridge closure at that time. I reckon it does look doable, even if you have to push your bike for a bit:

https://wwyork.org/2020/06/16/aldwark-bridge-closure/
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Not sure if the OP has already seen this, but another interesting read, here on Facebook. It is a shared interest group - and open - so you don't need to be logged in to FB to view comments made by others.

The thread started on 27th April 2023 by Sean Mccarney is worth a read:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268967598466500/
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thats brilliant info:

Thirdcrank: I was thinking of going through York and really want to miss the A64. I had a scan of your previous thread, very interesting.
Keyboardmonkey: thanks for the OS map, I think this is my best option, I'd like to keep to the original route if possible and this shows it should be a good option. Looks like not too much of a push :)

I am truly grateful.

Thanks

Paul
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some of this is pure memory lane for me. Back in my distant teens, the toll for a bicycle was one penny ie an "old" penny. A group of a dozen riders totted up to one shilling. Had we known about that footpath, I think it would have been regularly used, which may be why it's only recently made it onto OS maps.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thirdcrank,

I'll find out in 2 weeks :)

Looking like a perfect option

Paul
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 May 2023, 6:55pm

If you do intend to visit York, then the A64 has rather squalid separate bike tracks. If you follow any version of a more southerly route, you will almost inevitably end up on the A64

Several times i've approached York from the west, you don't have to go along the A64, there are alternatives depending on how far south you want to go, that use lanes/cycle paths to take you into York with minimal traffic.

As you head south you could take the Tockwith, Long Marston road and either take the B1224 directly into York or frop further through the Askhams or
drop down to Thorpe Arch and go via Wighill, Healaugh and the Askhams or
from Tadcaster about 200m of A64 path and you are on single lane roads through Catterton and the Askhams again
or the loop south of the A64 via Oxton and Appleton Roebuck brings you in through Bishopthorpe.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

The good news is that any diversion in that vicinity is likely to be flat, so a few extra miles won't be an ordeal. Eg:

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/426918
Last edited by pwa on 8 May 2023, 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi pwa

The good news is that any diversion in that vicinity is likely to be flat, so a few extra miles won't be an ordeal.

Good news :)

Paul
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In reply to foxyrider

All true, and it wasn't my intention to imply that the A64 was the only way, just that modern developments tend to guide traffic that way.

A lifetime of living here or hereabouts has left me familiar with most of the roads (although I'm weak on off-road eg the footpath at Aldwark.)

I think it worth noting that since the uprating of the A1 to motorway status, that has reduced the east - west crossings, but compensated to some extent by the provision of a reasonable north - south more or less alongside the motorway.

A lot depends how much the OP wants to improvise their own route. My instinct would be to recommend keyboardmonkey's footpath, but I'm always ready to try to cover anything else
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I rode that way a couple of weeks ago on the day the bridge closed. As stated there is a footbridge a little way to the north and on the other side you can pick up a footpath. I was with a few other cyclists and we rode it. Perfectly rideable (of course not strictly legal). Only a short diversion from the normal route.